Viewing 19 posts - 1 through 19 (of 19 total)
  • Recruitment agency, Wigan, 1997-9; How on earth would I find a name/number?
  • bullheart
    Free Member

I need to locate the name of a recruitment agency I did a couple of nights work at when I lived in Wigan, between 1997 and 1999. They provided me with work at a plastics factory, cutting pipe, in the locality. Unfortunately I cannot recall the name of either the agency or the plastics factory.

I appreciate that this is a long shot…

But does anyone have an idea as to where I might start? Does anyone out there have an old Wigan phone book?

PaulMc
    Free Member

How were you paid? Inland revenue (HMRC) should normally have records. Was it done officially if only for a few days?

deluded
    Free Member

bullheart – did you physically attend the RA?

If you did, Google Wigan Recruitment Agencies and ‘Street View’ the locations to see if you recognise the premises (if it’s still there of course).

gusamc
    Free Member

What about contacting Wigan library for old local papers of that date ? (to see if they advertised there – memory jogger type stuff)

dribbling
    Free Member

I have work colleagues in Wigan, e-mail me any info you can give and I’ll send some e-mails.

<EDIT> – that will have lived there at that time!

Rich

Bregante

Can you recall roughly where the factory was? (ie Wigan, skelmersdale etc)

Any of these ring any bells?

http://www.touchwigan.com/business/search/typeId/1486/type/Plastic+Plastic+Products+Manufacture

bullheart
    Free Member

Thanks guys,

Unfortunately I cannot recall where in Wigan it was, although my memory seems to place it in a small industrial mill complex on the way out to Standish…

I’ll try the HMRC route, and contacting the library. I don’t recognise any of the names of the current RAs though.

dribbling
    Free Member

I love a challenge – did you leave your wallet there or something?!

Library does seem like the best suggestion IMO – unless Cameron has set fire to it/removed funding altogether.

deluded
    Free Member

Are you after the RA or the PF .. or both? It begs the question – why? But I’ll mind my own business!

bullheart
    Free Member

Cancer related, I’m afraid. Angiosarcoma has been linked with the production of plastic products, such as poly pipes.

I’m just trying to find some answers. 😐

deluded
    Free Member

I had that in the back of my mind. Best of luck then.

dribbling
    Free Member

Captrad?

cyclistm
    Free Member

good luck, hope you find some answers

busydog
    Free Member

You might try contacting any current recruiting agencies in that area and ask around. You might find someone who had worked there o knows of the agency at that time.

dribbling
    Free Member

Companies House archive?

deluded
    Free Member

Bradley Hall Trading Est? There are chemical processing operations there and it’s near Standish (according to my internet dicking around).

bullheart
    Free Member

You’re a good bunch, aren’t you?

Really appreciate it folks…

samuri
    Free Member

If you find anything you need chasing up, I live a few miles outside Wigan so will be happy to do local checks for you if needed. Standish is no problem.

ourmaninthenorth

As Samuri, I don’t live far away (though don’t know Wigan v well tbh).

Another approach would be to consider ways to track down suitable companies themselves. Perhaps speak to the local authority, who may have records from business rates, etc.

Also, working out who the owners of the properties at the most suitable business parks might lead to finding info at the Land Registry (leases generally have to be registered).

Also, whoever it is might still be there….

Good luck. Interesting line of enquiry – hope it gets you what you’re looking for.

Viewing 19 posts - 1 through 19 (of 19 total)

The topic ‘Recruitment agency, Wigan, 1997-9; How on earth would I find a name/number?’ is closed to new replies.