Viewing 32 posts - 1 through 32 (of 32 total)
  • Recumbents
  • molgrips
    Free Member

Go on then, let’s hear it. Who rides one, who loves or hates them? What designs do you like?

This was brought to mind this morning as a colleage told me about this ‘weird’ bike she saw on the train. I went to wikipedia to show some pictures for identification purposes, and it occurred to me that the article was clearly written by a fan.

Perhaps this is a niche too far for STWers?

Gary_M
    Free Member

Always fancied having a go on one, I can see the attraction. But on UK roads, not a chance.

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

dangerous as fek, why would you ride something on the roads that puts you so far below the eyeline that no one can see you.

Driving home one night over swarkestone bridge (narrow causeway, 2ft high walls at the roadside, just wide enough for two cars to pass, lots of bends/dips) i came up behind one, didn’t see it untill i practicly ran him into the wall!

Del

as above. i’d love to be able to use one, but nowhere near the road thanks!

BigDummy
    Free Member

Never ridden one, but would love to.

🙂

molgrips
    Free Member

I’ve been on a high up one – head as high as a normal bike, and it was bloody torture. Almost impossible to ride – critically unstable; couldn’t get up any kind of speed (a full on sprint resulted in a heady speed of 17mph) and after about an hour my back was completely f*cked.

Wouldn’t mind a low-down one tho, esp if I lived in the US and could ride country roads on those big wide shoulders they have.

Hairychested
    Free Member

They “upset” me when I bomb down the road and they overtake me as if I were a stationary object. Bloody fast they seem.

No_discerning_taste
    Free Member

My husband has got one, a HP velotechnik Street Machine. People do seem to notice him while he is riding it judging by the amount of harassment he gets!

Youths shout “That’s sick!!!” to him which I suppose could be interpreted as a compliment occasionally!

Would ride it myself if only the pedals could be brought closer to the seat without having to shorten the chain!

coffeeking
    Free Member

I’d love a tadpole trike ‘bent, always wanted one. Not sure if they are worse to see than a bike but I’d not be riding one on 60 limits to save my life, if I just did 30s I’d certainly consider one, though the cost is vast. The one thing I get when commuting is pain in my lower back from being bent over on the bike.

molgrips
    Free Member

I did see an off-road one in a shop in the States. It was a trike with two at the front I think, full suspension (all three wheels independent) and a diff! Fantastic 🙂

Then again, I also really want this:

PhilO
    Free Member

I have an Optima Orca, which I love. 🙂

The criticisms above are all based on no/too little experience.

Invisible? Not so. Motorists can see the white lines, can’t they (ok, maybe not, judging by the lane discipline I see 😉 ). You are seen more because you’re different, and that draws attention. Anyway, there’re plenty of lower cars out there. I chose a high one not to be seen, but to see things myself – looking over bonnets at junctions, etc.

Unstable? Uncomfortable? That’s what a non-cyclist says about an upright when they first ride it. Balance takes a different skill set to riding a Diamond Frame, and you need to learn it. Likewise, although more natural, the position will still feel odd if you’re not used to it and might cause aches and pains at first – especially if you’re tense because you’re still developing the control skills. 🙂

Incidentally, I did once nod-off while riding mine across the Lincolnshire Fens… I was lucky not to end up in the dyke.

Not fast? Who cares? I ride mine for comfort, anyway, but a new rider will probably be slower than on a DF because of that different muscle-groups thing. They also climb slower, generally, because you can’t get out the saddle and honk. But that means you get to the top fresher, providing you have your recumbent legs.

molgrips
    Free Member

Unstable? Uncomfortable?

Mate, I defy you to ride this particular bike and tell me it’s stable. I know that many are stable and comfortable, and it wasn’t my bike – fair enough. It was very very slow though and that’s not great. I didn’t enjoy taking 50% longer to cover the same roads. But anyway, I’m not anti recumbent – just anti that particular one 🙂

But I do still believe that the low ones are less visible. Of course, if you’re riding around the Fens with loads of open views and no hedges – great. If you’re on tight lanes in the Welsh countryside, you are easily below the field of view of motorists. You’re not gonna convince me otherwise 🙂

SteveTheBarbarian
    Free Member

Hate them.

If someone is unable to ride an upright, fair enough. I suspect most people I see in them are doing it to be ‘special’. If so it sucks, and I fancy running over them. They cause terrible tailbacks – which in my mind, they’re enjoying doing.

Most amazing thing I saw – a recumbent on the A50 in twilight without lights! I’ve never even seen a normal cycle on that very busy road. Guy must’ve had a deathwish, because I don’t think he’d survive that journey for long.

mountaincarrot
    Free Member

If I:
    A) Needed to ride the roads a lot, and
    B) Lived somewhere with little traffic, no kerb-hops, barriers, chicanes, pedestrian and dog dodging.

