Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Recycling….
  • hammyuk
    Free Member

when it isn’t recycling!
    WTF is wrong with Hampshire CC?
    Clear packaging CLEARLY marked as PPE with recycling triangles, polystyrene CLEARLY marked with recycling triangles, Cardboard obviously.
    Collection refused as “contaminated waste”.
    However thy will take it as “household” and landfill it!
    Big argument with inspector as “Hampshire do not have a market for the refuse” so “don’t recycle the waste as it’s they can’t sell it on”.
    Upshot is they are happy to flout the legislation that states they MUST recycle certain items, refuse to take others as they choose.
    Gotta love councils :-/
    Funny that as a company we received letters recently stating that if we DIDN’T recycle those EXACT items we would face penalties for failure to comply with EU legislation, etc!
    On rule for on, etc….

footflaps

I do wonder how much is just collected in recycling bins and then just dumped in landfill.

wobbliscott
    Free Member

My recycling bin takes metal, glass of any colour and any sort of plastic, the only thing it doesn’t take are those tetra-packs. So I hope someone is sifting through it all at the council to segregate all the different plastics.

woody2000

Ours refuses corrugated carboard, but I can apparently chuck any old plastic in the recycling bin (despite it stating bottles only).

It’s bonkers really, why put barriers in to something that people are already seemingly reluctant to do. Any why do neighbouring councils have different regs!?

fasthaggis

I do wonder how much is just collected in recycling bins and then just dumped in landfill.

footflaps

I think it needs a fly on the inside wall of a wheelie bin documentary to set things straight 😉

bencooper
    Free Member

Wasn’t there a thing about glass – green glass isn’t recycled in the UK because not many people use it, but it’s still collected because otherwise people wouldn’t recycle clear and brown.

maccruiskeen

why do neighbouring councils have different regs!?

What they collect depends on what they have managed to find an end user for, the fact that something is potentially recyclable means nothing if nobody is wanting to buy that material from them. So what materials each council collects and how they separate or group them depends on what contracts they’ve been able to secure with end users. The degree to which stuff can be bundled together can also relate to the technology they have to identifty and separate different materials.

Wasn’t there a thing about glass – green glass isn’t recycled in the UK because not many people use it, but it’s still collected because otherwise people wouldn’t recycle clear and brown

Green glass isn’t recycled as glass but it is turned into sands and aggregates

nickjb
    Free Member

Ours will take all plastic packaging except for the black trays you usually get meat in. Not really sure why and they never told us they wouldn’t take it. I just noticed they’d put the black ones in the wheely bin with landfill stuff and take the rest.

joshvegas
    Free Member

And so we enter the murky world of MRFs, Dirty MRFs, RDF, CHPs, IVC and Gasification.

Its not necessarily the best from an emmisions point of view to truck thousands of tonnes of plastic no one wants around the country. Annd waste is not necessarily going to land fill,

Although having stood at the bottom of a 40m high wall of waste in what will eventually become a 40m deep mountain its self, its sometimes hard to believe it!

maccruiskeen

And so we enter the murky world of MRFs, Dirty MRFs, RDF, CHPs, IVC

not to mention TLAs

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)

The topic ‘Recycling….’ is closed to new replies.