Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Recovering a pitched shed roof so you can walk on it.
  • bigsurfer
    Free Member

I have a bog standard 8’x8′ wooden shed with a low angle pitched roof that currently has a toung and groove wooden roof that was covered in roof felt but it needs replacing. I need to stand on the roof at least once per year as their is a big conifer hedge behind the shed that you can’t get to to trim any other way. Is their any other options for roofing that would be more robust. Happy to put OSB board on the roof before the top coating.

Saccades
    Free Member

At a minimum you’ll need to strengthen the rafters – 2×6 at 18″ spacings would definitely be enough (your ridge would have to be increased too) going from the calculations I did 2 years ago for a playhouse. I don’t know how much less you could go by.

If you are not bothered by the look of the thing, osb covered in edpm (The industrial rubber sheeting stuff, pretty cheap and good for +20 years), it’s what I’d get if the missus hadn’t demanded tiles.

You might have to increase the frame work too (I forget the name, joists? not the noggins) to support the reinforced roof and your weight.

Might be easier to rent a long handled hedge cutter.

nickjb
    Free Member

Just put a scaffold board on top and walk on that. If it reaches the edges so is over the walls the load should be spread enough.

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    bigsurfer
    Free Member

I am not worried about the loads, I have been walking on 9mm tounge and groove for 6 years, will look at the EPDM and also use will put sheets of OSB under the new covering to help spread the load.

bear-uk
    Free Member

EPDM is really easy to DIY, although if I have to walk on mine I put some thin ply on first just incase anything on my feet damage the surface.

fallsoffalot
    Free Member

Epdm can get slippery over time with algae

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

The topic ‘Recovering a pitched shed roof so you can walk on it.’ is closed to new replies.