..Then I’d definitey ride one! I’m dead envious of low drag set ups.

glenp
    Free Member

Steve TB – congrats on a spectacularly dim-witted post. “They cause terrible tailbacks” huh?

Keva
    Free Member

they’re a bit freaky if you ask me. A chap round our way rides one, on the roads. I pulled up behind him once at a road junction and as we were waiting for a gap in the traffic he was swearing at all the cars going past. Cnts, feckers, go home you lot, $h1tters, aR$es, wnakers, get a bike…. it just went on and on, he had no idea I was behind him. say no more……..

SteveTheBarbarian
    Free Member

glenp

Congrats on a spectacularly dimwitted retort. You’ve clearly never been in traffic following one down country lanes for miles, have you?

Guy round here rides with a flag thing out the side, and doesn’t attempt to be anywhere near the edge of the road(ie sticks in the middle of lane). Seems to have an attitude like the guy Keva above said.

WorldClassAccident
    Free Member

Doesn’t look that different to a normal bike apart from the pedals are at the front. Does this answer the visibility/freak show questions.

The personality disorder issues are different, just ask a SS about a fixe in his sisters jeans.

SteveTheBarbarian
    Free Member

The one’s I’ve seen are 3 wheelers – not spoted a 2 wheeler one.

theflatboy
    Free Member

i’ve had a go on a few, they’re quite entertaining but none persuaded me to reject the traditional bike layout. one of these:

was more fun than any of the two wheel recumbents, particularly when cornering on two wheels 😆 but so low that i wouldn’t go anywhere near any traffic on one.

Olly
    Free Member

they CAN be rapid as hell!
    so much so that they are banned from road racing and seen as an unfair advantage.
    i reckon a 3 wheeler would be more suited to touring than going quick, but your not gonna see much country side down there, apart from the rubbery end of a tractor perhaps

theflatboy
    Free Member

i reckon a 3 wheeler would be more suited to touring than going quick

yeah probably, i only got a quick blast so set mode to “showing off” and was blasting it about and doing stoppies, etc. 😆

fun stuff!

glenp
    Free Member

Steve TB – how is that any different from a regular bike then? They aren’t slower, or much more wide. I ride in a safe place on country lanes (any road actually), which is not right in the gutter. Cars can overtake me when it is safe, not before.

SteveTheBarbarian
    Free Member

Like I explained, the guy I see now and again is in/on a 3 wheeler. He rides in the middle of the lane, with an orange flag sticking out. You have to go on the opposite side of the road to overtake him, and often that’s not possible for a good long time – hence the long queue behind him. I do think he’s got attitude, and something against motorised vehicles. He makes no attempt to pull over a bit, where he can. To be honest, I feel like getting out and giving the guy a kicking.

That’s where my recumbent hatrid comes from. If someone’s on a two wheeler, taking up no more space than any other bike, then I certainly have no problem with it.

jackthedog
    Free Member

I’m quite a fan of this 20″ wheeled Azub ‘bent.

Really nice bike. If I lived well away from busy roads and abusive chavs, I’d ride one :o)

Tracker1972
    Free Member

It isn’t exactly a recumbent, well, not just a recumbent but I would love a Hase Pino of almost any description. Seems like a really intriguing way of traveling together, including the freewheel for the recumbent bit, so they don’t even have to pedal! Not such a good plan according to my potential stoker (still a stoker if they are in front?).

or if you are feeling brave/stupid

joemarshall
    Free Member

Like I explained, the guy I see now and again is in/on a 3 wheeler. He rides in the middle of the lane, with an orange flag sticking out. You have to go on the opposite side of the road to overtake him, and often that’s not possible for a good long time

What, you mean you have to overtake him in the way the law says you have to overtake him, by pulling onto the opposite side of the road? That’s hardly the end of the world is it?

Joe

jackthedog
    Free Member

And that front wheel drive Mike Burrows thing looks quite nice, too.

SteveTheBarbarian
    Free Member

Joe

Guess you’re all for cyclist riding in the middle of the lane, or 3 abreast, reducing a whole line of cars to 10-15mph for miles and miles are you?

glenp
    Free Member

Cars have to break into the other lane to overtake, unless the left lane is uncommonly wide. I can’t think of any road where the cars would be unable to get by for “miles and miles” – there’s usually a safe opportunity if they wait a few seconds – a minute even.

I want a metre to my left and the same to my right – that’s not asking much is it?

ir_bandito
    Free Member

A guy I work with organised this year’s world champs for “human powered vehicles” (recumbants). He builds carbon fibre shells and components for them too.
    For racing around an old aerodrome a very high speeds (world record is something like 80mph) they’d be ace, but I wouldn’t want to ride one on the road. Bit like track bikes in that respect – for racing only.
    That said I’d like a go on a Pino Haas.

molgrips
    Free Member

I can’t think of any road where the cars would be unable to get by for “miles and miles”

Loads of those around here.

Viewing 32 posts - 1 through 32 (of 32 total)

The topic ‘Recumbents’ is closed to new replies.