• This topic has 11 replies, 10 voices, and was last updated 9 years ago by accu.
Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • Recovering a leather saddle?
  • cinnamon_girl

Can it be done? Saddle not actually damaged, Selle Italia no longer sell this model.

Thanks. 🙂

gary

I scribbled this name away from a previous thread (that I can’t search out now) – website was not this fancy then!

http://www.b-hide.com/

Not used them (yet) and not cheap, but maybe worth a look depending on how much you like the saddle!

joshvegas
    Free Member

Its incredibly easy to do yourself.

What saddle is it?

crankrider
    Free Member

Thats a co-incidence, i asked about this today to someone who knows their leather work etc…

They said no problem, use a fairly stretchy but still tough enough leather, if you dont have removable plastic bits on the underside of the saddle to snug the leather under then a staple gun if you have it or contact adhesive.

They said something about treating leather after too if it hasnt been already but i would probably just use it….

joshvegas
    Free Member

I’ve never had to actually staple the leather just the contact glue.

Peel the old leather off gently and flatten it out to give you a rough shape.

Some razor blades are handy for cleaning up the edges underneath.

bowglie

Apologies in advance for not knowing being able to recall the name of the product, but years ago I revived an old Brookes leather saddle using some stuff recommended by Brookes – and the stuff worked really well. FWIR, the product is something used by equestrians for saddles & tack (or whatever they call it!) – the stuff is either called leather reviver or restorer, and all I can remember is that it was a snotty green colour. From experience, the ‘horsey stuff’ was a lot better and cheaper than the leather restorer products typically on sale in automotive places.

Maybe Brookes have something on their website?

HTH

NorthCountryBoy
    Free Member

Hi I’ve recovered a couple using pieces of leather from a sample book from a furniture shop
    Carefully peeled of old cover and used it a template adding 10-20mm extra that can be trimmed after fitting. Glued it on using aerosol spray adhesive. Worked pretty well the only problem for me was the saddle wasn’t at all waterproof as the leather didn’t seem to resist water and often get really wet on wet rides.
    Could post a pick if you like 🙂

JoeG
    Free Member

I recovered my favorite WTB saddle a year or two ago. Its been just fine!

I bought leather remnant from ebay, used 3M spray adhesive over the saddle, and a tube of contact cement to secure the leather underneath. I didn’t use staples, just a binder clip to clamp the saddle on the bottom edge while the contact cement dried.

The saddle is quite contoured, and the original cover was 5 or 6 pieces. The new cover is only 1 piece, so I had to leave 2 small folds on the rear of the saddle to take up the extra. They don’t look bad.

My biggest tip is to cut the leather larger than you think will be needed. You can always cut more off. And don’t be afraid to do the contact cement in stages, sides first. Let them dry, then tackle the nose and rear, with the rear corners last.

mattsccm
    Free Member

Old leather jacket to suit from charity shop or somewhere free and tube of contact adhesive from 99p shop.

Andy
    brant
    Free Member

Precise detail via PVD here, though Rob’s post is excellent.

Remanufacturing

accu
    Free Member

just some inspirations…
    and examples for what is possible…

http://leh-sply-mfg.tumblr.com/

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)

The topic ‘Recovering a leather saddle?’ is closed to new replies.