Viewing 40 posts - 41 through 80 (of 87 total)
  • Red sauce, Brown sauce or no sauce at all…….
  • poly
    Free Member

To be fair, it is red, and it is a sauce.
    Not the greatest logical leap.

so is mustard yellow sauce, and mayo white sauce? How about salad cream, or Worcestershire, or marie Rose?

It says brown sauce on the bottle (unless it is hp, which is not brown sauce!) that’s why it’s called brown sauce. It says tomato ketchup on the bottle which is why it is not some generic red sauce. anything which is red sauce but not tomato ketchup is probably revolting.

bongohoohaa
    Free Member

so is mustard yellow sauce, and mayo white sauce? How about salad cream, or Worcestershire, or marie Rose?

Yes.

Mustard – Yellow Sauce. This can be split into subsections such as Smooth Yellow, Yellow with bits in etc
    Mayo – White Sauce
    Salad Cream – Whitey-Grey Sauce
    Worcestershire Sauce – Black Oil
    Marie Rose – Pink Sauce

RustySpanner

We already have a perfecly acceptable sauce – it’s called gravy.

cookeaa

A runny fried egg is the best sauce for a sausage sandwich.

Yes! Seems incomplete without an egg IMO.

I also, on occasion, like to cover one slice of bread in a thin layer of wholegrain mustard…

bongohoohaa
    Free Member

We already have a perfecly acceptable sauce – it’s called gravy.

Ah. Browner Sauce!

MoreCashThanDash

Brown with sausages.

Or nothing.

But not red.

slimporcini
    Free Member

No sauce, ever!

zippykona

Red but salad cream on all cold meat.

honkiebikedude
    Free Member

Sausage & mayo

Decent bacon doesn’t need sauce to hide under

onlysteel
    Free Member

Always brown.

aP
    Free Member

Brown before noon, red after – similar to cappuccino…

wobbliscott
    Free Member

For me its ketchup on chip shop fish and chips and Hot Dogs (accompanied by mustard) only. This sickly sweet mush has no business being anywhere else other than with chip shop fish and chips – unless, of course, you treat yourself to having your Fish and Chips with Gravy or curry sauce, which supersedes the need for Ketchup.

Mayo on chips if not chip shop fish and chips. But of course its brown sauce on bacon and sausage butty’s or a fry up. On eggs or an omelette there has to be a generous sprinkling of Hot Smoked Paprika!

Obviously Gravy is the king of sauces so I wouldn’t sully my plate with ketchup or brown sauce if there is gravy on there. The only thing that can accompany gravy is mustard, horseradish sauce or mint sauce depending upon the meat! And certainly no sauces with a decent pie – there should be sufficient gravy/sauce within the pie. Assuming of course its a proper pie – i.e. with the filling completely contained with a short crust pastry or suet casing – no puff pastry and certainly no casserole with a puff pastry top masquerading as a Pie – the trade descriptions people need to get involved on this issue!

dannyh
    Free Member

To confuse matters slightly, but also to end the argument. Reddy-brown.

chvck
    Free Member

Depends on the sausages and what I’m doing after eating the sammich. If I’m riding after and/or the sausages are really good quality then it’s HP fruity, otherwise some variant of chilli sauce. Tomato ketchup has no place in my life.

Drac

None. Good sausage needs none.

aka_Gilo
    Free Member

According to my wife and younger daughter:

Sausage or bacon sandwich: tomato ketchup.

Sausage or bacon sandwich with fried egg: brown sauce.

Woe betide anyone (that’ll be me then) who gets this wrong.

chewkw
    Free Member

Depending on my mood in order of preference.

For German style smoked hot dog = ketchup and mustard

For quality sausage or bacon = mustard only

For any low quality sausage or bacon = sweet Chilli sauce and ketchup.

😀

binners

Can I bring cheese singles into the equation at this point?

