Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 59 total)
  • Red Riding
  • richpips
    Free Member

We enjoyed that. A future classic?

rOcKeTdOg

i lost interest after 45 mins

KingofBiscuits
    Free Member

Loved it. Was really looking forward to it after reading a preview and it didn’t disappoint. Shagging, rain, biege, torture, death, brown Vauxhall Vivas, serial killers, bent cops, Wakey. What more do you want. Best bit of TV this side of Extreme Fishing with Robson Greene.
    Can’t wait for next week’s episode as the stories are connected and its based around the Ripper.

Surfr
    Free Member

Wife and I both fell asleep in the final 20 minutes. Is it repeated this week?

ton

let me feeling dizzy and confused……but in a good way.
    but too much smoooooooooooooooke.

KingofBiscuits
    Free Member

Jesus, yeah, forgot about everyone smoking….LOTS.

Surfr, I would have thought it would be repeated. If not C4 OD online.

IanMunro
    Free Member

Blimey, I’m not venturing to the north. Looks terrifying!

trailmonkey

Loved it. Can’t wait for the next one. Some really subtle stuff in there too, like the journalist who gets topped, making his last exit on camera under a sign saying ” Way Out”.

Poindexter
    Free Member

Wasn’t it supposed to be set in 1974? So why was he driving a 1975 Vauxhall?

I thought it was alright, didn’t really have me on the edge of my seat though.

fwokinfwok
    Free Member

Paddy Constantine in it next week. Go and rent ‘A Room for Romeo Brass’ first before you watch the 2nd installment of Red Riding.

fwokinfwok
    Free Member

Paddy Constantine in it next week. Go and rent ‘A Room for Romeo Brass’ first before you watch the 2nd installment of Red Riding.

franki
    Free Member

Loved it!
    Thought it looked amazing and the acting was superb.
    Looking forward to the rest of the series.

wors

Tried to watch it but mrswors was jabbering away for about half an hour so lost waht was going on.

Shagging, rain, biege, torture, death, brown Vauxhall Vivas, serial killers, bent cops, Wakey.

you missed out brown y fronts!

scuttler

Haven’t seen Red Riding yet but regarding smoking tabs in filams has anyone seem Good Night, and Good Luck. Crumbs.

simonfbarnes
    Free Member

Wife and I both fell asleep in the final 20 minutes. Is it repeated this week?

I recorded it on my PVR. Can make you a DVD if you like ? It didn’t hold my attention

noteeth
    Free Member

“This is the North! We do what we want!”

Terrifying – like Life on Mars directed by David Lynch.

simonfbarnes
    Free Member

but too much smoooooooooooooooke.

yes, it’s funny, after being terrorised by smokists in public places for the past 4 decades, it’s amazing how quickly I’ve come to forget what it was like, and to think of smoking as unusual

KingofBiscuits
    Free Member

lol @ wors

you missed out brown y fronts!

Damn right noteeth. That copper was pure evil. Dude looked like a ****’ weasel. Superbly acted. The evil twin of life on mars as one review put it.

Paddy Constantine is a class act, not seen A Room for Romeo Brass yet but another Shane Meadows film I rate highly is Dead Man’s Shoes. That is truly frightening.

cinnamon_girl

Am not a happy girlie 🙁

Was expecting to spend a couple of hours drooling over David Morrissey and he only made a brief appearance 😥

Polite request – if any girlies read this, could they please start up a Friday Sexy Bloke thread with lots of pics of him. Thank you!

Seriously though, it was good but grim.

noteeth
    Free Member

Continues tonight!

I sense looming darkness.

nickc

Enjoyed the first one. Grim though

cinnamon_girl

Another enjoyable one. But is it only me having trouble in hearing/understanding what some of them are saying? Almost seemed a bit like NYPD Blue for poor sound quality.

MrSmith
    Free Member

it’s the fick norvern acsents, reminds me of watching auf weidersein pet and having to turn the sound up.

best bit of telly for a long time.

simonfbarnes
    Free Member

shit that was nasty!

cinnamon_girl

Does it get repeated? I’ve lost the plot a little!

ChrisS
    Free Member

I’ve not seen this weeks yet, however after last weeks I find myself agreeing with this comment on the telegraph website review:
    Mr Walton points out that this production relies upon a paradox created by the juxtaposition of history and speculation. In such a ploy, the authenticity of the film direction invites the viewers to open their minds to the speculations made by the author. Unfortunately, as far as South Yorkshire in 1974 is concerned, authenticity requires more than just brown interiors and grey exteriors. For example, portraying villages such as Fitzwilliam as a bomb site in which feral children vanadalise property whilst a resident looks on passively, complete with flat cap and whippet, is such a grotesquely innacurate cliche that I am left with no sense whatsoever of historical accuracy, and therefore no motivation to take any part of the drama seriously. As someone who actually lived in that area in 1974, I confess to being somewhat irritated by pundits who, in their ignorance, are only too willing to believe the Third World shanty town depiction. And yet I am only just scratching the surface regarding the cliched indulgence that this production substitutes for supposed historical accuracy. Take it from me, this is not a new TV genre. Trash has been around for a long time and no amount of artistic talent can excuse such low bigotry.

