Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Recording roads ridden, is Strava Heatmap the best option?
  • 13thfloormonk

I’ve always found the Walkhighlands personalised Munro Map quite a cool feature, allows you to see which hills you’ve climbed and which you haven’t in a map format.

I was hoping something similar might exist for showing which roads you have and haven’t ridden. Something like Google Map but that you can save and update as you go.

I’m aware of Strava Heatmap although still haven’t coughed up for Premium membership, I guess that’s a good starter for 10 although it won’t show stuff I rode years ago.

Is there anything similar you can update manually?

I’m considering just pasting a touring map to a wall but the only free wallspace is out in the garage, I want to be able to view it from the warmth of the sofa! 8)

jam-bo

Veloviewer have the explorer tiles but I think they are 5km squares so pretty crude

scotroutes

VeloViewer and just view Activities. You can even select what map you want to look at.

13thfloormonk

Nice! Just tried it out, pretty feeble looking in the free version, dominated by the same 20km commute 2-3 times a week, but £10 to view my entire history seems pretty tempting…

scotroutes

Loads of other geeky stuff in VV too. Well worth £10 pa.

Just wait until you discover the Explorer stats…..

sirromj

Download your data from Strava. Load the GPX files into Viking GPS. They will all show at once over a map (you’ll need to create the map layer).

You can also manually add layers and draw tracks/routes though it’s unsophisticated without the follow-roads feature found with many online tools.

Thought I better test it out. Currently loading 1270 GPX files into Viking GPS. It’s not exactly speeding along on a 4 core 4ghz processor with 16gb ram. Taken almost ten minutes now, not sure how far along it is. I think once it’s done the importing and saved it will load quicker next time. Fairly doubtful it Will be at all responsive though.

edit: 18 minutes now – 1 years worth of GPX files down, 1.5 years to go!

CraigW
    Free Member

This will give you a heatmap from your Strava activities, for free. http://www.jonathanokeeffe.com/strava/map.php

whitestone
    Free Member

+1 for Veloviewer. You can show all routes you have ridden (well recorded in Strava) along with the Explorer tiles. There’s a whole lot more geekiness as well should you want it.

sirromj

JFTR, it took over two hours before all 1270 GPX files finished loading into Viking GPS. Guess it’s just not designed for that kind of thing. UI was bordering on totally unresponsive. Saved file was 480mb. I could possibly run sed on the file (after an intensive regex refresher course) to optimize some of the cruft out but doubt it would make much difference.

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)

The topic ‘Recording roads ridden, is Strava Heatmap the best option?’ is closed to new replies.