• This topic has 9 replies, 8 voices, and was last updated 7 years ago by rob2.
Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Recommended me some £500 road wheels
  • crashtestmonkey
    Free Member

Alloy braking surface, tubeless a nice not a need (might try it in future but generally meh about tubeless and none of my 7 bikes rely on jizz). Weight more important than aero (already got aero wheels and these will be spending time climbing big mountains). I’m ~65kg so likely to be well under any weight limits. Some flexibility to budget.

Mavic nice (eg Ksyrium Pro) but seem poor value and all proprietary parts (though if widely available less of an issue). Seen the superlight Julius AC21s (1300g, basically kinlin rims on bitex hubs, I can build wheels so happy to take ‘custom’ recommendations with specific parts).

Whatchya got?

SaxonRider

I don’t think this thread was an obvious answer to your question, but suspect you’ll find your question has been answered within the thread more than once.

mrblobby
    Free Member

Looking for much the same thing. Got a quote from DCR wheels for the DCR rim and premium hub combo, CXRay spokes, 20/24. Sub 1400g supposedly. 480 quid. Tempted.

For factory wheelset, still like the look of DT Swiss RR21 for a little over 500.

Or I might just build my own. Not sure what though. Maybe the new Pacenti Forza rim, not that light though.

Mavic nice (eg Ksyrium Pro) but seem poor value and all proprietary parts

Does put me off Mavic wheelsets.

davidtaylforth
    Free Member

Bitex hubs
    Ryde Pulse rims
    CX Ray spokes
    Alloy nipples

IANAWB

crashtestmonkey
    Free Member

Cheers Saxon, but it’s more of a skinwall w*nkfest 😉 .

Like the look of DCR, I think DaveT just listed the off-the-shelf spec of the build I was looking at.

mrblobby
    Free Member

Ryde Pulse…

Ryde Pulse

Sound pretty good, though the tight bead thing would concern me a little if I wasn’t running tubeless.

nerd
    Free Member

I built some superlight wheels (<1400g) for just under £200, with Kinlin XR19w rims, Mr Ride / Bitex hubs and Sapim Race / Laser spokes.
    You could use CX-Rays all round and better hubs, but the rims are good: 405grams with single eyelets.

rob2
    Free Member

Try the just riding along wheels. Pacenti rims and X-ray spokes for £380. About 1350g. I have a pair and they are super smooth

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)

The topic ‘Recommended me some £500 road wheels’ is closed to new replies.