• This topic has 90 replies, 34 voices, and was last updated 9 years ago by Sui.
Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 91 total)
  • Redlands (Surrey Hills) – FC dismantling trails
  • WaywardRider
    Free Member

Heard (from dog walker friend who was up there today) that the FC have been putting up notices in Redlands threating closure of the trails there.

They’ve always been unauthorised by the FC bureaucrats – but custom and practice have given them legitimacy. Some of the more challenging trails in the Surrey Hills away from the weekend warrior honey pot of Peaslake. Hope they don’t go…

Anyone know anything?

scotroutes

😆

Sui
    Free Member

I was up there last night. Yes lots of signs up, very polite mind you just saying they’ve removed a trail feature. There were a couple of trails where the trail had been cut short like uncle fester but others seemed intact. It may just be early days and they may be doing the lo. I’ll find our on Sat.

Gotama
    Free Member

Will be a shame if they do but the trails up there have to be some of the most contentious in the area. Besides, isn’t it private land so unlikely to be FC doing anything?

Sui
    Free Member

It will just be the 12,24 month cycle that happens in Redlands. If people stop putting stupid gaps in, in easily visible places they don’t get the arse.!

Sui
    Free Member

It is private, but leased to FC. When is The pheasant season?

WaywardRider
    Free Member

Actually it’s owned by the FC but leased to a local farmer who runs pheasant shoots there. The game keeper isn’t bothered by mtbing, more concerned with anauthorised access by 4 wheel drives and quad bikes. Hence the recent steel barriers. Apparently 4wd smashed the wooden gate to gain access.

mikey74
    Free Member

Do you mean the Summer lightning stuff, or the “other stuff”, where the filming was going on a few years ago?

mattjg
    Free Member

The flip side of being cheeky is discretion.

mattjg
    Free Member

It’s not Summer Lighting, mikey. Different aspect of the hill.

torihada
    Free Member

There’s some nice stuff on Redlands; I think a trail like Turning Japanese should be safe as its quite discrete and there’s no built features. C’est la vie.

mikey74
    Free Member

It’s not Summer Lighting, mikey. Different aspect of the hill.

I think I know where you are talking about. I used to love it there, but I had heard that access had been stopped. I may have to check it out at the weekend.

Sui
    Free Member

Fairly certain the land is private and FC just manage it. For the years I’ve been riding there it was always the farmer who hated MTBs on the land, and FC were just carrying out instructions/policy..

nuke

Hope nothing comes if it but we’ll see. Had signs before but storm damage does more trail blocking than FC/farmer. Lots of trails in quite a tight area but i rarely see anyone aside the usual suspects

spacemonkey

Don’t think I’ve seen a single MTBer up there in 2-3 years. Don’t tend to hang around there myself though, usually just hack up to the top from the the A24 or else head down the remaining sections of old skool goodness (WOM etc) and be done with it.

Didn’t those gates get erected (for the first time?) or smashed in years ago?

Shame, have always had a strange affinity for the place. That log run was fun in the wet back in the day.

mattjg
    Free Member

This has happened before. What goes down comes up.

mikewsmith
    Free Member

Is there not a local group who can approach the FC and discuss the trails? Working together must be the best option???

mattjg
    Free Member

I think I know where you are talking about.

No doubt.

The clue’s in the thread title, anyone with an OS map and a bit of trail sniffing instinct can find it.

There are rights of way.

deadkenny
    Free Member

As said, this goes round in cycles, and yes it’s private ownership under FC management, but then most are anyway. It’s just the landowner would prefer bikes keep off and has made threats in the past of getting police involved etc (though they’ll only get involved if they can catch people digging, i.e. criminal damage).

I feel it’s just a front really to scare people off when there are activities going on. A film shoot upcoming again perhaps? 😉

General rule amongst folk who ride there is to not shout much about the place. For one thing because of the sensitive nature, but also the place is quite nice and quiet. If the hoards moved in from Peaslake it would be trashed and the landowner really would go nuts, it would generate a lot of anti-bike press and we end up with more articles about vandalism by “drunken swearing hooligans” 😉

tyredbiker
    Free Member

There has been more mtbers up there recently than there has been in a long time. The trails are looking increasingly obvious too- deadkenny hits the nail on the head

General rule amongst folk who ride there is to not shout much about the place. For one thing because of the sensitive nature, but also the place is quite nice and quiet. If the hoards moved in from Peaslake it would be trashed and the landowner really would go nuts, it would generate a lot of anti-bike press and we end up with more articles about vandalism by “drunken swearing hooligans”

Sonor
    Free Member

but custom and practice have given them legitimacy.

😆 Blimey, I must remember this the next time when I want to acquire land.

Is there not a local group who can approach the FC and discuss the trails? Working together must be the best option???

It was the local trailbuilders who got caught digging there quite a while back. FE then gave them some land to build on, and that became Summer lightning, the builders were Redlands Trails.

This happens every few years, the last time was when a famous, or infamous trail builder added his touch to the trails.

jambalaya
    Free Member

Agreed with DK. Too many trails are too obvious these days in certain places. IME the best stuff is well hidden with an effort to ensure there are no obvious trail heads.

mattjg
    Free Member

DK nailed it. Threads on prominent forums don’t help with discretion either. If there is more traffic I guess that’s a side effect of SL2 being nearby, there would be no winners if the hordes moved in. Let’s let this thread die a quiet death.

bubs

Local trails for local riders :wink
    I believe one of the reasons they become more obvious is people riding/ploughing them through winter.

deadkenny
    Free Member

bubs – Member
    Local trails for local riders

True. I’m not a fan of the whole “local people only” or rather building a trail on land that isn’t yours or public access land and then wanting no one to use it but you and your mates. If you build a trail, it should be for the community as a whole, otherwise on private land you own.

