• This topic has 2 replies, 2 voices, and was last updated 13 years ago by hug.
Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • Recon 351s- play @ top of travel
  • hug
    Free Member

they are single air-motion control (2007s but they had new internals fitted under warranty in 08) While checking for play in the bushes yesterday (which are fine)I noticed that there is about 2-3mm play in the travel,if i hold the wheel and full up on the bars it will come up & stay there until i put some weight on the bars (minimal-it's not like it gets stuck or anything) or if i leave it at the bottom of this bit of play it will stay there (so the air spring is having no effect on this little bit of travel) everything else is working fine, it never loses air pressure & the danping responds to tweeks on the little knob thing (as we'd hope any knob thing would) usually of course this would be an ideal & very sellable opportunity (to my wife) to get some new forks but lack of work (anyone need a plumber in Essex ?)means they have to last longer & I'll be doing the work myself which is no real prob.So any thoughts on the causes or indeed do they all do this & I just didm't notice it before ?

On that note I'm going out for about a 3-4 hour ride with the lads which will hopefully end at a pub (rather than A&E having chinned the bars when the forks collaps)

ampthill

I posted about this on my nearly new 335 solo airs. Well it sounds like the same thing. Some one said it was par for the course but I was unsure so phoned TF tuned.

They said you're feeling the play in the floating piston needed in a solo air fork. This equalises the pressure, at the end of the stroke, between the positive and negative air chambers. I've carried on riding with no problems. However they said if was more than a few mm or the fork was loosing air it was a spring breaking up that would wreck the fork. They were certainly confident that what I descibed was in the air spring not the damping side

If it is the floating piston then its weird that you have never noticed before.

I hope this helps

hug
    Free Member

Thanks very much for that,just back from a ride through woods & across fields for a few hours & they're working a treat, trouble is I now think my arse is broken (footpath across ploughed field + hardtail).

Once again ampthill Thanks

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)

The topic ‘Recon 351s- play @ top of travel’ is closed to new replies.