Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • Recyclers and weigh bridge tickets
  • benz
    Free Member

Scenario…

We load trucks with surplus materials, often using a crane with a calibrated load cell. Weights noted.

Weigh bridge tickets typically can be up to 10% less than the load cell indicated weight.

So…..assuming the truck weight is basically fixed apart from fuel load, can anyone suggest a reason for the discrepancy? Load cell calibration or truck weight incorrect most likely?

Thanks

stumpy_m4
    Free Member

I’m a driver who drops off or unloads at various recyclers ,metal,green,co mingles etc, different weighbridge always weigh slightly different ,I’ll get a ticket as I leave work and the next bridge is different to my ticket, spouse it depends alot on calibration etc and recorded tare weights of empty trucks ?

oldtennisshoes

Always lower readings from multiple sites/bridges?
    If you are confident the load cell is calibrated then you should perhaps consider human influence.

thelawman

Any (reputable) weighbridge operator such as a quarry, has to have a scale checck/calibration annually; I think it’s twice a year for public weighbridges. Typically though that’s up to 50t or so to cater for the Max Gross of artics, which can legally go on the road at 44t. So what’s your normal gross weight? Maybe it’s at the low end of the weighbridge range, which might be less commonly encountered on the bridge, and not so accurately checked? Are you confident your crane is well calibrated?

timber

All the water has sloshed out of the various containers, get weighed in on a rainy day 😉

spooky_b329

Presumably you can confirm the unladen weight of vehicles as they would get weighed when arriving laden, and again when leaving unladen?

andyl
    Free Member

You fill them with multiple loads? Is each load well into the capacity of your load cell? Sounds like you may have a cumulative error build up.

I assume these are big trucks so the weigh bridge is seeing loads a good way into it’s range?

andyl
    Free Member

+ is your load cell actually zeroed and is the reading taken when it is nice and stable and not moving?

spooky_b329

Is your crane operator spilling 10% of each bucket onto the floor around the truck? 😉

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

Hang on, scrap yards make their money by weighing your stuff, the less it weighs the less they pay you. Now I’d not normally be one to cast aspersions but the ones round here all get raided by the police and drive brand new range rovers. I’d trust their weigh bridge to not under read about as far as I could throw the container of scrap metal on it!

antigee

worked in metals processing co’s and along with sales peoples expenses the ingenuity in this area is stunning a couple off the top of my head

don’t say if your trucks guessing not? couple of starters find a local weighbridge (i know it’s post industrial UK but surprising how many places have them) and insist on getting a tare weight for each truck – even if you are getting truck in / truck out weights on a calibrated weigh bridge no guarantee the truck doesn’t roll out over the weighbridge with a few empty heavyweight containers on it or similar just to lighten the load that are then removed

if co’ dealing with doesn’t agree then you may have half the answer

small number of drivers? saleable product? maybe have a cash drop off deal enroute

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)

The topic ‘Recyclers and weigh bridge tickets’ is closed to new replies.