Viewing 28 posts - 1 through 28 (of 28 total)
  • red arrows crash….
  • MartynS

looks like one came down an Bournemouth airshow.

NEWS

hope everyones ok..

Bunnyhop

That’s terrible.

I was lucky enough to meet the pilots years ago at the Jersey Are club.

clubber
    Free Member

😯 Shit! They flew over my house several times last weekend.

flip
    Free Member

Apparently they have found the pilot safe.

catsplums
    Free Member

really? I was looking for the good news but everything was not pointing to that… where did you hear that?

clubber
    Free Member

twitter seems to.be saying he was dragged.out of a river after ejecting.

catsplums
    Free Member

Cool I really hope so 🙂

clubber
    Free Member

could well be Chinese whispers of course. Hope.not…

bravohotel8er
    Free Member

Terrible news, no confirmation on condition of pilot yet.

I was watching their display at the air show a few hours ago, the crash was in Throop near Bournemouth Airport, not at the actual air show which takes place right above Bournemouth beach.

flip
    Free Member

Red Arrows pilot dies in air festival crash

It has been confirmed by the Ministry Of Defence that one of the Red Arrows has crashed during a display at Bournemouth Air Festival.
    The local fire service was called at around 1.50pm to an air crash at Bournemouth International Airport.
    The pilot ejected before the impact and is reported to be safe. It has not been confirmed which of the aircraft crashed.
    The world famous Red Arrows from Scampton, near Lincoln, were completing their display when onlookers noticed only eight of the nine aircraft landed.
    A siren at the airport was heard by onlookers and the site evacuated.
    Their display was being performed over Bournmouth seafront. The plane is said to have landed on a riverbank near Throop village.
    Speaking to the BBC, witness Shaun Spencer-Perkins, said: “I heard a rushing sound and I saw a plane about 15m above the ground racing across the fields.
    “It impacted and bounced across the field, made it across the river.
    “Members of the public jumped into the water to search for the cockpit.
    “We waved down the helicopter, I took off my son’s orange jacket and my wife’s red jumper to get the attention of the helicopter.”
    Flights from Bournemouth International Airport are currently experiencing delays.

catsplums
    Free Member

one of the on line papers is saying the pilot in now confirmed as dead, sorry for the bad news :o( sad day.

Tom83

Have you got the link for that catsplums? Had a quick scud but couldn’t find anything. Fingers crossed he/she survived.

SST
    Free Member

Terrible news 🙁

I’ve seen the Reds perform many many times and they are always stunning.

Condolences to the pilots family. It looks like he died steering the plane away from houses.

RIP.

project
    Free Member

courtesy of sky news tweets

Breaking News7:24pm UK, Saturday August 20, 2011

Red Arrow Pilot Dies After Jet Crash
    A Red Arrow pilot, named as Flight Lieutenant Jon Egging, has been killed after his jet crashed in Bournemouth

KINGTUT
    Free Member

Sad, sad news, they were fantastic in Bristol last week.

valleydaddy
    Free Member

very sad news, thoughts to this brave man’s family at this horrible time.

flip
    Free Member

Very sad.

pcb
    Free Member

Tragic news 🙁

I only saw them at Lyme Regis 4 weeks ago.

Thoughts to his family, friends and colleagues

renton
    Free Member

RIP Sir 🙁

CHB

RIP to a member of this talented team. Very sad.
    Only seen them live once, in Cornwall in 2009. Will remember the display for ever. Hope the tragic accident doesn’t cast a shadow over their activities.

tang
    Free Member

Saw them over the sea on Wednesday I think. Brother in law is ex red arrows, great team, very sad.

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

Sh1t.

🙁

SST
    Free Member

FLIGHT Lieutenant Jon Egging joined the Red Arrows team this year, aged 33, following a lifelong love of flying.

The former Southampton University student, who had supported troops in Afghanistan, was married to Emma and lived in Rutland.

Growing up in Warwickshire, he was inspired by his airline pilot father from a young age and joined his local 2028 Southam Sqn Air Training Corps at 13.

At school, he earned a RAF Flying Scholarship and later as a member of his university’s Air Squadron received an RAF Bursary to support his Environmental Studies degree.

While there, he completed his Elementary Flying Training on a Bulldog and entered the RAF in 2000.

He was picked for fast jet training, flying the Tucano and Hawk, before becoming a Qualified Flying Instructor.

Serving with IV (AC) Squadron, based at RAF Cottesmore, he flew the Harrier GR9 supporting coalition ground forces in Afghanistan.

He took part in exercises at home and abroad, as well as training missions off the UK coastline.

In his last year with IV, he moved up to become a Squadron Qualified Flying Instructor and teach the Harrier Operational Conversion Unit at Wittering, in April last year.

During their spare time, Lt Egging and his wife enjoyed running and travelling the world.

ftr1873
    Free Member

Sad times, RIP Red 4.

Houns

RIP 🙁

highclimber
    Free Member

sad times. the amature video of the incident doesn’t show much in the way of a reason as to why it went down.

condolences to the pilots family and friends.

Gary_C
Viewing 28 posts - 1 through 28 (of 28 total)

The topic ‘red arrows crash….’ is closed to new replies.