Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)
  • Redbull Soapbox Derby
  • cynic-al
    Free Member

Anyone else applying?

Just for asking for an application pack they send you 2 cans!

Looks a right laugh. No idea how I’d get a go-kart transported to the smoke from Edinburgh, I suppose it could go on the back of the MX5…

hammyuk
    Free Member

Have a look online at the videos from last year – absolotelyfreakininsane!!!!!!

bol

My seven year old daughter and I have just built a soapbox cart and would love to give it a go, but I believe you need proper steering with a wheel to enter (ours is basically plank and rope with bungee cord self centring). We only had wood and very little skill so kept it simple. The lesson we learned from watching the redbull stuff on YouTube is strong wheels and low centre of gravity. Donor BMXs have worked really well for us (wheels, forks used at the back, and brakes).

bol

First time on the big hill this morning:

Still a bit of finishing off to do.

wrightyson
    Free Member

Love the backwards mounted forks, sir I salute you!

cynic-al
    Free Member

My application book mentions no requirement of steering wheel, only braking and steering which must be independent (?).

My guess is you’d need to jazz that up a bit to get accepted – only 50 carts allowed in.

luffy105
    Free Member

You need to bring something to the party to get accepted. We did the flugtag years ago and the only reason we got in was because one of the team ‘worked’ for the London news team. He was basically the coffee boy but we didn’t let that bit slip. Red bull is a marketing machine and for these events team selection has to make marketing sense. Make your story count. 🙂

cynic-al
    Free Member

Internet Big Hitter – easy.

northernmatt

Some chaps at work have had the idea of entering to try and use it as a bit of marketing for the business. I don’t think they’ve yet understood that only 50 entries get in and that their idea for a cart is more than a bit shit.

bol

My guess is you’d need to jazz that up a bit to get accepted – only 50 carts allowed in.

Yes, we didn’t design it for redbulling, just for razzing down hills. Whilst I made it big enough for me, I fear the “suspension” would struggle with me at 3 times the weight of my daughter, resulting in zero ground clearance and splinters.

leffeboy

saw it here once and you wouldn’t want to look like you were taking it too seriously. The more comedy the better. There were a couple of ramps that destroyed carts every time. Great afternoon’s entertainment – do it now. Let there be spoons

cynic-al
    Free Member

OK then, I’ll have a go at designing one. Will need to be wooden chassis and bmx F&F/wheels I think.

Any ideas for a “fuselage” (probably fabric stretched over a wooden frame) and a theme welcome…

Drac

Harry_the_Spider

a theme welcome…

Batmobile with you dressed like

Brother_Will
    Free Member

Any ideas for a “fuselage” (probably fabric stretched over a wooden frame) and a theme welcome….

Well just from what your saying have you thought about some type of bi-plane theme, rectangular chassis truncated wings.

welshfarmer

Here is mine from our local race about 11 years ago! The rear wheel steering was a hoot. I obviously never won, but driving it was a riot (and more than a little bit scary), and hearing the anouncer on the tanoy reading out the name of my racer had the field in stitches…. 🙂

Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)

The topic ‘Redbull Soapbox Derby’ is closed to new replies.