• This topic has 16 replies, 12 voices, and was last updated 9 years ago by andyl.
Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)
  • Recycling tin cans lids
  • sandwicheater

Who also cleans/recycles the lids on tin cans?

Just occurred to me yesterday that I always throw the lid of tin cans in the bin. Have no idea why. Could just as easily be cleaned/popped into the recycling bin.

Am I the only wasteful singletrack member?

bigyinn
    Free Member

We recycle as much as possible. Bean tin lids included.

andyl
    Free Member

rinse out the can and lid, put the lid in the can and in the recycling bin. Why wouldn’t you?

chambord
    Free Member

Doesn’t throwing just the lid in to the bin seriously risk cutting the bag and spilling the bin all over the floor?

spooky_b329

put lid in tin. squash tin. beer tops get chucked in too.

Rockhopper
    Free Member

I don’t cut the lid all the way off so it gets recycled by default.

aP
    Free Member

Can lids, bottle tops, jam jar lids, why wouldn’t you?

sandwicheater

why wouldn’t you?

I have no answer. I’m amazed how silly I’ve been.

Everything else is recycled, even the corner you cut of juice cartons.

It’s clear I’m the only one. I’ll sit in the corner for a couple of minutes. 😳

PiknMix
    Free Member

Run under the tap whilst still attached to the tin opener, then drop into the tin once that’s emptied and rinsed out. Save the world people 😉

teasel
    Free Member

Maybe you had an accident involving a sharp lid and cut yourself so badly you managed to bury the memory. Now, without knowing why, you immediately bin the lid, not taking any chances.

Go with that one…

andyl
    Free Member

OP you are as bad as this:

shame on you! 😉

Cougar

Run under the tap whilst still attached to the tin opener, then drop into the tin once that’s emptied and rinsed out. Save the world people

I wonder how much water you can use to rinse out the can before it becomes more environmentally friendly just to toss it straight in the bin?

PiknMix
    Free Member

I would say the op is worse as ^ wasn’t intentional!

spooky_b329

Wash out after the washing up!

johndoh
    Free Member

I wonder how much water you can use to rinse out the can before it becomes more environmentally friendly just to toss it straight in the bin

This really – I have stopped rinsing them at all, after all they are just getting bunged into a big incinerator somewhere so a couple of stuck on beans in the corner of the can won’t matter.

thestabiliser
    Free Member

I wonder how much water you can use to rinse out the can before it becomes more environmentally friendly just to toss it straight in the bin

1. A Lot

2. Wash can in washing up water – no additional water required

3. Thanks for your input.

andyl
    Free Member

Our ‘system’ is:

If adding water to the cooking liquid anyway then use the can and get all the contents out with the extra water (eg chopped tomatoes).

If something really sticky (beans) or fishy and it’s quite a few days from collection then I make sure they are rinsed to a degree to stop recycling bins smells and flies. Cans are normally get left in the sink though after use so water used for other things does the job.

Things that come out pretty clean (pulses etc) then often don’t bother and normally get wanged straight in the recycling bin or left in the sink as above.

Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)

The topic ‘Recycling tin cans lids’ is closed to new replies.