Viewing 21 posts - 41 through 61 (of 61 total)
  • Redlands (Surrey Hills) just got a new jump…
  • youshouldknowbetter
    Free Member

Actually I’m prob more local to the area than most, and prob know it much better than most. Def been coming to Redlands a lot longer than most. Far as I know redlands is nobodies back garden – and I do own the FC, part of it anyway. Contentious, always has been. But hey that’s where the fun is. Busy, no. They’re all over at Pitch. Most of the time I never see anyone in Redlands. Sadly it’s beyond the skill set of the forum keyboard warriors. Open access, Scottish style, is what we need.

Squawk Squawk!

Lifer
    Free Member

🙄

youshouldknowbetter
    Free Member

Strange that the chicken run keyboard warriors should be described as ‘the actives’? The prob is that if they rode as much as they punched the keyboard they might not feel so threatend by a bunch of easy jumps…

yunki
    Free Member

did someone get banned earlier?

youshouldknowbetter
    Free Member

Squawk Squawk, were’s that chicken run whe u need it…

yunki
    Free Member

Squawk Squawk, were’s that chicken run whe u need it…

[video]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H0gjkRkl4z4[/video]

DanW
    Free Member

I have a sign that says I’m a great performer 😀 How apt

bubs

jambalaya
    Free Member

There are plenty of feature in the Surrey Hils large and small, new stuff is being built all the time. OP I’d you really are local and a regular rider in the Surrey Hills you’ll know why any new building is done discretely and why it’s not publicised.

Shackleton

OP – just out of curiosity, what is your age, biking background, etc? I’m genuinely interested to know because as part of a trails group we want to get people engaged with building sustainable trails that suit their riding without damaging access or causing inadvertent injury to others. The difficulty we have is the appearance of poorly planned or thought out illicit stuff in an area used by MTBs, walkers, horses, kids, etc. (most recent 2 were a 4 ft blind drop onto a busy bridal way and a berm through an ancient SSSI site) and trying to discuss possible options with the makers in a constructive manner (i.e. keep everyone as happy as possible).

I live nowhere near the SE now but have ridden in crowded biking areas over many years (Bristol mainly) with access issues of one sort or another. One of the main gripes that land managers have is the construction of jump/drops/features without their input as they can be unsafe and people may have an accident because their normally familiar trail is suddenly different to how it was yesterday. Another problem is that even if you make world class features others may interpret the appearance of new features as a license to do other stuff. This can lead to some downright dangerous trail modifications happening.

I applaud your desire to get involved and wish more people did but please, particularly in areas with troubled or contentious access, go through the nearest thing there is to an official channel. I know it isn’t quite what you may want but it is the best compromise between getting the trails you want and the risk of having no trails at all.

And while you may not think you have done anything “wrong” or agree with the sentiment or tone of those who have criticized you for your actions I think the abuse you have sent back is rather unwarranted. Engage with them and see if you can understand where they are coming from. They are worried that your actions will jeopardise access by many MTBers to a valuable piece of riding land, and may even have ramifications beyond the immediate area. Calling them chicken for doing so at best shows a lack of care, insight or understanding; at worst it shows a real lack of empathy, total self-absorption or deliberate trolling.

deadkenny
    Free Member

^^^ well said

climbingkev
    Free Member

That ^^^. Well put.

nealglover
    Free Member

Shackleton, I totally agree with what you have written, but think you may have wasted your time.

The last two words of your post sum it up totally.

Shackleton

Maybe, maybe not. I’d rather risk feeding a troll than stand idly by and risk much more.

jambalaya
    Free Member

We commend you for that.

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

#VoteShackleton

singletrackmind

Shackleton for PM.

matt_outandabout

hug shackleton?

plyphon
    Free Member

is pinkbike leaking

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

is pinkbike leaking

Utterly bloody genius, sir! Brilliant!

nealglover
    Free Member

is pinkbike leaking

Viewing 21 posts - 41 through 61 (of 61 total)

The topic ‘Redlands (Surrey Hills) just got a new jump…’ is closed to new replies.