Viewing 26 posts - 1 through 26 (of 26 total)
  • Recovering fees for a course not used. – help please.
  • Mackem

I paid for a course starting 6th May. I paid on April 1st.
    Unfortunately I am no longer able to do this course, I told the providers today and they say that all they can do is give me a voucher towards a new course (less 20% admin).

This doesnt seem too fair to me. I just want my money back. Do I have a leg to stand on?

cheers.

mikewsmith
    Free Member

What did you sign? Read that first

Mackem

Didnt really sign anything, it was all via email, there was no info regarding refunds in the emails. It’s an online course.

dannybgoode

How do you mean an online course? Is it something you have signed up for to undertake something via a website?

If this is the case it is very possible that the website will contain the T&C’s that will explain what happens in the event you can’t do it.

Am I barking up the wrong tree?

Cheers

Danny B

mikewsmith
    Free Member

Somewhere there will be a “by doing this you accept the T&C’s” these will probably state what they have told you. After that it’s off to see how their T&C’s line up with the law.

At short notice it’s normally fair to deduct something to cover any expenditure incurred based on you doing the course.

Speshpaul

did you pay via a credit card? if so it might be worth speaching to the CC or asking the course providers for your money back in writing mentioning that you will be raising this with your CC.
    probably cheaper to just give you your money back that deal with the CC.

Mackem

Aye, just found the T&C’s – Full refund if within 10 working days, it’s been 13. – arse.

You can request a full refund up to ten working days* after confirmation that
    your purchase has been completed, provided the course has not started. Any
    request for withdrawal after ten days following purchase, or once the course
    has started, if approved, will receive a credit note which can be used towards
    paying for a future ********** online course. In such cases, 20% of the
    course fee will be charged as an administration fee.

Courses that cannot be continued or rescheduled will be refunded in full.

*Saturdays, Sundays or UK public holidays are not counted as “working days”.

br
    Free Member

If its online, can’t you postpone whatever it is that stops you doing the course?

Mackem

Unfortuntately, I cant postpone work.

aracer
    Free Member

I am a course provider. I’m running a course starting 6th May for which I’ve already paid for the venue and the trainer. One of the people on the course has backed out and wants his money back – this will result in me losing money.

This doesnt seem too fair to me. I just want to cover my costs.

Mackem

Very witty aracer, as stated this is an online course, whilst I’m sure there are some costs I think it’s fair for me to get at least a decent part of my money back rather than a voucher.

CharlieMungus
    Free Member

Who is the provider?

Mackem

Don’t think it’s fair to say. Even though I may feel a little hard done by (and some might agree) I’m sure others will feel they are being reasonable. It’s just that I’m not exactly rich and having a few hundred quid in vouchers that I may not use doesnt feel good. I was hoping there was some sort of statutory 30 days cooling off period type regulation i could quote to them

plyphon
    Free Member

Did you pay by credit card? Section 75 refund if so.

CharlieMungus
    Free Member

Not unfair to say. You are oy stating facts. The T&Cs are public and clearly something they are prepared to stand by.

It might help folks seeking to advise.

hels
    Free Member

Good luck. I pulled out of a course 3 weeks before it was held, and called to tell them. I called again when they invoiced me 2 days before the course, they then tried to say I hadn’t let them know in time, they hadn’t got the message, they had nobody called Louise working for them etc etc.

They were very dogged, sending me more invoices then threatening letters re suing me, which I filed neatly in the round archive.

Total numpties – I am still on their mailing list and still get junk mail from them.

Anyway my point is that training companies tend to have this kind of thing all sewn up, you will no way get your money back. The key is to not pay until you are sure !

jon1973
    Free Member

Did you pay by credit card? Section 75 refund if so.

Don’t see how that would help in this case. The T&Cs were published and clear. The credit card company isn’t going to help. Section 75 isn’t about just getting your money back, whatever the circumstances.

maccruiskeen

From my experience of offering courses in the past there was a very narrow band between enough participants to break even and run the course and full subscription – in terms of the number beyond which you couldn’t give the participants good value. From memory we broke even at 10, so needed 11 to see any return, but we were fully booked at 14. So a fully subscribed course could become unviable with just one or two late dropouts.

plyphon
    Free Member

(posted something but then decided to not post something)

treaclesponge
    Free Member

Sounds like you have been a bit unlucky but if its all stated in the T&C’s then I doubt you can do a great deal in reality. Im more confused why you are suddenly unlikely to take the course, which you had booked, another time?

nixie

Love google 😀

wwaswas

I did that google but then decided that as the OP had chosen not to use thae name of the organisation he may have had good reason to hide it.

theflatboy
    Free Member

nixie, you devil. 😆

nixie

😀 Doing more than one thing at once, link removed.

Mackem

Little tinkers.

OK, British Council. Didnt seem right to have a whining post mentioning them when they’ve done nowt wrong. Simply dont have the time needed to the course properly and to be honest, the money could be better spent elsewhere. Ah well, that’s life.

Viewing 26 posts - 1 through 26 (of 26 total)

The topic ‘Recovering fees for a course not used. – help please.’ is closed to new replies.