Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)
  • Recyled loft insulation (House that £100k built/aeroplane insulation content)
  • spooky_b329

So, I saw on the above program, that the hippy types got a skip load of insulation from airliner breakers for free.

So, can I buy this or some other waste insulation on the cheap from anywhere, in builders bags perhaps? Obv needs to be safe to handle/suitable for loft insulation.

I’m looking at around £400 for 90 sq m traditional loft insulation @ 200mm

wrightyson
    Free Member

Just keep your eye on the deals in the DIY stores. Wickes /bnq/ home base etc etc. I’ve insulated 5 properties with the buy one get two free offers. I wouldn’t piss about with recycled stuff personally.

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

what he said, we got ours from BandQ for effectively £3 a roll or something ridiculous, under £50 for a 100sqm flat.

wobbliscott
    Free Member

I’m not so sure about how good the insulation in airlines is at insulating heat – its more for sound insulation than heat insulation. As the air in an airliner is changed every few mins or so there is little point in trying to retain heat via insulation as warm air you’re insulating is dumped overboard and the incoming air is heated to the required temperature by recoving heat from the air your splilling overboard.

phiiiiil

Didn’t somebody on here say they don’t do those offers any more, as the subsidies that paid for them have stopped?

I haven’t seen anything all that cheap recently…

globalti
    Free Member

All around Britain there are massive warehouses full of rolls of glasswool, waiting for the winter sales boom. Come the Spring they’ll be wanting to sell all that off….

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

Dunno, we got ours about 2.5 years ago.

It was that effective (300mm Vs the really thin layer that was in there brefore) that it would probably pay for itself in no time even at full price. We’re a flat over a shop though so if we can stop heat escaping then we only have to top it up a little from our heaters. The gains in a house are probably smaller.

freeagent
    Free Member

I’ll agree with the above – we got a transit van full of it from Homebase a couple of years ago for £30….
    It doesn’t make sense to buy secondhand at that price.

sugdenr
    Free Member

the government subsidy that gave us £3 insulation via the energy tariff ended last year.

trail_rat
    Free Member

british gas were on the radio this morning advertising that they were doing green deal insulation stuff – do you qualify for any of that ?

as above – you will get your money back through energy savings itll just take a bit longer that is all.

trail_rat
    Free Member

what about seconds kingspan/foam insulation.. nobeer i think put up a link a while back

dooosuk
    Free Member

Don’t think the DIY stores will ever be that cheap again.

There’s plenty of sellers on Ebay, knocking out left overs from jobs though at at £10/roll or less.

Also odd that a lot of the sellers seem to be based around the St Helens area where the Knauf factory is.

Still, I bought a load from a seller at a good price earlier in the year.

spooky_b329

Thanks guys…we completed on our house about two weeks late to take advantage of the last green deal…we don’t qualify for the new one unless it changed in the last six months.

Hadn’t tried eBay… Cheapest I found so far was about £3.50 p sq metre.

dooosuk
    Free Member

Hadn’t tried eBay

Don’t get involved in the auctions, just message one of the sellers and deal outside of Ebay.

Pretty sure I got 170mm and 200mm rolls for at most £10/roll this way.

hooli

Was it just me yelling at the telly that that bloke needed a good wash and a haircut 😉

lemonysam
    Free Member

Was it just me yelling at the telly that that bloke needed a good wash and a haircut

Mostly I wanted him to do something about his chest hair.

hooli

Mostly I wanted him to do something about his chest hair.

I didn’t say what hair 😀

nealglover
    Free Member

I’ll agree with the above – we got a transit van full of it from Homebase a couple of years ago for £30….
    It doesn’t make sense to buy secondhand at that price.

Without a time machine you won’t see those prices again now the subsidies have ended.

Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)

The topic ‘Recyled loft insulation (House that £100k built/aeroplane insulation content)’ is closed to new replies.