Viewing 36 posts - 1 through 36 (of 36 total)
  • Red Hot Chili Peppers new album
  • GlitterGary
    Free Member

What do you think? Obviously it’s no bssm, or the early stuff, but I quite like it on first listen. Plus Chad Smith is a great drummer.

BenHouldsworth
    Free Member

Honestly, given 5 years away, I think its a poor effort.

Just like when John Frusciante left before on One Hot Minute, his presence is obviously missed.

Generally, on RHCP albums where Frusciante is present, there are multiple singles, on this there are few.

honourablegeorge

I’m going to go out on a limb and say it’s shit

stayhigh

The single is ok, kinda RHCP by the numbers IMO. I’ve not heard the album myself yet, the mising Frusciante being the main reason for my reticence.

Anyone know why he’s not on this album?

BenHouldsworth
    Free Member

I’m going to go out on a limb and say it’s shit

Thanks for breaking the silence, as a life long fan its the biggest piece of shit they’ve done and given they’re all sober at the moment they don’t have any excuses. Thank god for Pirate Bay, I’d have felt raped of a tenner if I’d bought it

justinbieber

Full on snooze fest. The new guitarist is trying so hard to be John Frusciante and failing, it’s painful.

BenHouldsworth
    Free Member

[video]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fPAAP2beM_Q[/video]

To think this was a B side but from when they were hungry; I guess they’re in their 40s, they could fill stadiums forever just singing Under the bridge (like Williams and Angels), you get lazy.

iain1775
    Free Member

First half is pretty decent a few songs remind me of Blood sugar and some earlier stuff, after track 6 it falls away big time
    Shame there is no John as he is a great guitarist but it does seem that flea has had a bit more influence, there are some bass lines driving the songs that are chilis of old
    Prob 2 or 3 good songs (after 3rd listen after it’s grown on me a bit) rest is very samey
    Main issue is the lyrics, they’re garbage, with exception of blood sugar which was a bit more from the heart they always have been and AK has openly admitted he’s not a great lyric writer but guess I’ve just grown up and now appreciate lyrics a bit more than just a bass riff
    Shame as I’ve been into them since very early on, freaky styley days, used to get the piss taken at school for liking this band no one else had heard of, then came higher ground, and later blood sugar….
    Have standing tickets to see them in Brum, will be 5th time and yes whilst they could sell out stadiums it is for them quite a small tour, looking forward to it still because chilis have always been better live than on record

scruff
    Free Member

Not heard it but I’ll get it. Still probably the best gig I’ve ever been to was the Rollins Band supporting Chillis at the Hummingbird.

sc-xc

Positive Mental Octopus Tour Scruff?

Pretty sure I saw FNM and Janes/Primus around the same time…

It’s a shame that RHCP have turned into bland dad rock.

Northwind

It’s exactly as good as I was expecting- remembering well how awful they were last time I saw them live.

They were running a TV ad for it on the big screens at Reading at the weekend, and for some strange reason they chose to say “From the band who brought you these songs” and play snippets of all the classics, yet practically nothing from the new one 😉

mstrb
    Free Member

Bollocks. I’m going to see them for the second time at the NEC in November.

I’m yet to hear the new album in full but what I’ve heard on the radio so far hasn’t impressed me.

sc-xc

In my humble, uneducated and ill informed opinion…they should take the socks of their penises and shove them in their mouths/over their hands, rendering them unable to further sully their legacy.

iain1775
    Free Member

+1 scruff
    Saw that tour at royal court in Liverpool
    Rollins was superb, chilis even more, they where the days, just before blood sugar was released I think
    That was 2nd time I saw them I think first time was in Manchester I seem to remember it might have been living colour supporting who where shite, I was about 14 or 15
    Prob only surpassed in my best ever concerts by beastie boys with Jon Spencer blues explosion supporting in wolves a few years later

seth-enslow666
    Free Member

By The Way was there best IMO. Seen them live a few years ago IN Sheffield Don Valley Stadium and they were fantastic. Not too keen on Stadium Arcadium but one or two old style tunes on that. Heard a few of the new ones from the new album and nothing as jumped out at me yet. Its a bit harsh to keep judging a band on albums like BSSM as this was an all time classic album by anyones standards. How many bands churn out multiple albums of that calibre! its just does not happen. Even the Beatles only did a few good albums!

Pook

Twang Twang Twang funky repetitive slap bass riff Twang Twang Twang staccato lyrics Twang bass Twang bass. off.

emac65
    Free Member

Used be a massive fan of these,had loads of their albums,singles,bootlegs,imports etc…But when Frusciante came back into the fold I think they went pretty crap.Always thought if they had of made one more album with Navvaro,it just might have been the next BSSM.OHM wasn’t really my cup of tea but there were some good songs on it, had a good sound,but thought it was a little over produced.
    Was hoping with Frusciante out the band & a decent replacement they might stop making all that main stream pop crap of the last 3 albums,sounds like they haven’t so don’t think I’ll bother with it…..

