Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 53 total)
  • Recommended route in the White Peak please……
  • topangarider
    Free Member

My mate is over from Germany next week, so we're heading to the White Peak for a change.

Can anyone recommend a route – say 20miles – with a nice pub for lunch?
    Ideally Chesterfield/Matlock/Bakewell area.

Cheers in advance!

jonjon

Try Linacre Classic from Vertebrate Publishing's White Peak book It is fairly mud proof, alternately if it does rain a lot go for the Calver Circuit.

nbt

The Bear at Alderwasley is the best pub in that area, not sure what rides it's near other than the Cromford loop, which is ok but no great shakes (unless you add on the swine of a climb on the other side of the A6 from cromford, then get the great descent back)

The Five dales loop from that book is a corker, but Linacre is equally as good in the right conditions

topangarider
    Free Member

Cheers guys, I have the book, so will look them up.

joemarshall
    Free Member

the Cromford loop, which is ok but no great shakes

They suggest that you walk the best bit too (to be fair it's a footpath, but even so)!

The Bear is a nice pub, but have you been there for lunch with muddy mountainbikers in winter? It is perhaps a bit restauranty for that, no? Depending on group size, you might need to book there also, it gets dead busy at weekends. There is a bunch of nice riding in that area / Cromford area, but it is a)very hard to describe and b)some of it is pretty blatantly naughty stuff.

Personally I'd do something around Darley Dale way:

this is a quick 15 miler I knocked up a bit back – there are a few obvious bridleways you can add on from Beeley towards Bakewell – most of the bridleways on those hills that look nice on the map are quite nice in reality too.

http://www.bikehike.co.uk/mapview.php?id=20299

I don't know the pubs though. Jolly good tearoom at the water mill in Rowsley (nice cake, nice freshly cooked food, although it may be vegetarian if you don't like that, I can't quite remember). Also a nice in a very English way tearoom in Edensor, which might be a good place to stop with a foreigner, the cake isn't so good, and it is pricier, but it is much more of a really English experience than the slightly hippy mill at Rowsley (and it sells things with meat in if veggie food is a problem for you guys).

Oh yeah, that is some of the 5 dales loop, but doubling back to get in a really good descent at the end, and also skipping some of what I think are the less good bits, although I know others disagree.

Joe

Kramer
    Free Member

The Bear is a nice pub, but have you been there for lunch with muddy mountainbikers in winter? It is perhaps a bit restauranty for that, no? Depending on group size, you might need to book there also, it gets dead busy at weekends.

Yes I have, and it's been fine. You do need to book though.

Mister-P
    Free Member

There was a route in one of the mags years ago starting at Matlock and heading round Bakewell. One of the chaps (Aiden?) at Stanley Fearns in Matlock was the guide so might be able to point you in the right direction.

Vague answer of the day!

Kramer
    Free Member

unless you add on the swine of a climb on the other side of the A6 from cromford, then get the great descent back

The climb's the best bit. 😉

HeathenWoods
    Free Member

I do like this descent which starts about here and that's pretty easy to include in most loops round there.

Having said that I'd gladly hear of any others. Also any pointers to the sort of path you caould enjoy walking down and thinking, "Gosh, I wish it was legal to ride down here," in the area would be appreciated 😉

topangarider
    Free Member

Cheers guys – will check them out on the map when I get home.

BTW – he's English, just lives in Berlin!

joemarshall
    Free Member

I do like this descent which starts about here and that's pretty easy to include in most loops round there.

Having said that I'd gladly hear of any others. Also any pointers to the sort of path you caould enjoy walking down and thinking, "Gosh, I wish it was legal to ride down here," in the area would be appreciated

Yeah, nice isn't it. A good big challenge climb too – that's why I bunged it in that route both ways round.

There is a lovely track from the top of Black Rocks that I have very much enjoyed walking down, but obviously have never ridden down. It is maybe not a weekend path though, it gets a bit busy up there. It is a bit hard to describe where it is also.

Bonsall to Cromford which is a moral bridleway (it suddenly stops being a bridleway for about the last 250m, just changes into a footpath in the middle of nowhere for no good reason).

I particularly like Fallinge -> Copy Wood -> Northwood too. Legal.

Oh and the golf course descent into Bakewell (the bridleway not the crazy and not really very fun footpath one)

Does anyone know if the track marked in Manners Wood near Bakewell, going all the way along from Lees Moor Wood, is rideable, that'd make up a nice loop, up from Edensor, along Manners Wood all the way, down to Bakewell, up the hill again and back to Edensor.

