• This topic has 14 replies, 10 voices, and was last updated 9 years ago by core.
Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • Recons v Rebas
  • Gunz
    Free Member

I’ve always had Rebas but they don’t come in the configuration I want (26″, non-tapered, 15mm axle) but Recon Golds do. I’ve always been under the impression that Recons sit lower in the Rockshox product line than Rebas but are they significantly worse, the pictures don’t look that much different.

martinhutch

I’ve had both. Recon Golds are a lot heavier than my Reba RL Solo Air.

What exact model Reba are you after – I’m sure someone posted a list of stock at Alltricks yesterday which had 26 straight 15mm in them?

Gunz
    Free Member

That was in reply to me Martin but I could only find tapered steerers in there. I’ll have another look.

somouk
    Free Member

Recons are a spring fork where as Rebas are an air fork I believe hence the weight difference and lack of ability to tune as well.

martinhutch

That was in reply to me Martin but I could only find tapered steerers in there. I’ll have another look.

You’re probably right – I didn’t look that closely. 😳

amedias
    Free Member

Recons are a spring fork where as Rebas are an air fork I believe

Nah, plenty of air Recon models, the older ones used the same lowers but with a slightly porkier upper and normally the cheaper dampers.

The newer Rebas have a different lower casting too, I think the Recons still use the older one though, but I haven’t checked.

They are lower int he range but the top end Recons are close enough to the low end Rebas performance wise that I doubt you’d notice. If you’re lookign 2nd hand it gets even more complicated as more modern and higher end Recons may even have the same damper as an older Reba.

Just be sure to check what Damper they are using and what spring type is, but generally they are good forks for the money that offer decent performance with only a mild weight penalty.

andy4d

Taxi25 they are tapered.

amedias
    Free Member

the picture is of a tapered fork but the top description lists 1 1/8th, the bottoms says tapered, so which is it!?

devash
    Free Member

Both are good XC / light trail forks. Rebas are a bit lighter with slightly better damping. I’ve had a set of Recons (2012, solo air, TK lockout) as well as a set of 2013 solo air Rebas.

Its rather hard to get straight steerer Rebas now. I picked up one of the last sets from Merlin last year but it seems that this year only the Recons are widely available with 1/8″ steerer tube. A decent set of 2nd hand dual air Rebas would be a better bet.

Gunz
    Free Member

Thanks for all the advice. I’m also confused ref the description on Alltricks but having routed around I’d be surprised if they’re straight steerer.
    It’s a shame they don’t provide this option as my hunting indicates a strong demand still.

oldnpastit

I went from Recon Gold to Rebas and the difference was pretty noticeable, and I don’t even know much about suspension. Apart from being a bit lighter, the damping was just much better.

OrangeLad
    Free Member

How much travel are you looking for? Revelation’s come in RCT3 flavour with straight steerer and 15mm axle with 140mm which you could lower to 130mm with a change to the air shaft. I picked up a set cheap getting evans to price match.

Gunz
    Free Member

I’m using these on an old frame Orange Lad so 140 is a bit much, but thanks.

core

I went from Recon’s (silver, coil) to dual air reba’s, 2012 model I think, night and day difference, but I’m 15st, so the standard spring in the recon’s was never really man enough to prevent dive.

I got 120mm travel, 1 1/8″ steerer, 15mm axle, in black from merlin, about 18 months ago for reasonable money, but they do seem to have dried up a bit now….

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)

The topic ‘Recons v Rebas’ is closed to new replies.