On the plus side, made a small fortune a few years back when I sold most of the stuff I had of theirs !About double what I’d paid for it 😀

chopper666
    Free Member

lost interest after BSSM, didnt think too much of anything they did after that. Wont be buying this. soz

wooobob

I thought the last album was too long and pretty dull – the end of the line for the sound that they really hit paydirt with on Californication and By The Way. I’m hoping that the new album will be a departure of sorts, or a move back into the bass-led funk that in my view made them great. It’s fair to say that BSSM was quite a peak and will be impossible to replicate. Plus, they’re rich forty-somethings now, rather than 20-year old funky monks with habits and ideas.

scruff
    Free Member

SC-SX-
    Wikipedia says Birmingham March 4, 1992 which seems correct, as I cant remember the early 90s. Or the mid/late 90’s…

Jammy111
    Free Member

votes for best song on the album?

think ethiopia is mine. still isn’t brilliant though

GlitterGary
    Free Member

Yeah, I thought one hot minute was a good album too, a few stinkers on there, but a great sound. The BSSM album is one of my favourites for production, it’s fantastic in every way, it just has an atmosphere from Houdini’s house.

After a few listens the new one is pretty decent and I think the new guitarist is quite good. He collaborated with Frusciante on some of his solo stuff and sounds similar on that, so no doubt they influenced each other.

Anyways, the new album is ok, better than the last, not as good as Californication or By The Way, I reckon at least.

Oh, and would love to see them again, but 50 quid to see them in an arena with awful sound? I just can’t justify it, unfortunately.

Edit – Best song from the new record is probably Monarchy of Roses or Brendan’s Death Song.

brick
    Free Member

Heard the new single and thought it rubbish.
    Not really liked anything they have done since One Hot Minute, and that album wasn’t as good as either BSSM or Mothers Milk.

chopper666
    Free Member

scruff i was at that hummingbird gig. rollins blew the doors off the place, one of the best live shows i have ever seen. left RHCP with a hard act to follow! 🙂 big rollins fan after that

meesterbond

Can’t say I’ll be rushing out to buy it… everything since BSSM has sounded the same to me. UMPP and Mothers Milk were the high points.

Was the second disk of Stadium Arcadia any good? I never made it that far.

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

I have only heard the single on PR and to be honest, it sounds utter gash.

New Jane’s Addiction tune sounds ace, though.

stanfree
    Free Member

I used to be a big fan and went to see them In Edinburgh a few years back , they were OK and keidis seemed pretty grumpy. gave them the benefit of the doubt and went to see them at TITP they were slightly better . Thought I would go for third time lucky for the Stadium Arcadium album and they were truly rank. The whole band seemed uninterested , Keidis had no banter between songs . The following night I saw the Foo Fighters who were the polar opposite , the band were enjoying themselves and Dave Grohl was totally charming. I cant even be arsed to download there new offering as I know It will be fairly mundane.

That said ‘Scar Tissue’ Is a good book .

DezB
    Free Member

I hear Dire Straits are on tour without Mark Knopfler. That sounds good.

GlitterGary
    Free Member

Yeah, weirdly the new single is the poorest song off the new album, a strange release that one.

Flashheart – the two new Jane’s songs do sound great, but so was the last album, so I’m not really suprised at that. Can’t wait for it.

Wanted to see them at Leeds Fest but I think it got cancelled, or so it said on telly at the weekend, glad I didn’t go in the end! Phew.

DezB
    Free Member

Serious now.
    Here’s an album worthy of your attention:

verses

While I liked Californication, I didn’t need them to remake it 3 times.

EDIT: CHRIST! Is it really 12 years since Californication came out?!!?!?!

emac65
    Free Member

rollins blew the doors off the place, one of the best live shows i have ever seen. left RHCP with a hard act to follow! big rollins fan after that

Saw Rollins when he was with Black Flag at Christmas on Earth, Leeds in ’81.Don’t think many people knew much about them(I didn’t).Couldn’t tell you one song they did but he is a hell of a showman,mental !

EDIT: CHRIST! Is it really 12 years since Californication came out?!!?!?!

Even worse still, it’s 20 years this month since BSSM was released !!!!!

munkyboy
    Free Member

just deleted the second half of the album so it doesnt appear on shuffle mode, the rest is pretty good though…

IdleJon

verses – Member
    While I liked Californication, I didn’t need them to remake it 3 times.

+1.
    Have only listened to the first 3 tracks on the new one and it seems ok.

Having said that, I only paid £1.60 to download it because I had the remains of an Amazon gift voucher on there!

coogan
    Free Member

Not heard it. But I’m guessing it sounds probably exactly like everything else they’ve done…

nmdbase
    Free Member

Don’t like it, they fell into pop music ages ago, not like the early stuff which was quite good.

Viewing 36 posts - 1 through 36 (of 36 total)

The topic ‘Red Hot Chili Peppers new album’ is closed to new replies.