Viewing 21 posts - 1 through 21 (of 21 total)
  • Red Wine or Port
  • maloney19710776
    Free Member

A guy at work is retiring this Christmas. I have put to the whip-round already but would like to buy him a personal gift. I know he likes red wine and port (are these in the same family?) but as a Gin lover I know nothing of these beverages. I am happy to spend £50 ish total on one or more bottles but would prefer a quality gift set if possible. Any suggestions?

GrahamS

Speaking as someone who once briefly mentioned “I quite like a glass of Port now and then” and has subsequently received multiple bottles for every birthday and Christmas since, I say red wine!

bensales
    Free Member

And to counter that, I’m going to say port 🙂

Decent port and some nice cheese. Perfick.

bensales
    Free Member

Oh and with port you get more ‘bang for buck’. Prices are similar to red wines, but it’s twice as strong.

Mackem

How about a really old Brandy?

ransos
    Free Member

If buying fancy port or red wine, consider when it’s ready for drinking. I’d caution against buying a port that is meant to be laid down for 30 years as a retirement gift …

ElShalimo

Niepoort Colheita + mini stilton
    job done

lunge

A Colheita or a 30 year tawny Port is what I’d go for. The Calem 30 year specifically is beautiful.

Drac

Just bought a bottle of this today from Aldi.

lunge

Yes Drac, that’s going in the shopping basket this weekend.

Drac

Only 2 left in the one I called into so nabbed one.

CheesybeanZ

Mmmmm Tawny Port .

chewkw
    Free Member

I much prefer port over wine as I am prefer sweet drink.

I think I am going to give Aldi’s port a go at £6.99 a bottle …

jambalaya
    Free Member

Unless you know what sort of red wine he likes picking the right one might be tricky. Also a bottle of wine needs to be drunk in one sitting whereas a Port is more generic and can last a fair while

maloney19710776
    Free Member

A little more work on my part may be needed then, I will make some subtle enquiries tomorrow to see if I can narrow down the choice of red wine he likes. I have been told that someone else is getting him port so I will concentrate on the wine.

palmer77
    Free Member

Do you know the bishop of Norwich?

maloney19710776
    Free Member

He’s a terribly good chap, but he always forgets to pass the port.

rockhopperbike

you can get a decent pair of port and wine glasses for £30 ish I think

maloney19710776
    Free Member

With some questions in the background at work I have figured out he is a big Shiraz fan, so half a dozen bottles or so should do it. Thanks for all the suggestions.

mikewsmith
    Free Member

Port will be sipped over time, the special bottle of wine will get left and then drunk once

maloney19710776
    Free Member

This guy and his wife are a couple of bottles of Red a week types. I have bought six different bottles of Shiraz for £80, that should see him right over Christmas.

Viewing 21 posts - 1 through 21 (of 21 total)

The topic ‘Red Wine or Port’ is closed to new replies.