Viewing 35 posts - 1 through 35 (of 35 total)
  • Recycling car names
  • Cougar

It’s always struck me as a bit odd that car manufacturers reuse car model names for wholly different cars. As a random example, the Mk1, Mk3 and Mk4 Ford Mondeos are very different cars beyond the fact that they’re Ford’s family hatch / repmobile outing.

I heard on the radio today that there’s a new Vauxhall Viva. Now, aside from the fact that they’re resurrected a marque which is, frankly, infamously shit, what the hell is this?

Old Viva:

New Viva:

Clearly “just like the old Viva”…

RobHilton
    Free Member

Why resurrect Saracen instead of making better bikes under an unknown name?

project
    Free Member

Seems as if it has a personality problem, its called an opel Karl in foreign places, a daewoo matiz it starterd off as, then became a chevrolet Spark.

All owned by GM

cynic-al
    Free Member

Rob Hilton – Member
    Why resurrect Saracen instead of making better bikes under an unknown name?,

Cos it works?

matt_outandabout

Why don’t we have a “Maxi” people carrier?

jackthedog
    Free Member

Funny considering the OPs username, the first thing I thought of when reading the thread title is the Ford Cougar and the Ford Kuga. Not sure it counts though.

trail_rat
    Free Member

Cause daewoe matiz was a shote car , the chevy spark was shit…..and now i suspect the vauxhall viva will be shit. But people will buy it as its disassociated with daewoe and chevy now.

Northwind

Do like a nice viva

Or a nasty viva

Russell96

The Viva Magnum 2.3 and the Firenza were bloody nippy cars for their day.

Harry_the_Spider

As predicted by Sporty, Baby, Scary, Grump and Old.

[video]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3wkuqRFXNvI[/video]

nbt

My first “car” (van) was based on a viva.

unovolo
    Free Member

Don’t really get Vauxhalls naming convention here, the Mini,500, and Beetle at least roughly resemble their namesakes.
    Whereas the new Viva is nothing like,its not even a saloon they would have been better/closer with the Chevette or preferably just give it a new name (but not like the Vauxhall Adam coz that would be silly)

slackboy

Nah, that new Viva should be a Chevette. At least the Chevette came as a hatch

cookeaa

Ford Galaxie.

Ford Galaxy…

Mister-P
    Free Member

Are the target market for the new Viva old enough to remember the original? I doubt for many folk there is any link at all.

MoreCashThanDash

Thought I’d misheard there was a new Viva!

My uncle had one as a company car, back in the day.

gofasterstripes
    Free Member

Nissan Pulsar?!

monkeychild
    Free Member

Skoda are good at this

SKoda Octavia

Skoda Octavia

Skoda Rapid

Skoda Rapid

JulianA
    Free Member

I would so like one of the original Octavias! I’ve driven the old Estelle (I think it was) and rather liked it.

Wanders off to carandclassic to see what’s about old Octavia-wise…!

[edit] Nothing!

Sundayjumper

My folks had Viva vans back in the day, for transporting bikes all over the country when my dad was doing a lot of time trials. I have spent a LOT of time in Vivas ! Fortunately I don’t remember much of it.

Northwind

unovolo – Member

Don’t really get Vauxhalls naming convention here, the Mini,500, and Beetle at least roughly resemble their namesakes.

The BMW Mini might look a bit like a proper mini but… The defining feature of the Mini is that it’s mini. That’s why they called it a Mini. Whereas the BMW Mini is just a normal sized car.

Don’t get me wrong, I like the cars, I learned to drive in a cooper d and it was ace. It’s just absurd to have a big mini.

Fat-boy-fat

Vauxhall couldn’t use the Chevette name as it doesn’t end in an a. Apart from the aberration that was the Signum, name a Vauxhall consumer car that doesn’t end in an a in the last 10 years.

Adam?

The Chevette is still a decent looking car. Fond? memories of having my legs scorched on the vinyl rear seats.

Old cars are deathtraps mind, wouldn’t fancy a prang in one of those.

orangeorange
    Free Member

Wonder if they’re also intending to somehow replicate that awful tappety-sound as sported by the original Viva

stevie750

Mutely Mclad will be happy!

brakes
    Free Member

name a Vauxhall consumer car that doesn’t end in an a in the last 10 years.

VXR

nickc

Cavalier?

you haven’t thought this through have you Fat boy?

Northwind

Fat-boy-fat – Member

Uvavu.

Mister-P
    Free Member

Not sure Vauxhall built a Cavalier in the last 10 years. 20 years ago maybe.

benji
    Free Member

Adam

What do I win?

wanmankylung
    Free Member

Vauxhall couldn’t use the Chevette name as it doesn’t end in an a. Apart from the aberration that was the Signum, name a Vauxhall consumer car that doesn’t end in an a in the last 10 years.

VX220

Russell96

@NBT I had one of those too, restricted with a small carb and a low compression engine, but dam did it handle well and that gear lever was brilliant. We used be in convoy back to the yard in the afternoon slipstreaming each other for that vital 1mph overtake.

RustySpanner

stevie750 – Member

Mutely Mclad will be happy!

I dunno, something quite romantic about the top deck of the 29 bus.

slackboy

Monaro just creeps in under the wire and apparently there is a new one called Trixx. I thought calling a car Adam was weird

stewartc
    Free Member

I understand they will also be bringing out a special edition to celebrate the Maxi and the Allegro…it will be called the Maximum Aggro

IGMC

Viewing 35 posts - 1 through 35 (of 35 total)

The topic ‘Recycling car names’ is closed to new replies.