Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Recovery from glandular fever
  • Bushwacked
    Free Member

Turns out I’ve had Glandular fever which explains a lot about why riding has been such a high / low experience recently.

Anyone got any tips on how to recover effectively from the after effects?

Doctor says pacing is the best idea

bigbob38
    Free Member

I had it as a teenager (some time back now!) and due the the slow progress made during the recovery, found myself going from good sprinter to running long races 3k etc…

My running coach just kept sending out jogging gently round the track as soon as I was strong enough. Not straining any part of my body but just keeping moving – it was boring!

Then I got on a bike to help the stamina and boredom – and really liked it – 20 years later I never run and rides loads 😀

As far as time – don’t look to to to much in the next 3 months… sorry

Cougar

I had glandular fever a few years back. Not sure about recovery, but there’s a couple of things I remember vividly.

The first was walking maybe 200 yards to the doctor’s before I’d been diagnosed. I was so boloxed that I couldn’t open the door, so I sat on the doorstep for ten minutes to recover so that I could find the strength to go in.

The second was, I lost two stone in a week. I went from 11.5 stone to 9.5. As a weight loss programme, there’s few better.

So if nothing else, you have my sympathies. Get well soon.

Handsomedog
    Free Member

I’m surprised you could ride Bushwacked. Mrs HD had it a couple of years back, laid her out for 2 weeks with a neck swollen to the size of a small elephant; she could barely swallow and certainly not move her head.

Recovery took a while but she wasn’t that active at that point so didn’t really notice any serious impacts.

Bushwacked
    Free Member

I don’t know when exactly I had it but I’ve had it since my last blood test a year or so ago.

It explains why I’ve picked up every bug far too easily, had palpitations and recovery from rides is taking a few days now.

I can see myself taking it very easily for the next few months – slowly building up exercise levels gradually – meaning no big rides for a while.

mboy
    Free Member

You’ve had glandular fever, yet have still been riding a bike! 😕

Are you Superman? (actually don’t answer that question!)

I’d get a 2nd opinion mate, everyone I’ve ever known to have Glandular Fever has been bed ridden for a minimum of 2 weeks, and in the case of my little sister, 4 months not able to do anything!

I got misdiagnosed with Glandular Fever a couple of years ago, but blood tests showed it up as inconclusive in the end.

But yes, the answer to recovering from pretty much anything is pacing yourself… Do too much, you will risk blowing a gasket! Do nothing though and I find recovering takes much much longer, riding (pacing it and building the distance slowly) regularly when I was recovering from CFS really helped me recover quicker. I was barely able to ride for 30 minutes to start, but within a couple of months I was managing a 3 hour ride without too much drama.

Bushwacked
    Free Member

Tell me about it MBoy! Blood test come back as having had GlandFev.

I told the Dr that I don’t recall having it and she said that symptoms vary from person to person.

I really don’t know when I’ve had it but it has been in the last year or two.

The symptons I’ve got at the moment are very similar to PVF which is common after GF. The longest I’ve been off the bike is around our trip to GT. I really wasn’t right when we were up in Scotland.

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

The topic ‘Recovery from glandular fever’ is closed to new replies.