Oh also, a bit less far into the Peak (if you're coming from the Derby end of the A6, probably not what the original poster is looking for, but this route is nice. I may be biased as it starts 200m from my house, but the descent on Longwalls Lane (which I believe is legally still a road!) starts as a fast singletrack, then degenerates into fantastic rocky stuff with big things to fall into / ride over, whereas the Chevin is a fantastic long fast track, with a mix of easy stuff with a few rocks chucked in, finishing off with a nice little rocky and rooty descent.

http://www.bikehike.co.uk/mapview.php?id=24048

A couple of lovely descents and a jolly nice pub. Not really a day out route like the Bakewell / Darley Dale ones are, but for anyone needing to pop out for a quick ride and coming from the Derby area, it is well worth it. Nice pubs at Milford too – Strutt Arms for cheapish pub food, King William for real ale, Holly Bush at Makeney for meat pies and pickled onions plus some real ale too.

Joe

jackal
    Free Member

Yep agree, thats a nice fast descent.

This route is quite good if you want to come closer towards ashover, a fair bit of road on it though. I normally descend between point 2 and 1 on the map, not climb it;

linky

I've been doing a few different routes around the ashover area since i started mtb'ing in the nineties, its where i learnt to ride so i'm quite attatched to it 😉
    I ride from home (about 5 or 6 mile away) so quite convenient too. We normally stop for a pint at the 'old poets corner' (red lion) or 'black swan', both do decent real ales, not sure if they do food in the day though.

😀

HeathenWoods
    Free Member

Cheers Joe – I never get to ride on weekends anyway as my boys come over Fri-Sun but next time work's quiet on a weekday I'll have a look round Black Rocks for 'special walks' in that area 🙂

I like the stuff West of Belper too – I think we'll be buying somewhere up that way in a couple of years time and those two tracks are part of the reason Belper's top of the 'close to Derby, close to riding' pile.

The Ashover route is really helpful too Jackal – I've looked at those BWs on the map but always ended up doing the usual stuff instead, I'll have to check them out next time i get a train up to Matlock.

jonjon

I heard Vertebrate Publishing (me and some other guy) were thinking of doing a classic walks in the Peak District book… you know the kind of stuff, 'follow the path downhill, watch out for tight berms at the top, and careful to pick a good line before the rocky section at the bottom, good stout boots essential'

hora
    Free Member

Haven't got the book(s)- in the car.

But my faves are:

Hope circuit
    Kinder circuit (my fave)

(I know one of those is in the dark peak- not sure which sorry!) Edit- Oops. In this case- the Hope Circuit

There are some fairly good descents brushed upon in this thread, but far better loops if you have local knowledge. I live in Darley Dale and could show you some pretty decent rides, but they are a bit hard to describe. What day are you thinking of riding?

nbt

hora – Member

Haven't got the book(s)- in the car.

But my faves are:

Hope circuit
    Kinder circuit (my fave)

(I know one of those is in the dark peak- not sure which sorry!) Edit- Oops. In this case- the Hope Circuit

Neither of which are in the white peak.

"the peak district" != hope valley

HeathenWoods
    Free Member

I heard Vertebrate Publishing (me and some other guy) were thinking of doing a classic walks in the Peak District book…

Lol. Do it! 😀

MidLifeCyclist
    Free Member

Linacre Classic

– good if it's been dry for some time – very quick – but not once it's rained. One of the downhill sections is brilliant – over a mile long of fast smooth singletrack riding – beware of horses though.

Cheers

hora
    Free Member

nbt, oops that is a big faux pas as they go 😆

si-wilson
    Free Member

over a mile long of fast smooth singletrack ridin

i am local to that area, but not sure where you mean?

nbt

I've only ridden it once but I know where he means, it's from that village at the north end of the loop. looks like it's through Cartledge Hall and Black Carr Lumb on the map?

hora
    Free Member

Conflicting views on Linacre classic- Its raining today and I was thinking of riding it tomorrow- best avoid or mostly ok?

racing_ralph
    Free Member

avoid it

hora
    Free Member

Ta Rob- other recommendations? I guess I could just do the Kinder Circuit again as thats pretty much all rocks/drainable.

I've heard Linacre's a bit bobbins in the wet

Neither of which are in the white peak.

"the peak district" != hope valley

Eh? The Peak District is the White and Dark Peak combined and the Dark Peak extends way beyond the Hope Valley. Or have I misunderstood what you are saying?

nbt

I mean that the the Hope valley does not contain the entire Peak District: rather, as you say, the Dark Peak alone is massive, then there's the white peak as well.

