Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • Recycling/passing on old bike helmets…?
  • nre
    Free Member

Have just replaced bike helmets for the family as they were all getting on for 8 years old, better safe than sorry! None of the old helmets have any damage as such, and I’m sure would offer much better protection than no lid at all… so seems a shame to bin them when they could help someone out. Any ideas / past experience on what to do with them…?

scotroutes

Bin

DrJ

You decided it won’t protect your head.Bin.

muddydwarf
    Free Member

Ive just got rid of an old helmet that was dated 2006 – I jumped on it to make sure it was unusable.

midlifecrashes

onehundredthidiot

Hammer time.

squirrelking
    Free Member

Bin. Why are we even having this conversation?

fatmax

I’d agree.
    How long do folk keep using them, I’ve read 3 years – is that right or helmet manufacturer chat? I’ve just binned a cheapo Giro after 5-6 years using it every day for commuting.

GrahamS

Can anything be recycled from old helmets?

(Apart from that rather tasteful upcycling 🙂 )

scotroutes

I have a couple more than 3 years old. Factors affecting strength are (allegedly) UV light (outer shell can go brittle) and sweat (inner goes brittle). Depending on how much you use the helmet and where you store it, extrapolate from there.

TBH, I find the pads start to deteriorate after a while and when it gets hard to find replacements it’s time for a new helmet.

Edric64
    Free Member

I stamp on old helmets and bin them ,that way they cant get pikied by binmen and sold at a car boot sale

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)

The topic ‘Recycling/passing on old bike helmets…?’ is closed to new replies.