Viewing 29 posts - 1 through 29 (of 29 total)
  • Recruitment Agents.
  • tails
    Free Member

Is this a normal thing to do, I dealt with the chap around a month ago. He did not get me any interviews and I am still in my current job 😕 Why can't he not get his own managers, is it that hard?

Please pardon my ad-hoc approach but I wondered if you might be able to help me with names of exhibition project or production managers you might know.

They don’t need to be job seeking right now – I can get my headhunters hat on. And if you’d rather keep your identity out of the frame, I’ll make sure of it. Just their name and where they work would be fine, I’ll do the rest. But if you have their phone number or email address – fantastic.

I’m looking around middleweight level, maybe a bit lighter. Basically anyone with 2-3 years experience and upwards (as a guide – anything up to £34/35k max.) If you know any I’d really appreciate their names.

Finders fee…..
    If I place anyone you name I’d be pleased to offer you a finders fee. Usually 10% what my client pays me. Even if they’re not right for this vacancy, I’ll still peg your name to them. That way, if I place them in the future you’ll still get a fee. If you’d prefer the fee to go to charity, that’s fine to.

If you want more information about the vacancy, or have any questions in general, let me know.

Pook

can you send me his details 😉

samuri
    Free Member

He's looking for ways into a company, he'll phone up using the name you gave and then use that contact to spread his way round the company, name dropping at significant points to make it sound like he's a regular.

Think about how a virus spreads and you've just about got it.

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    geetee1972
    Free Member

It's perfectly normal for recruiters to try and source candidates in this way and this one is offering you money if you make a referral and he then places that person. Fees for placing candidates at the level he's suggesting could be between 10% and 20% of the first years package value so you shouldn't sniff too loudly at the offer.
    Having said that, this chap's being very lazy and trying to take a big shortcut by blanket emailing his database. You might have been more receptive if he'd called you and built some rapport before asking for the referral.

hora
    Free Member

He'll hunt them down through a jungle and collect their skulls. Clean them and then bring them out occasionally to marvel and remember the chase (sometimes over a glass of cooking Sherry). His current favourite used to be called Hopper.

hels
    Free Member

Its white slave trade really.

I get calls like this "such and such gave me your name" get doorstepped quite a lot "my silly secretary thought I had an appointment – oh well as I am here do you have 5 minutes".

No I don't, and we have strict procedures for all contracts and recruitment activities, don't take cold calls, and I don't like your attitude the first words out of your mouth are lies, so would never in a million years do business with you or your company you are now on my Black List, as are all your ilk.

Sorry, but this kind of thing really winds me up, I am getting ruder and ruder and pretty much hang up on them now. Things must be getting pretty desperate out there !!

samuri
    Free Member

He'll hunt them down through a jungle and collect their skulls

That sounds like a lot of work for a recruitment agent to do. Actually moving about and picking something up? Nah, you've got them confused with people who work for a living. 😉

iDave
    Free Member

i heard one phone an HR manager in a big co., say he was doing an email newsletter on ***** and did she think there was anyone there who might benefit? she sent him a dozen email addresses…

i thought that was quite good.

PracticalMatt
    Free Member

It's a bit of a chancer thing to do, but times are hard.

Basically he's offering you money for apparently nothing, it's a win win.

CaptJon
    Free Member

Is the agent based in Nigeria?

KINGTUT
    Free Member

Normal practice in executive recruitment.

toby1

Rec Agents, everyone hates them till they find them a better job 🙂

and no, I'm not one!

dont want to offend, but for me they are up there with nightclub bouncers, estate agents and traffic wardens

KINGTUT
    Free Member

turnipforgeindustries – Member

dont want to offend, but for me they are up there with nightclub bouncers, estate agents and traffic wardens

Yep, tossers the lot of them..

hora
    Free Member

Disagree. Traffic Wardens carry out an essential role. The people who 'hate' Traffic Wardens tend to be the type who are **** when it comes to time keeping.

tails
    Free Member

So essentially just ignore him, he wasn't great to be honest calling me at 9 in the evening. I asked about a job in Greater London, he said can I move to Bristol, I said I'd rather stay in the South/South East he then went quiet.

So I think I'll do the same after all agents are 10 a penny, plus that finders fee is a load of rubbish, as if I'd ever see that.

Thanks for the replies.

molgrips
    Free Member

Anyone* with the word "agent" in their job title is scum.

* apart from the two or three good agents I know out of literally hundreds I've dealt with.