Sausage – brown (and a cheese single or 5)
    Bacon – red (with a fried egg)

Anything else and you’re a deviant!

Klunk
    Free Member

chilli relish on sausage, red on bacon

dannyh
    Free Member

And certainly no sauces with a decent pie

Not even……?

dannyh
    Free Member

For cheese on toast, a few drops of this is the business. Especially if there are strands of fried onion running through the cheese:

lesgrandepotato

Your all deluded. A touch of good English mustard with bacon or sausage is how it works.

endurogangster
    Free Member

Neither I like to taste my dead animals, not cover them in fruity filth.

andy4d

Brown on square sausage butties, red on traditional sausages. Simples

llama

No sauce at all. Any sausage worth the name should have enough flavour without covering it in sugary spice. Ok maybe some quality mustard.

(Daaaahling)

chakaping
    Free Member

And I thought some of the guests on the show overthink it!

Red.

garage-dweller

Red sauce is for burgers and only when you have run out of other chilli based alternative sauces and is acceptable on chips, where it may be joined by mayonnaise.

Sausage, bacon or egg sandwiches in any combination should only be consumed with a brown or yellow condiment or salt and pepper or hot pepper sauce (egg on its own)

TiRed

Red for egg
    Brown for meat

duntstick
    Free Member

Wot G-D said

seadog101

Brown, if its needed only to mask rubbish bangers.

Inbred456
    Free Member

May I suggest slicing up some red peppers and roasting them with the sausages, don’t need any sauce then, lovely!

slowoldman

When did it become “red sauce”? It’s tomato ketchup, that’s it’s name because it’s a ketchup made from tomatoes that tastes of tomato.

Quite. I try my best to educate the staff at Greggs into this simple matter.

Anyway, it’s tomato ketchup with bacon, brown sauce with sausage. Trust me I know these things. Also, of course Hendos is de riguer with a pie, but it’s a relish not a sauce.

Cougar

I had a “sausage casserole” Pot Noodle today, and it came with a sachet of tomato sauce.

I’ll leave conclusions as an exercise for the reader.

MrOvershoot

slowoldman – Member

When did it become “red sauce”? It’s tomato ketchup, that’s it’s name because it’s a ketchup made from tomatoes that tastes of tomato.

Quite. I try my best to educate the staff at Greggs into this simple matter.

Anyway, it’s tomato ketchup with bacon, brown sauce with sausage. Trust me I know these things. Also, of course Hendos is de riguer with a pie, but it’s a relish not a sauce.

You sir are a man of taste & totally correct if the said items need accompaniments due to them being of inferior quality.
    Otherwise they need no addition to render them a most cromulent way to satisfy your hunger.

WildHunter2009

Brown for sausages unless proper proper top notch one ( which seemingly do not exist in perth). Bacon is trickier, generally brown, but if eggs involved I think it has to be red. Or Lee n Perrins.

ste_t
    Free Member

If your meat products are of such poor quality that you need to put any kind of peasant sauce on your sandwich, you clearly have more important issues to deal with.

squirrelking
    Free Member

Links – brown and tattie scone
    Lorne – brown and fried onions
    Bacon – ketchup and fried egg (if egg is of good quality ie. fresh from the arse then no sauce necessary

That’s in a roll. (not a cob, barm, belcher, bun, fap, squelch or any other backward term)

djglover
    Free Member

The only time red is appropriate is when an egg is served without meat, eg egg on toast, egg and chips. As soon as you have the addition of meat, it’s brown

_tom_
    Free Member

I always go for a bit of both. If I can only have the one then it’s brown on bacon and ketchup on sausages. Just ketchup on bacon isn’t right, I’d rather go without.

khani
    Free Member

That’s in a roll muffin, (not a cob, barm, belcher, bun, fap, squelch or any other backward term)

Viewing 40 posts - 41 through 80 (of 87 total)

The topic ‘Red sauce, Brown sauce or no sauce at all…….’ is closed to new replies.