Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • Reducing i2i length of rear shock?
  • Johnski
    Free Member

Is it possible to shorten the i2i length of an air shock and sacrifice some of the stroke?

Continuing my upgrade of kids 24″ full sus bike. Looking to fit a short eye to eye length air shock, the current one is 145mm. A 160mm i2i should keep the geometry close enough with some sag set but it will raise the bb and steepen head angle? Stroke of 25mm would be more than enough travel.

Any recommendations?

glasgowdan
    Free Member

So you’re looking to lengthen it, not shorten it?

gazc
    Free Member

if you’re wanting to put a longer shock on for more travel some offset bushes will give you a few mm off the length

amedias
    Free Member

You could also try looking for a 152×31 (an off the peg, but not that common now, size) stroke shock, close enough and with offset bush would be almost drop in replacement for the current one.

Make sure you check all the clearances at fukll travel and extension though.

fallsoffalot
    Free Member

sorry .have read the question a few times and dont understand

bigyinn
    Free Member

You cant change the length of the shock yourself.
    You could change how much it sags, but the eye to eye length and stroke aren’t really changeable except by Loco / Mojo etc.

teethgrinder

Offst bushes should get you about 5-7mm off the i2i. I do that to ‘reduce’ a 200x57mm to about 190x50mm on the FSR.

richwales

teethgrinder – Member
    Offst bushes should get you about 5-7mm off the i2i. I do that to ‘reduce’ a 200x57mm to about 190x50mm on the FSR.
    POSTED 15 MINUTES AGO #

Doesn’t that give you 190 x 57 tho as the stroke remains the same.

Johnski
    Free Member

Shortest I can find is 152 x 31, a current size for a Monarch shock, not a commonly used size I guess? Will need second hand for my budget.

doof_doof
    Free Member

http://faqload.com/faqs/bicycle-components/suspension/fox-float-r-shock-shortening

Fox did a short (155mm?) shock for bikes like the old Scalpel, but are quite rare to find.

teethgrinder

richwales – Member

Doesn’t that give you 190 x 57 tho as the stroke remains the same.

Certainly does – bumps rear travel up to 152mm from 120mm on the original 185mm shock. Also has the benefit of raising the BB enough not to get pedal strikes all the time, but in combination with the 160mm Lyriks slackens the head angle a bit.

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)

The topic ‘Reducing i2i length of rear shock?’ is closed to new replies.