Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • Recommended web hosting needed!
  • jimmers
    Free Member

Hi,
    Looking for
    – Linux
    – PHP
    – Email
    – SSH access
    – MySQL
    – Decent control panel

For £5 per month or less. Decent support a must.

Thanks in advance!

jekkyl

http://www.bluehost.com/
    the prices are great and the reviews they get are great too. Won several awards etc etc.

jamesfts
    Free Member

Have used one.com for a while without complaint.

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    Nonsense
    Free Member

TSO host have been really good for me so far

elliott-20
    Free Member

TSO host have been really good for me so far

+1

Possibly the best host I’ve been with. And I’ve been with a few.

pdw
    Free Member

If I’m allowed to recommend my own company… http://www.mythic-beasts.com

We’ll do the above for £38/year including shell access. We’re a small company and pride ourselves on great support. The people manning the support queue are the same people who admin the servers so you’ll be talking to someone who knows what they’re doing.

vikingboy
    Free Member

any chances of a STW members discount for Mac Mini Colo? 🙂

Karl33to
    Free Member

Have got a couple of sites with TSOhosts and with work we have half a dozen sites plus a dedicated server with Daily.co.uk wouldn’t hesitate to recommend either.

pdw
    Free Member

any chances of a STW members discount for Mac Mini Colo?

I’m afraid that there’s really not much margin on the colo option, but if you’re interested in a dedicated Mac Mini we can probably do something as we’ve got quite a few in stock at the moment.

alexxx
    Free Member

£5er a month? haha right well all good options are out of the window.

digitalocean would be your best best if you know your stuff but by the sounds of “decent support” I guess you don’t.

TSO host are nice and friendly but don’t rely on any emails sent to / from their system as it’s shockingly unreliable. They have more downtime than they’d let on with their cloud service so stick to their cpanel offerings.

If you want an account on a £300 a month server that has a lemp/lamp stack then send me an email. The price is £10 a month but I guarantee you won’t get anywhere near the speed it’s offering for less than £50 a month.

Emails however… I’d tell you to use a 3rd party supplier like zoho or gandhi because I don’t like inboxes clogging up the server. If wordpress is your thing… then you are talking to the right dev.

If you were interested in spec…

AMD 2x Opteron 4386 x16 Core
    128GB DDR3 Ram
    SSD storage with 6gbps sata3 drives for the bulkier stuff

Nginx and Apache 🙂

jimmers
    Free Member

Thanks for all the replies. I will be signing up with Bluehosting as I get simple hosting on a LAMP box with SSH and spam filtering for just less than £45.

Alexxx, the current server is a custom build on Digital Ocean using the $5 per month option. WordPress runs fine, it is the iRedMail that falls over constantly due to the memory requirement of the SPAM / AV filters. The memory has been optimised to a ridiculous level even to degree of converting the MySQL engine to MYISAM only and removing the InnoDB engine.

alexxx
    Free Member

Hi Jimmers – do you really need to run the mail on the server? When you’re talking the budget you are you will always face a bit of a hassle trying to balance that much on such a low spec’d system.

I was in the same boat as you for quite a while however now most of the sites I run (around 200) just load straight from the ram which is ace for performance.

I found digital ocean decent for dev work but not a long term solution unless you had hours to spend trying to get the most out of their small packages like you suggested. Also they usually run the risk of bonking with larger traffic spikes unless you’re prepared.

Glad to hear you’re sorted anyway – not heard of Bluehosting but I’m sure all the cheap packages are much of a muchness and if you spend long enough looking at a system you’ll find gripes.

stoke1
    Free Member

I’ve been using names.co.uk and been pretty happy with the service, helps that customer services are UK based.

I pay for a premium package but they did have one for less than £5p/m which includes a domain name, Linux etc.

Might be worth checking out.

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)

The topic ‘Recommended web hosting needed!’ is closed to new replies.

New deal added to Members Discounts