• This topic has 33 replies, 17 voices, and was last updated 7 years ago by csb.
Viewing 34 posts - 1 through 34 (of 34 total)
  • Reducing chainring size on SRAM Rival
  • csb

I have a SRAM Rival 50/34 110BCD chainset.

I don’t use the hardest gears and as I’m going touring think I need an easier gear.

Is it feasible to fit new rings (say 44/30) and keep the rest of the mechs and stuff?

davidtaylforth
    Free Member

No.

scotroutes

What size of cassette do you have? It might be easier to tackle this at the other end of the bike.

orangeboy
    Free Member

Looks like some rival Chainsets like the 22 have the same removable spider as many other sram chainsets.
    It may be possible to fit an mtb spider. But chain line may be a issue. And it’s probably cheaper to just buy a cheap whole Chainset.

dovebiker

Smallest chainring you can fit on a 110mm spider is 34 so unless you can fit a different spider, you may be better looking at a bigger cassette or otherwise new chainset – FSA just launched a new road double with 30 inner ring.

breatheeasy
    Free Member

I’d consider the cassette, but then you’re probably looking at a new rear mech, chain and cassette so might add up.

There aren’t really any sub compact chiansets for road use – Middleburn did one that’d get you to 30/46 but it was crazy money.

I think FSA are bringing out some ‘Adventure’ chainsets for gravel use that might tick the box if you’re in no rush.

Otherwise it’d most likely be a triple you need with the outer chainring removed, or an experiment with an MTB double at the front.

dirtyrider
    Free Member
    dirtyrider
    Free Member

some stuff here as well

Spider attack!

scotroutes

Rival 22 is 46/36 and might be an easier swap-in

breatheeasy
    Free Member

How will a 36 chainring be better than a 34 if OP wants lower gears?

scotroutes

I was assuming it might open up a smaller inner ring option. Not so? Bugger!

mattsccm
    Free Member

I use a MTB double on the Pickenflick. 28\42 with standard front mech and a MTB triple with 42 outer in the middle position and a 24 inner on the Cotic X. Standard front mech again. Pick has 11-32 with medium rear mech and the X has 11-28 with short rear mech. If you can’t find a nice super compact try something like mine. Super compacts like the Sugino are still really triples as they have the nasty step where an outer ring should be albeit sculpted a bit. Like MTB doubles the big ring is inside the spider and thus wrong!!! Watch the Q factor. MTB doubles are rather wide. I reckon a SRAM mtb spider would fit a road axle this giving a better width.

crashtestmonkey
    Free Member

that’s the CX ring setup.

ianfitz
    Free Member

Spa cycles have some super compact doubles. Not the lightest but 65£ as I remember

csb

Thanks all, food for thought.

bumper
    Free Member

single 34 ring on the front, rival 1 rear mech or equivalent and a 42t cassette.

cookeaa

You’re not going to be able to go below 34 on the inner but a smaller outer ring is possible.

Take your pick from these or these… pretty much any size you fancy can be tried relatively cheaply.

csb

its easier gears im after. Bumper – is there a reason i couldnt retain the double chainset and do the 11-42 cassette at the back? Chain length?

mattsccm
    Free Member

A double with that cassette would probably be beyond that capability of the rear mech. Also a 34/42 ratio would be silly low. That’s dragging a bike overloaded with a years touring gear up a Himalayan pass against the wind gearing.

simondbarnes

Also a 34/42 ratio would be silly low. That’s dragging a bike overloaded with a years touring gear up a Himalayan pass against the wind gearing.

Is it? I have *much* lower gearing than that on my touring bike.

csb

Any reason that I couldnt use an 11 speed mtb rear mech on the back with a new 11-36 cassette, longer chain and my existing rival 22 (34/50) chainset, and rival front mech?

And can shimano 11 speed mtb mechs be used with SRAM road levers?

csb

The SRAM Apex 1 rear mech that goes to 42 teeth is for 1X11 only.

happybiker
    Free Member

If you’re interested I have a brand new x0 double spider with rings and a NSB spider which takes regular Shimano MTB rings if that’s of any use. No idea if it will work but the option is there.

csb

anyone know if mtb mechs work on road drivetrains?

garage-dweller

Csb Shimano 10 speed are not cross compatible mtb/road.

But I think mtb-9 mech and road-10 shifter combo might work.

SRAM no idea

aP
    Free Member

There aren’t really any sub compact chiansets for road use – Middleburn did one that’d get you to 30/46 but it was crazy money.

Praxis works, FSA and Sugino make ‘Compact+’ chainsets. I’ve just received 2 Sugino OX-901-D 44-30 chainsets to lower the hearing on herself’s bike and the other one will be going on my Bokeh in March.

mattsccm
    Free Member

Simon, that’s what I was suggesting.
    I looked at the Sugino, so tempted but its still a MTB chain set with the outer ring removed. If it had a mid and outer rung set up it could be moved inwards.
    All MTB doubles that I have seen or used are the same. The sugino is nicer than most. The Praxis doesn’t seem to be about and haven’t seen the FSA.
    Of course the obvious answer us square taper where there is stacks of choice and the BBs last. The White is pretty.

ampthill

Assuming we are talking SRAM road ten speed then then you can run MTB 10 speed derailleurs front or rear. Meaning you can do a bigger cassette and or MTB cranks

Low Gear Range: Road Shifters & Gears For Easier Hill Climbing

ampthill

FSA just launched a new road double with 30 inner ring.

Have you seen that retail? I thought it OEM only at the moment

csb

it’s an 11 speed SRAM Rival road setup . with double ring chainset.

So what I’m asking is, can I use a rear mtb deraillier (to get the clearance to get 11 speed 11-36 or 11-40 cassette) and keep my shifters. not fussed if SRAM or Shimano, whatever works.

ampthill

So what I’m asking is, can I use a rear mtb deraillier (to get the clearance to get 11 speed 11-36 or 11-40 cassette) and keep my shifters. not fussed if SRAM or Shimano, whatever works.

Yes if you buy one of the ratio converter things, not otherwise. Use the link

Your mech may cope with 36 teeth as is if it is medium cage. Might be worth asking that as a seprate specific question

aP
    Free Member

Q factor of the Sugino cranks is 145mm, there’s not much out there with a smaller number. And they come with a ceramic BB in the box.

csb

thanks all, i see easier hill climbing on the horizon

csb

I’m not precious about square taper or looks.

Has anyone used the spa cycles super compact chainset, with a square taper bottom bracket, on a road bike?

My kit is 11 speed.

Would it shift on the front OK using the current mech?

Does it matter that the chain is 11 speed?

And would it mess up the shifting and chainline at the rear?

Viewing 34 posts - 1 through 34 (of 34 total)

The topic ‘Reducing chainring size on SRAM Rival’ is closed to new replies.