However I’m conflicted as there are some lovely trails, or even just nice quiet countryside with trails dotted about which really are nice when there aren’t too many people about. I don’t feel they should be restricted to just a core group, but at the same time you only have to look at the situation around Peaslake on a weekend to see where you don’t want it to go (lovely trails though they are around there).

futonrivercrossing
    Free Member

I love it when I see some fresh tread marks on a new trail I’ve built – it means it’s been discovered and enjoyed ! 😀

I’ll be unveiling a new trail on tonight’s night ride.

Gotama
    Free Member

The trails in peaslake are getting to the point where the main routes are going to need the same kind of top treatment that the new trail on Leith received. Traffic is so heavy on them now, even through winter, they suffer a lot of wear. The bomb hole bit on evian is going to result in an ambulance trip soon for someone as the entry to it is getting steeper with some chunky roots poking through. I’m not against it per se, just slightly concerned that an accident could lead to the destruction of a cracking trail. Anyway, I digress, must explore Redlands more as I only found a few last time I was over that way.

deanfbm
    Free Member

Was at peaslake the other sunday, friend was demoing a bike and wanted to go over there. Could not believe how busy it was. Felt bad for the trails getting royally battered in filthy conditions.

Why were these people out?

Can’t they stick to more sustainable trails when it’s filthy out. Though the main trails of holmbury are pretty weather resistant, i’d say pitch/winterfold/leith really need minimal riding in the winter. I write them off as soon as it gets to winter, they’re slow, rubbish compared to the dry (though still pretty good in the wet), when you could be getting the same bang for buck on more sustainable trails, leaving the good trails in better nick for when it dires up.

WaywardRider
    Free Member

What I like about redlands is that I rarely see anyone else there. Trails are def getting more use now though as many formely hidden trails are now all too obvious.

Anyone remember ‘wave of mutilation’ there? The one over the big fallen tree and then sharply up hill. This was from 5/6 years ago. Nirvana built I recall. Now fallen into complete disuse though still just manageable.

mattjg
    Free Member

The bomb hole bit on evian is going to result in an ambulance trip soon for someone as the entry to it is getting steeper with some chunky roots poking through.

So I heard. A mate broke his frame on that last week, hitting the compression a lot harder than he expected.

I also read that there were queues for some of the popular trails at Pitch last weekend, I’ve never seen that.

Hard to see how this is sustainable, something’s going to give.

Dean local culture, well before the area became known, has been year round riding. Hard to see how it’s going to change.

We should make a new thread if we want to talk about this, let’s not push the Redlands URL.

teamhurtmore
    Free Member

Oh dear, haven’t been up to winterfold for a while. Hope the Evian bomb hole isn’t getting ruined (eh, jambalaya!! 😉 )

mattjg
    Free Member

I’m certainly going to eyeball it before I ride it again. I’m a bit of a wuss tho compared to the huck-hounds. I’ve done injured, it’s over-rated.

teamhurtmore
    Free Member

I thought it was just me with that bomb hole. Took me three or four attempts before I was happy. Like all bomb holes, once you have done it once, you wonder why you ever minced!! But a bit our of practice. I can see how you could easily come a cropper on it.

Northern monkey is my current bogey. Always fall of on it!

Hob-Nob
    Free Member

Up until it started to get wet, Evian was probably running the best it ever has, with the little bit of work to berm up a few of the corners.

The bombhole is always good for a hucker’s neck moment.

deadkenny
    Free Member

The bomb hole on Evian I’ve learnt just varies with conditions. It caught me out a couple of years back in similar situation where it had got very steep, then as it dries out and wears during the summer it becomes easier, then weather exposes the roots again, etc.

Though it’s fine at the moment. Aim slightly to the right and fine. Bigger issue are the puddles at the bottom, and worse the boggy hell at the end of Evian 😀

deanfbm – Member
    Was at peaslake the other sunday, friend was demoing a bike and wanted to go over there. Could not believe how busy it was. Felt bad for the trails getting royally battered in filthy conditions.

Why were these people out?

Sunday is the worst day and guaranteed now that Walking Bottom will be full around mid morning.

I’ve noticed over the years, aside from shit loads more people there now, a lot of people seem to come out at weekends, especially Sunday, during winter months when it’s boggy, compared to the summer. Which is odd, as you’d think there’d be more with fair weather riders. Maybe in the summer people make trips away, are on holiday or tend to be doing sunny weather family things.

Sui
    Free Member

that bombehole as said is going to cause someone some injury. It fooking hurts hitting it at speed, plus it’s also filling up quite nicely with rain water, so it’s more a soup bowel now..

futonrivercrossing
    Free Member

I rode that bomb hole on Evian last week – I’ve never ridden that trail before and wasn’t expecting it, I had time to think “oh shit” but managed to pull it off with a slightly hysterical chuckle 😉 – those roots half way down are now lodged in my memory though.

mashiehood
    Free Member

Evan – the hole – During the summer I went over the bars and smacked my jaw onto a root, no minus a tooth as a result.

mattjg
    Free Member

soup bowel

serendipitous auto-correct 😕

minus a tooth as a result

yowch. that’s your modelling contracts cancelled then.

a shame this, it used to be a pleasant roll/drop about the level I’m happy with.

anyway things change, so it goes, and it’s good to be warned.

NigE5
    Free Member

Evian bomb hole claimed a victim about 3 weeks ago, guy prejumped it, very experienced rider, and right angled his ankle, ambulance was summoned.

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 91 total)

The topic ‘Redlands (Surrey Hills) – FC dismantling trails’ is closed to new replies.