Oh and traffic wardens are fine. Drivers are the ones breaking the rules, if you can't handle a parking ticket then don't bloody well park illegally.

i don't even have a driving license so i am all for traffic wardens doing the job sa they should. i meant more the private contractor (paid on commission, give it a ticket if it's OK or not)/ illegal wheel clamper types.
    if you park where you shouldn't obviously you deserve a ticket.

theflatboy
    Free Member

my girlfriend recently got a ticket for parking in a loading bay on a red route. the limit's 20 mins. she got a ticket after 5, which is apparently policy as they had not seen any activity in the 5 mins they stood there, meaning she had to waste her time contesting it. 😆 😡

joolsburger
    Free Member

I have on my desk today a bottle of Laurent Perrier sent to me from a chap who just fulfilled his ambitions and joined a tier one consultancy with a hefty pay rise as well as significant improvement to his prospects.

We are not all useless bastards but I freely admit many are! I think the higher level a person you are the more likely you are to benefit from knowing a good executive search person.

Oddly enough the job market is incredibly busy right now, it's not all doom and gloom..

I think people in my job are hated because of the perception that we do very little for lots of money which on the whole is not really true. I'm able to post this because I was interviewing cvandidates till 10pm last night.

hora
    Free Member

I think people in my job are hated because of the perception that we do very little for lots of money which on the whole is not really true.

So I am the exception? 🙄

samuri
    Free Member

I think you're right in saying it's specific levels of jobs that possibly need an agent to help with but I've never worked with any agent who carried out any part of the process that I couldn't do myself, for free.

I guess removing the chaff is a useful function, but I could write a program to do that quite quickly, after that the only people qualified to determine if I'm suitable are the prospective employers and after that immediate contact, I'm really not sure what an agent does. The employers have my phone number and I have theirs. All negotiations are carried out between me and the employers.

But as you say, maybe it's a level thing.

tails
    Free Member

It's interesting that you say they are good for certain job levels. I got my first job from uni through an agent, I now have 3 years experience and find them less useful. They often call me quickly as my CV is decent, but they don't get me interviews. Where as on the rare occasion I find a position direct through a company, I often get interviews.

joolsburger
    Free Member

I think the main benefit for the kind of people I place is knowing who will and will not fit with a company. Technical skills are one thing but there is lots more to hiring the right person than just having the right skill set. For a short term IT contractor I agree it's simply a question of can they do the job. For a Partner in a one of the big 4 or a Sales VP for a big ITO/BPO there is lots more to it than skill set.

Most of what I do is speaking to people and understanding, in detail, exactly what they need, then finding them exactly that person (who is most likely very happy in their current role) in the shortest period of time.

I never call anyone speculatively as I simply do not have the time If I call I always have a real job that the person looks a good fit for.

I have never measured my success based on the size of my wallet, to be honest that bottle will stay on my desk to remind me that someone I worked with is very satisfied with the work I did on their behalf.

On the face of it I'm paid very well but if I wasn't worth it I wouldn't have any clients.

molgrips
    Free Member

I think people in my job are hated because of the perception that we do very little for lots of money

No.. most people in your job are hated by candidates because they are sleazy lying manipulative sods who pretend to be your bestest ever buddy when really they are only trying to sell you. They pretend to be working hard for you when it's a lie, they are actually working hard for their client, which is NOT you it's the company recruiting. Most recruiters hate people in your job because they try anything they can as underhanded as necessary to try and weasel their way into your company despite not being wanted or needed.

Only once or twice have I ever heard from an agent after I'd failed to get the job they were looking for, despite them claiming to be looking out for me.

As noted previously though, I do know one or two good people..

joolsburger
    Free Member

MG – I can't argue with that!

It's a battle to try and change that perception but many of the business leaders in my industry fully back and encourage that kind of behaviour from their staff..

hora
    Free Member

Funnily I've never been placed or used an agency to find any of my previous roles 😆

molgrips
    Free Member

jools – I think everyone recognises a good agent. It'll be no surprise that all the really good roles I've been talked to about have come from the few good agents I know.

Hora – it's a bit industry-dependent. In IT, almost everything goes through agents. Not even 1% is direct, I reckon, unless it's an IT role in some other industry sector that does its own recruiting – engineering or something.

what gets me are the fictional jobs on jobserve that only exist to get you to call.
    tier 1 investment bank, greenfield project, agile, scrum, 800 squids a day etc.

Viewing 29 posts - 1 through 29 (of 29 total)

The topic ‘Recruitment Agents.’ is closed to new replies.