Not ridden Linacre in the wet, but have heard too that it's a sketchy. Jacob's ladder for me tomorrow as my bad back seems to be getting better

Spud

The Rowsley (I think) loop in the V-Graphics book is a good ride. And takes you past a few good pubs, depending on where you start any could be a good lunch spot. My choice would be the Devonshire Arms in Pilsley (sp) just the other side of Edensor. They have a room that's good flag floors for the mucky customers!

hora
    Free Member

nbt, wonder if I can talk binners into the Kinder circuit- should be 3hrs at a steady pace?

nbt

We're not out tomorrow, just got back from a trial ride and any hard work makes my jaw ache – must be the blood flow.

hora
    Free Member

nbt- we are going round calderdale tomorrow am- me and binnerbop, climb straight up from the turning circle to the top on the cobbles- turn right by the pub- straight down into blue pig- around down pecket well, curve back- cross the road this time- then down through the woods- over to riverbed then back. Not a long ride…your most welcome and its a shortish ride.

hora
    Free Member

corr blimey it is exactly how I remember it. I thought maybe I was viewing the frame with rose-tinted specs abit. First ride and you can tell its more than capable/a little bit special.

We could do with a longer ride next time chaps 😉

topangarider
    Free Member

Did the Linacre Classic after all today. Whilst it was muddy in places – there was only one bit that was unrideable (maybe 500m long)

Good day out – bloody warm for the time of year. Diverted to the Gate Inn (?) for a nice beef baguet and chips for lunch.

Top day out!

rumbledethumps
    Free Member

As stated a great ride can be had around calver. Also baslow edge is a good rip.

rumbledethumps
    Free Member

I purchased said book and did the Ashover route. Was dissapointed tbh. Whats the Dark Peak book like?

rumbledethumps
    Free Member

There is some good riding over the woods at the back of Rowsley (Darley Dale) too. Im sure some the stw peeps in here know about it.

HeathenWoods
    Free Member

I'm thinking of doing a special walk next week. Are these paths good for special walks?

nbt

must keep an eye on this, that bridleway is an excellent descent and I did wonder about taking a walk down those tracks myself – although more those round castletop farm

HeathenWoods
    Free Member

I may just do a recce round there anyway and take some photos so fellow special walkers can judge for themselves

I purchased said book and did the Ashover route. Was dissapointed tbh

What was up with it rumbledethumps? I've got both – just got the White Peak one having found some good stuff and been encouraged to explore the Dark Peak a bit more through the DP book.

Yes, very good Heathen, but you have to know where you're going to find the best ones.

We start at the White Lion at Starkholmes, go left out of the pub CP and then left again up a steep (very steep) road climb to Riber. As the road levels out at the top, turn right on to a farm track. Ride, erm walk past the farm and veer right up a rocky path to the highest point you can see, then descend on double track into the woods. Once in the trees look out for a left turn – if you get to a gate to a field you've gone too far.

Once you've veered left after 20yds, turn right on singletrack and follow your nose until you reach a wall and descend left until you emerge onto a bit of a plateau. You've now reached 'Brown Trousers'. Take the chute out of the trees through the bracken – speed is your friend and due to greasy grass brakes will hurt you. Get your weight back and hang on – hit the bottom of the hill at max speed and there's a nice little dip that you can fly off.

Follow the path through the trees and once in the open again climb right up a field and over a wall. Once oevr the wall go left and follow the path for a cracking descent through Bow woods, turning right then left at the two junctions you'll encounter.

Once at the bottom, you're close to the sewage works – turn right on the road and look out for a hidden left turn after a couple of hundred yards towards Cromford Canal. Cross the canal and turn right up the incline (old railway). After 500yds look for a gap in the wall and turn left into the woods. Climb for 3/4 of a mile and turn right on the path at the top of the hill. When you reach a T junction (highlighted for later reference), turn left to keep climbing and then go right through a wall. Follow your nose, but when you reach another wall, go through it and head upwards (slightly) and through two sets of gates. When you get to a kissing gate turn left and keep riding until you reach a fire rd then turn right.

When you reach a cross roads in the trail, turn left up a technical climb all the way to the trig point at the top of Black Rocks. Have a breather and take in the views and it's time to go back down. Re-trace your steps back down a lovely descent with some nice little kickers and back to the crossroads in the trail. Don't turn right (the way you came), but go straight ahead climbing slightly before another lovely little descent if done at speed. At a T junction, turn left and look for a finger post with a (yellow I think) marker and turn right onto singletrack.

Follow the wall, mostly veering right for another cracking descent until you reach another double track and turn right to climb for 200yds until you reach a point where you came up (in bold above) and turn left. Follow the track along the tree line and keep an eye out for a little jump in the trail (hand-built by kids) which is your marker to look for a rocky chute down to your left. Follow the track to the bottom and you come to the A6. Cross the road and through a stile and you're back at the sewage farm. Turn left along the canal back to Cromford.

Once you reach the visitor centre hit the drop-off on the wall if you have the balls, then turn right onto the road. Take your first left and climb back to the pub where you started – be sure to have a pint if you've used his CP though.

Sorry for the epic post, but it's a cracking route, however very cheeky and best done at quiet times (awaits flaming, but I'm sure anyone wanting to follow the route will be sensible for the sake of the rest of us).

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 53 total)

The topic ‘Recommended route in the White Peak please……’ is closed to new replies.