Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Reducing bit rate in iTunes
  • swoosh
    Free Member

I have downloaded some songs into iTunes but they are quite a high bit rate and I am wanting to reduce their file size so I can put them on my phone.

I realise this will reduce the quality of music somewhat but i'm prepared for that.

I am running iTunes 9 and in old versions of iTunes you used to be able to click 'Advanced – Convert to MP3' and it would re-rip them at your predetermined bitrate but 9 does not have this option, it has 'Convert to AAC' but I want MP3 format.

As I downloaded these songs I cannot re-import them at the lower rate.

Anyone got any tips? Do I need another programme to do this?

retro83
    Free Member

in preferences change format to MP3 and bitrate to whatever you want. It's under "Import CD" or something

swoosh
    Free Member

retro83 – i found that but that only refers to when importing from a CD, but i've downloaded the songs and they are already in iTunes.

retro83
    Free Member

retro83 – i found that but that only refers to when importing from a CD, but i've downloaded the songs and they are already in iTunes.

really? I thought that set the format used for converting existing files also. My mistake.

Milkie
    Free Member

If its for an iPhone, there is an option to lower bitrate to 192 or 128 (cant remember) for all songs transferred to the iPhone. I think if you click on your iphone in iTunes, its one of the options where you've got copy contacts/notes to outlook etc.

MSP

copy the music folder to another location.
    delete songs from itunes
    re-import at lower bit rate.

I wouldn't do it myself, I would rather just put what I can on my phone for now, you will probably upgrade to a phone with more memory sooner or later.

swoosh
    Free Member

retro83 – I'll try it tonight but it might mean I have to copy files into another folder then recopy them into the iTunes library using the new lower rate. might work, i'll give it a go and see.

Milkie – not for iPhone, it's for Sony Ericsson phone.

tomzo
    Free Member

Select the songs then click on advanced from the menu bar and click Create AAC/MP3* Version

* will create a version using whatever the settings are in the import settings.

Spongebob
    Free Member

Make sure you keep the original files. Useful for when you have a high quality system at home and when portable media players gain much more memory.

retro83
    Free Member

retro83 – I'll try it tonight but it might mean I have to copy files into another folder then recopy them into the iTunes library using the new lower rate. might work, i'll give it a go and see.

You just select the file and go to Advanced > Create AAC/MP3 version

edit: as tomzo says, I think what I originally said does apply though

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)

The topic ‘Reducing bit rate in iTunes’ is closed to new replies.