MrSmith
    Free Member

but TV drama isn’t real. reality is slow and boring and not a lot happens. drama is ‘drama’.
    mood, feelings and emotions are conveyed using whatever artifice the director and crew want to use. if that happens to be a grim run-down location with burnt out cars and crack whores so what if it isn’t historically accurate.

the review needs to get his priorities right

As someone who actually lived in that area in 1974

the program isn’t meant to be about him/her. the viewer isn’t interested in misrepresentation but in a gripping story.
    great program, shite review, even shiter reviewer who needs to realise that the program wasn’t created to represent his/her experience of living in 70’s Fitzwilliam. I live in london it’s nothing like eastenders and i guess living in manchester isn’t just like coronation street

trailmonkey

For example, portraying villages such as Fitzwilliam as a bomb site in which feral children vanadalise property whilst a resident looks on passively, complete with flat cap and whippet, is such a grotesquely innacurate cliche that I am left with no sense whatsoever of historical accuracy,

Well I grew up in 70’s B’ham and bomb sites were still common. There was always kids mucking about on them and usually a fire or two.
    I found that it very authentically reproduced the 70’s of my childhood and I’d wager most working class kids’ childhoods, but that’s probably what the reviewer doesn’t understand.

ChrisS
    Free Member

Oh all right then, it was brilliant, whatever….

Although I have to admit I found myself laughing out loud when the first episode reached the point were Abu Grahib is recreated in the police cells, hoods, hoses and all!

trailmonkey

Although I have to admit I found myself laughing out loud when the first episode reached the point were Abu Grahib is recreated in the police cells, hoods, hoses and all!

Yeah that was a bit much. Our forces in Iraq have never reached the levels of savagery cultivated by 70’s police forces. If you’re not sure what I’m alluding to, just delve into what you can find out about the West Midlands Serious Crimes Squad for instance.

ChrisS
    Free Member

Why just allude? Links?

trailmonkey

Ok, here’s one link but there’s lots more, just Google

Look out for anything about the Birmingham Six or the Bridgewater Four. Torture, coercion, wrongful arrests, intimidation. You’ll find it all in there. I’m sure the WMSCS, weren’t alone in their methods either.

MrSmith
    Free Member

Oh all right then, it was brilliant, whatever….

it was just my opinion that differs from yours and the reviewers (with his own personal bone top pick), just because you disagree with me doesn’t make you wrong or me right. or are we not allowed to disagree?

porterclough
    Free Member

As someone who actually lived in that area in 1974, I confess to being somewhat irritated by pundits who, in their ignorance, are only too willing to believe the Third World shanty town depiction.

I didn’t see any shanty towns in the 1974 episode, I saw victorian terraces and 1970s semis. I’d be more inclined to take that review seriously if he hadn’t said South Yorkshire when he meant West Yorkshire in the previous paragraph.

David Peace (whose books this is based on) is from Wakefield and grew up there in the 70s and 80s so it isn’t all southern bias or anything. All his books mix reality and fiction and the subject matter of police corruption and serial killers doesn’t exactly lend itself to sunny shots of the genteel side of Leeds (and besides which they have a problem filming something set in the 70s when you can’t point a camera in any direction without seeing glass and steel apartments and office blocks these days).

http://www.guardian.co.uk/books/2008/may/10/fiction

I did get slightly fed up of seeing the main character’s car on a deserted windswept moorland road though – I know they can’t show the M1 or M62 as it’s full of modern cars and the director probably wanted some sort of visual metaphor like the train at the start of Get Carter, but I did get a bit bored of it – there ain’t no moors between Leeds and Wakefield, just motorways and houses.

They also (in last night’s film) had Sutcliffe being nicked by an alert beat copper from the West Yorks force – in fact he was nicked by an alert beat copper in South Yorks on his first trip to Sheffield. Reality actually says even more about the West Yorks force’s incompetence, even if it was just the Sunderland tapes that set them on the wrong path, rather than corruption.

noteeth
    Free Member

Great stuff, again – Paddy Considine was excellent.

But could anything ever match Edge of Darkness?

ChrisS
    Free Member

@ Mr Smith – of course everyone is entitled to their own opinion, sometimes this forum just makes me weary, no matter what you post someone always feels obliged tell you that you are wrong….

That Daily Mash article is class 😀

noteeth
    Free Member

I am left with no sense whatsoever of historical accuracy, and therefore no motivation to take any part of the drama seriously

Perhaps David Lynch should have filmed Twin Peaks as if it were a boring little logging town, where very little happens? It’s drama, fer ****’s sake. Mood is all.

Sterling acting all round, too.

ChrisS
    Free Member

More like a melodrama.

crankboy
    Free Member

“David Peace (whose books this is based on) is from Wakefield and grew up there in the 70s and 80s ” David was a school friend of mine and his Mum and Dad were friend’s with mine i read the book when it came out and scandalised Ossett (where he grew up). Having read the book and known the background for myself i could not achive enouth distance to watch the ficton .

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 59 total)

The topic ‘Red Riding’ is closed to new replies.