Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 52 total)
  • Recommended Car tyres
  • mrmo
    Free Member

Been a while since i last bought some car tyres, and it seems the prices have gone up a bit! I am after a set of decent cheap tyres.

So who is cheap and what are the current recomended brands
    195/55/15 if it matters.

br
    Free Member

if all you are after is cheap, been black and round is handy 🙂

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

After all the “it’s your only contact with the road”, “it could be a child’s face next time”, etc etc scaremongering I bought uniroyal rain-experts. Then this happened within 500 miles.

And they’re the only tyre I’ve even managed to (accidentaly) skid on a dry corner at normal speeds.

So on that basis I’d buy either Prestivo Sport (what was garage I bought the car from put on it) which were fine and didn’t kill anyone, or Arrowspeed something or others that the missus has on her Fiesta, which again, haven’t kiled anyone.

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    mrmo
    Free Member

if all you are after is cheap, been black and round is handy

If all black round things are decent then fine, but are they?

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

If they’re in your area, these guys are ace;

http://www.bathwicktyres.co.uk/

jam-bo

prestivo seem ok to me. accidental damage warranty as well.

got a nail through one after 1000 miles and only paid 30% replacement cost.

BlindMelon
    Free Member

I’ve been running Hankook Ventus V12 for the past few sets and I’ve been very happy with them

hora
    Free Member

Vredsteins. If I can ever afford a decent car again I’m going to buy 4 of these. No mucking about. I had a Legacy with 4 of the Sportrac’s on and it was amazing.

On a budget- Kumho’s.

I also liked Fulda’s (German brand).

RustyMac
    CHB

Another vote for Kumho. Great tyres and every bit as good as Continental or Michelin that I normally use. Quite, good grip in rain and about 2/3 the price of the big EU made brands.

butcher

Kumho or Falken.

z1ppy

I went to a tyre place for a specifically recommended Kumho, ended up with a cheaper version (I should have complained but they were cheap and I was skint), they scared me silly… by all means get some but make sure they aren’t the cheapest budget version
    (use this theory with any brand TBH)

Northwind

BlindMelon – Member

I’ve been running Hankook Ventus V12 for the past few sets and I’ve been very happy with them

Quite impressed too, better than my Kumho Ecstas were (better grip despite being on a bigger, heavier, more powerful car), and quieter. We’ll see how the wear rate goes though.

stumpy01

Kumho, Vredestein and dare I say it, Matador…!

Yeah, I was a bit sceptical of Matador tyres, but ended up with a pair as I needed some fitted sharpish & it was all the local tyre place had that was reasonably priced. I got the mp44, and since then the mp46 which is the new version. They grip well in the wet & dry, seem to last for ages & are fairly quiet.
    I think that Matador are owned by Continental.

If you have a local garage who will fit tyres you supply then I recommend camskill (google it). The website is a little rubbish, but they are generally cheaper than other websites & delivery has always been prompt.

surroundedbyhills
    Free Member

Michelin, Kuhmo and Pirelli in that order for me, don’t know why Pirelli cost more the Kuhmo tbh…

kiwijohn

Toyo.

mchlptchr
    Free Member

+1 for Toyo tyres.

timc
    Free Member

put a set of Michelin PS3’s on Mine few months back, so far so good! 🙂

molgrips
    Free Member

Nokian. All their tyres are energy saving compounds. For me, improved fuel economy by about 10% over Dunlop Sport, and they look to be lasting twice as long as normal tyres. Grip is great, handling is better than the Dunlops too.

randomjeremy
    Free Member

I doubt there’s much harm in sticking a set of “ditch finders” on a runabout or motorway drudgemobile, but you’ll probably want to stick with the big brands if you have a a performance-oriented car. Or not, I don’t know, I guess all tires have to pass a minimum CE standard?

molgrips
    Free Member

I doubt there’s much harm in sticking a set of “ditch finders” on a runabout or motorway drudgemobile,

Until it’s wet and you need to stop in a hurry. I’d be a shame if your last thought was ‘bugger I wish I hadn’t skimped on tyres’

vorlich
    Free Member

Hmm.

I can’t recommend Kumhos personally. I got four and they were noticably poorer up front than the Primacys they replaced or the Contis which have now replaced them. Wearing OK on the rear. But grip was poor up front.

sadexpunk

im also looking for 2 new rears for my octavia. i did hear that they were cheaper if you ordered from blackcircles.com or something, and they still get fitted by the local dealer. is this right?

and any other alternatives to blackcircles?

cheers

molgrips
    Free Member

Just google for tyres. There’s mytyres.com, pneus online, and more.

molgrips
    Free Member

Do you now think that all uniroyal tyres are really really bad? Do you think that’s more likely than a manufacturing defect?

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

Do you now think that all uniroyal tyres are really really bad? Do you think that’s more likely than a manufacturing defect?

Uniroyal aren’t talking to me, well that’s what I’m assuming, it’s been a week and no reply. I’m giving it a week before I start randomly loging into motoring forums/facebook and posting that pic to see if that gains a quicker response.

molgrips
    Free Member

If they don’t reply to their emails, they probably aren’t monitoring the social internet!

FWIW every time I try and email a ‘traditional’ manufacturing or engineering company, it’s taken weeks. Michelin replied to me after about a month, by which time I’d found my answer independently.

If all uniroyal tyres did that, no-one would sell them because they’d be replacing them under warranty all the time. Plus I’m sure they would be prosecuted or something as not fit for purpose.

joeegg
    Free Member

I’ve got the Uniroyal Rain Expert tyres on my car and so far in 20,000 miles no problems and there’s probably a couple of thousand miles left.

wrightyson
    Free Member

As hora said, vreds are awesome, had 4 ultrac ssesantas on the scoob. Absolute phenomenal grip, had it on three wheels a coupla times 😕

Markie
    Free Member

Continental here. Wearing well, feel good.

molgrips
    Free Member

10k miles on my nokians, about 10% gone!

catsplums
    Free Member

I’ve just done about 1000 miles on some toyo 1cs tires and like them very much, a lot better feel than the falkens they have replaced.

porter_jamie

michelin all the way here. they do last a long time, and also grip when it rains, which is nice. i run an older car with non fashionable small sizes, which helps with the cost.

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

If they don’t reply to their emails, they probably aren’t monitoring the social internet!

Within about 10min of posting those pics to their facebook I got a response 🙂

OK the response was that they’d forewarded them onto customer services, who I’d original e-mailed, but it’s a response.

globalti
    Free Member

In this day and age any independent fitter will match an internet price.

In the Bury area I strongly recommend Ainsworth Road garage, 0161 723 2793, ask for Chris or Hedley Hill. Very good and very competitive.

mrmo
    Free Member

bug

TurnerGuy
    Free Member

Martin’s near Woking in Surrey were cheaper than the internet mail order guys last time, and that included fitting.

martins reviews

They put two new tyres on and did a back-to-front swap with the other two tyres in about 12 minutes. I felt like I had my own Formula1 pit crew!

JohnnyPanic

Last November I put a pair of Conti Premium Contacts on the front of my focus diesel at 51k. They’re quiet and handle well but we’re now at 60.7k and down to 3mm. Not impressed. The prevoius set of budget Wanlis lasted 23k but were noisy.

captain-slow
    Free Member

Love Toyos, but they’re no longer a budget tyre (this is not a criticism). Also have good experience with Yokohamas, Bridgestones and Goodyears. Suspect match between vehicle, driving style and budget is key.

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 52 total)

The topic ‘Recommended Car tyres’ is closed to new replies.