Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 51 total)
  • Red meat?
  • mikey74
    Free Member

Is it really the spawn of Satan? I know large quantities can be harmfull but I was just thinking that my day-to-day diet literally contains no red meat, except the odd week when I go to my parents house for a roast dinner. I generally stick to tuna and chicken.

Should I be having some red meat in my diet?

retro83
    Free Member

Dunno but Milkman Dan is my hero

glenh
    Free Member

Of course. Everything in moderation.

GrahamS

I'd worry more about eating large quantities of chicken and tuna than I would about missing out on red meat!

Chickens are full of growth hormone and tuna is full of mercury.

You're never safe 😉

oddjob
    Free Member

I'm think ing of going Vegan

For a day or 2 to see how crap it really is.

GrahamS

Vegetables?

Full of pesticide, fungicide, agricultural chemicals, Frankenstein genetic engineering and toxins from the soil.

I only eat organic sterilised dust.

mtbfix

I suppose that so long as your chicken is reared in a humane fashion and the tuna is genuinely line caught then you are good to go. Clearly you are missing out on two of man kinds greatest creations in the rare cooked fillet steak and beefburgers!

IA

Good call retro83!

(i think it went over everyone else's head)

GrahamS

I was only half joking by the way, the Food Standards Agency actually warns about eating too much tuna if you're pregnant due to the mercury content. (and I don't think it matters any if it's line-caught or dolphin-killer variety).

(IA: get back to the programmers thread – you never told us what language that was)

HeatherBash
    Free Member

>and the tuna is genuinely line caught <

Sounds good doesnt it? Until you see the inhumane living conditions of the "anglers," the size of the ships catching them and the industrial quantities they are pulling them out the sea in…

emac65
    Free Member

We're meat eaters,it's in our make-up to eat meat.If it wasn't to be then why did nature make meat taste so nice & veggies so ****' 'orrible…..

juan
    Free Member

& veggies so ****' 'orrible…..

Learn to cook your veggies properly

z1ppy

juan – Member
    & veggies so ****' 'orrible…..

Get real, no matter how well you cook vegetables, their never going to compare to the sweet sweet taste of meat mmmmmmmmmmMMMMMMMM

Drac

I think he meant vegetarians, then again you may have too.

glenh
    Free Member

Mmmmmmmmm, grain fed veggie.

z1ppy

😈

emac65
    Free Member

Sorry but imho there is no way that veggies taste as nice as meat, regardless of what way you cook them.

juan
    Free Member

regardless of what way you cook them.

You wouldn't bet on that would you?

emac65
    Free Member

Well as I'd be the one tasting it then yes of course I would,I'll bet my house against your,ok… 8)

juan
    Free Member

well i don't own a house so I can't really loose, deal…

emac65
    Free Member

Hmm well I'll settle for any bike you've got & as it's down to my personal taste I can't lose either….

nostoc
    Free Member

Re. the original question
    "should" doesn't really come into it.
    Is red meat as part of a balenced diet necessary? No.
    Is red meat as part of a balenced diet harmful? No.

CaptainMainwaring
    Free Member

Tuna is caught in industrial quantities and then flown half way round the world so environmental nightmare. Even if it says "dolphin friendly" on the tin, if you read further it often says basically they support the idea, not that the product you are eating is dolphin friendly.

Unless you eat free range or barn chickens they are kept in appalling conditions and are full of growth hormone and other chemicals

ernie_lynch
    Free Member

chickens ………. are full of growth hormone

I keep getting spam about some growth hormone that will make my cock grow huge …… is that the same stuff ?

nicko74

When I ran the marathon last month there was a girl with 'Vegan runner' on her back. She was rather chunky for the traditional stereotype of vegans…

jimmy

I've seen a few of them, Nicko. Carrots are good for you, but you'll still get fat if you eat 100 a day.

Environmentally beef is a nightmare. Tuna's pretty bad. Chicken's OK.

iDave
    Free Member

why is 'dolphin friendly' more important than 'tuna friendly'?

GTDave
    Free Member

If god had wanted us to be vegetarian, then he would have never made animals out of meat.

Fact.

😉

epicyclo

Line caught tuna – as in tortured to death?

ernie_lynch
    Free Member

why is 'dolphin friendly' more important than 'tuna friendly'?

Because as we don't intend eating the dolphins, killing them unnecessarily isn't very friendly.

GrahamS

Line caught tuna – as in tortured to death?

They love it. It's a bit of fun for them really.

Not sure that net-caught would be any more pleasant a death.
    Or are you suggesting we only eat fish that die of old age?

Kuco

If dolphins are that intelligent they wouldn't get caught 😉 Give me nice steak any day.

kimbers

red meat gives you bowel cancer thats just how it is

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

Line caught tuna – responsible for killing albatrosses. The albatross will be extinct in a decade or two unless line fishing is modified – bu the japanese who are the biggest long line fishers refuse to do so even tho it would make virtually no difference to catch or costs – but because no european is telling them what to do!

http://www.antarctica.ac.uk/about_antarctica/wildlife/birds/albatross.php

deadlydarcy
    Free Member

Blind man walking past the fish factory in Dingle…."morning ladies"

I'm here all week…

slartybartfast
    Free Member

I'm wondering what dolphin would taste like now.

deadlydarcy
    Free Member

I'm wondering what dolphin would taste like now

Are you thinking in the barbecuing sense or the cunnilingual sense? If it's the former, a bit like tuna. Come to think of it, probably a bit like tuna if it's the latter too 😛

molgrips
    Free Member

I think net catching is worse because you kill other stuff too, isn't it?

Btw red meat is really good for you if it's lean. If it's free range then it can be humane (lamb?) but it's not eco friendly if it's grain reared beef. Grass, maybe.

mikey74
    Free Member

Lol, this is all entertaining, but you have all misunderstood the reason for my post: My question was really to do with whether there was anything inherent to red meat that our bodies need that we can't get from another source…but carry on, you are funny ;0)

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

Mikey – no there is not. Indeed the opposite is true -eating red meat is linked with bowel cancer

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 51 total)

The topic ‘Red meat?’ is closed to new replies.