Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • Red Bull Sky Gate on again!
  • AlexSimon

I hoped it was a one-off.
    After Kelly McGarry’s accident last time I’m surprised they thought it was a good idea to repeat 🙁

scruff
    Free Member

Mental. And not in a good mental Rampage way.

FunkyDunc
    Free Member

If the riders want to do it, then why not?

eckinspain
    Free Member

Just seen the highlights from last year – that just looks dangerous and not much fun to watch. Not enough braking room at the end, lethal in the wet.

mikey74
    Free Member

It’s the most ill-conceived, pointless, dangerous mtb event since Josh Bender looked over that 30m cliff and said “that looks doable”.

I can’t believe they’re doing it again, but then again I guess it sells foul-tasting soft-drinks, so it’s probably worth doing.

AlexSimon

Yep, daft. Fingers crossed that nobody gets seriously injured.

benp1

Third image/video down in this link – http://reviews.mtbr.com/video-2015-red-bull-sky-gate-highlights

bigjim

I doubt people are being forced to do it at gunpoint

Trimix
    Free Member

He crashed because his brakes failed. That’s not due to rider error or a track too gnarly. Its either poor preparation or equipment not up to the needs of the event.

Failed brakes (or any similar mechanical) can cause an injury in any event.

Not sure why Red Bull should get bad press for it.

tenacious_doug
    Free Member

He crashed because his brakes failed. That’s not due to rider error or a track too gnarly. Its either poor preparation or equipment not up to the needs of the event.

A brake failure at the wrong point at Rampage would be much worse than McGarry’s crash at Skygate.

AlexSimon

But many were saying it was madness before Kelly’s crash.
    Last year they had the excuse of not really knowing what it was going to be like. That excuse has gone.

cookeaa

bigjim – Member
    I doubt people are being forced to do it at gunpoint

No but their sponsors will expect them to take part in events like this which help their profile and get the logos seen…

Basically It’s a shite event, not particularly imaginative, I like watching riding that’s ‘on the edge’ but watching people hang on while their brakes boil and hopefully scrub enough speed for them to not overshoot the jumps and land on the flat? Nah… I don’t recall much in the way of style from the previous one… Comparisons to Rampage spectacularly miss the point of Rampage IMO…

Participants safety seems to be a fair way down the list of priorities. It’s quite clearly about using MTBing as a marketing tool for people that don’t really know or care much about MTBing…

Speeder

Who took part last year vs who this year? You can tell a lot by who’s agreed to take part.

Can imagine there’s a lot of people hoping to make their mark rather than established talent.

mikey74
    Free Member

Not sure why Red Bull should get bad press for it.

Because it’s a shite event: The course is pointless and purely designed as a marketing event.

As cook said above: Red Bull will expect the riders they sponsor to take part. Plus, the riders don’t have massively long careers so they need to follow the money. It is irresponsible of Red Bull to take advantage of this with such obviously pointless and dangerous events.

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)

The topic ‘Red Bull Sky Gate on again!’ is closed to new replies.