Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • Recovering from a long one…
  • grenosteve
    Free Member

Did an 8 hour epic on the MTB yesterday which really took it out of me. Felt ok but achy last night and this morning, but now I’m sat at work and have been pouring cold sweats for the last hour! I’m the only idiot in the office with a fan in my face and an open window…

Normal? Am I about to get ill?

JAG

Not a normal part of my recovery process 😯

Achy – yes

Tired – yes

Sore – yes

Stretch lots, Eat well and get plenty of sleep – that sorts it out.

crashtestmonkey
    Free Member

dehydrated? Low blood sugar?

whitestone
    Free Member

Depends how long and how intense your normal bike rides are. I wouldn’t expect to have cold sweats though.

If you consider the time and intensity of your normal ride then increasing one or the other by up to around 50% shouldn’t be too much of a problem. So if you are usually out for four hours then a six hour ride will leave you tired and a bit sore the following day but not much more. If your normal ride is a lap of a trail centre lasting a couple of hours then an eight hour ride in the Lakes is going to hurt.

thomthumb
    Free Member

not unusual to have my temperature regulation out of whack after a long ride; but normally the same day. never cold sweats though.

grenosteve
    Free Member

Usually do 1.5 to 2 hours on the MTB, with the odd 3/4 hours longer ride.

Generally commute every day 40 mins each way, so definitely not trained for long days!

Did do over 2000m of climbing yesterday, so was a tough one for me.

Actually ate really well (resisted any junk food!) and have been supping plenty of water.

zilog6128

I’ve sometimes noticed mild flu-like symptoms the day after overdoing it, although normally in relation to intensity rather than just duration.

Bushwacked
    Free Member

Yeah – went for a long ride by my standard Saturday morning and can still feel it Monday. Normal – listen to your body and rest up

whitestone
    Free Member

Going from 1.5/2hr rides to an 8hr ride is like running a 5K Park Run then doing a marathon!

dovebiker

You’re immune systems is probably supressed and you’ve succumbed to a cold / fever. Rest and give your body a few days to recover.

grenosteve
    Free Member

Seems to have passed now, will rest up though and take it easy this week.

Just got a text from my bro (who I did the ride with), the Kielder 101 has been cancelled! 😥 The ride yesterday was training for it!

toby1

Healthy food not got all the salt you need in it?

IANAD – but it sounds like some recovery drinks and maybe something with some lard in would do you good!

Alternatively, lay off the coffee!

n0b0dy0ftheg0at
    Free Member

Get a high protein meal and some carbs inside you within an hour of finishing your ride, it is supposed to help prevent the massive post-ride slump and your body prioritises re-fuelling you in this short post-ride window.

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)

The topic ‘Recovering from a long one…’ is closed to new replies.