Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)
  • Recovery – mainly commuting
  • spyke85
    Free Member

Is it worth taking Recovery drinks and if so, what do people recommend? Legs today are feeling dead, doing 150 miles a week just commuting by bike, and on feet all day. I’m wondering am I not recovering correctly. Currently taking no supplements, though eating a lot more!

rewski
    Free Member

Go on then I’ll bite, before spending money on expensive recovery drinks I’d seriously consider a rest day, I used to do 30 x 5 days, was knackered at the weekend so spoilt the weekend ride, which seemed pointless I cut the commute down, I’m now riding 2-3 times a month and feel much better, joking aside I do intend to build back up to 3 times a week.

EDIT: best recovery is good old fashioned sleep

spyke85
    Free Member

Today’s a rest day as I’m not working. Don’t feel mentally tired, just have legs feeling like dead weights. Been commuting since new year began.

trail_rat
    Free Member

i would suggest 3weeks on 1 off for commuting 150miles a week tbh – or a 3/2 day split.

expecting to do that milage every day will do more harm than good , especially if your not used to it.

once you get the legs on you youll find you can do it more often/recover quicker.

composite
    Free Member

Did you jump straight into that distance or have you built up to it?

Are you eating enough?

Are you getting enough sleep?

rewski
    Free Member

If your legs are aching and keeping you awake then try a magnesium supplement, nesquick contains added magnesium and so does a night-time recovery drink called nochte by sis but far more expensive.

trail_rat
    Free Member

“so does a night-time recovery drink called nochte by sis but far more expensive”

and tastes like chalk

DezB
    Free Member

Tried Nochte and a couple of other recovery drinks when I was commuting more regularly, but they played havoc with my guts. I’d rather have tired legs.

rewski
    Free Member

Been commuting since new year began

So 20+ days and you’re doing 150 per week, wow, as posts above imply, you’re legs are overworked, rest for a week then try 90 miles a week, but one day on one day off. You’re obviously very fit, but you’ll grow to hate the commute if your pushing too hard, unless you’re training for an epic?

thomthumb
    Free Member

commuting 5 days up is tough. it’s not just 5 days in a row it’s AM/ PM 5 days in a row. you never get more than ~12 hours recovery.

Take a day off every so often. it’ll only get easier.

spyke85
    Free Member

No idea if I’m eating enough. Crumpet with jam before I set off. Big bowl of porridge at work on arrival. Snack around 11, lunch at 1pm usually pasta, snack at 5, usually a toasted barm with peanut butter, and then tea at 7 when I’m home, full meal.
    Sleeping well.

pcb
    Free Member

I do a 34 mile round trip 3 days one week 4 days the next week.

By the end of the second week my legs are tired, but it does only get better as your fitness improves.

I’m not sure about supplements but I eat a lot more than I used too. Keeping to a normal healthy balanced diet.

hopefiendboy

Currently do 100 miles a week just commuting 5 days, sometimes take a day off from it using the motorbike. I find that it depends more on riding to suit how your body is feeling- ie drop a gear from the one you feel comfortable riding back home leg (one easier) and this becomes more of a recovery ride. My problem is/used to be I’d race each leg like a sprint (30 mins in 10 miles, 35 mins back 10 miles) and I’d be wasted come the start of week 2.

I almost find keeping the legs turning better than complete rest, but just choose the gearing/effort appropriately!

banks
    Free Member

Eat more – i’m eating 5 meals a day atm, they are a tad smaller but without them i’m just knackered!

mtbtomo
    Free Member

Chocolate milkshake made from drinking chocolate and skimmed milk is good poor-man’s recovery drink – lots of protein and also sugar from the chocolate powder.

soma_rich
    Free Member

I do 5 x 28 miles usually, I have a pint of flavoured milk when I get in. Crusha or Nesquick does the job never have sore legs at the weekend.

cynic-al
    Free Member

As above – you are getting used to it, cut the mileage until you are.

ahwiles
    Free Member

you’d think regular commuting would lead to super-human levels of fitness.

it just leaves me with near-death levels of fatigue, and VERY heavy legs.

i can fall asleep, at will, anywhere, anyti…

ZZzzzzzzzzzz.

Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)

The topic ‘Recovery – mainly commuting’ is closed to new replies.