Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Recon lockout not working
  • adamjbinnie
    Free Member

I recently had some Recon Silver TK solo airs posted to me and I’m having trouble with the lockout, I’ll describe the symptoms.

The lockout engages fine and does increase the compression but there is about an inch of movement when I lean on the bars.

It was making a squirting noise on compression when the lockout was engaged but it’s not doing this now.

It worked fine before posting so I’m wondering whether some oil has migrated during transit? The problem was a lot worse before I installed the forks, left them upright overnight and then pumped them for ageeeees this morning to get the fluids moving, but I can still compress the forks about half way.

In addition, I’ve topped the air up to 110psi which is a bit more than I need as I weigh 82 pounds and am still getting a bit of sag. There is also a sharp sucking noise when the forks rebound, although I’ve never had an air spring before so this may be normal?

cp

It sounds like the oil level isn’t high enough in the damper leg. There are rock shox tech documents explaining how much oil should be in there and how to take the fork apart to add oil – it’s a very simple process really, but can be unnerving the first time.

Take a look in the service manuals bit of the RS/SRAM website.

I assume the forks are used?

adamjbinnie
    Free Member

Thanks, I’ve had a look at the tech document, any advice on what oil to use/where to get it?

Also, how do you accurately measure 147ml? I can’t imagine my girlfriend being keen on me using anything from the kitchen!

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    adamjbinnie
    Free Member

They are used, but very low mileage. They look brand new!

coatesy
    Free Member

My first thought was that they’ve probably leaked their damping oil through the seal head on the rebound damper into the lower fork leg. Used to be a common RS fault, even on brand new/unused forks.

cp

Motorbike shop for the fork oil. And a cheap syringe from ebay for measuring the oil.

carlos
    Free Member

You can prob get a syringe from a local vet, in exchange for a couple of quid donation in a charity box there. I got a couple for nowt as I’m a registered client.

adamjbinnie
    Free Member

Cool I’ll have a look. If the oil has leaked through the seal, does that need replacing too?

Also, I’m fairly sure my car engine oil is 15/40 fully synthetic, will this do for the legs? They need 15wt.

cp

NO for car oil as suspension fluid. They are not the same.

15w40 does not equal 15wt, completely different meanings…

adamjbinnie
    Free Member

Cheers CP glad someone knows what they’re doing! Ordered 500ml each of 15wt and 5wt so will do the job properly.

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)

The topic ‘Recon lockout not working’ is closed to new replies.