Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 25 total)
  • Recommended brake pads?
  • prezet
    Free Member

Need to replace the pads in my 2012 SLX’s – not sure what to go for, a couple of friends have suggested Superstars… any others worth considering?

headpotdog
    Free Member

Ashima?

MTB-Rob
    Free Member

EBC
    Clark
    A2Z
    BBB

You might find you are limited to makes that have been quick to produce the correct shape.

carlosg
    Free Member

I got some semi metallic pads off ebay (disco-brakes) 4 pairs for 17.99 , I’m quite suprised at how good they seem to be in my Tech X2’s as I bought them cheap due to being skint.

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

Personally brake pads is one area I will not skimp – riginals or from a reputable manufacturer with a track record in disc brakes. EBC, carbon lorraine, Goodridge etc

I will not buy from cheapo manufacturers – a false economy IMO

perthmtb
    Free Member

Have I missed something here? What’s wrong with the Shimano ones?

Taff
    Free Member

Superstar brake pads are fine. Cheap and last well

Northwind

Superstar kevlar for me- far cheaper than Shimano and work better. Don’t last quite as long as the sintered ones but still a good lifestyle

(and before someone inevitably brings up the old saw about the friction material falling off- I’ve had that with Shimano OEM, never with Superstar)

TandemJeremy – Member

or from a reputable manufacturer with a track record in disc brakes. EBC, carbon lorraine, Goodridge etc

Hands up anyone else who knows which of these companies makes superstar pads 😉

coolhandluke
    Free Member

I like A2Z brake pads.

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

Northwind – I know what he claims and I also know its bollox

they may be made in the same factory ( but actually I doubt it) but SS pads are not the same. I think he has stopped claiming this now anyway.

deviant
    Free Member

This wont be a popular answer on this forum but….i recently replaced the pads in my Shimano brakes with Superstar organic/soft compound and they are great….i hate their discs though, they come up much thicker than OE items and wont fit through my calipers so i just run Shimano calipers and discs with Superstar pads now….works a treat.

Northwind

TandemJeremy – Member

Northwind – I know what he claims and I also know its bollox

Have you asked the manufacturers? I have… (I don’t trust him as far as I can throw him so I thought I’d get a bit of independant verification)

prezet
    Free Member

Hands up anyone else who knows which of these companies makes superstar pads

Who, who who?? 🙂

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

Did you northwind? the other manufacturers said his were the same? Or made in the same factory?

I simply do not see other manufacturers allowing SS to sell the same stuff cheaper –

Northwind

They’re not the same pads. But I emailed CL a copy of the email he’d sent me and more or less asked “Is this legit or do you want to unlease the lawyers” and they confirmed that they do make them (among others- you can buy the exact same pad with different brands on of course).

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

Northwind – sorry no understand – are they the same pads or not?

do I take it they are made in the same factory but are not the same pad?

prezet
    Free Member

Thanks anyway – for a tenner I’m going to try some SS organics – if they turn out to be crap then I haven’t really lost much compared to buying shimano at £30!

Northwind

TandemJeremy – Member

Northwind – sorry no understand – are they the same pads or not?

Northwind – Member

They’re not the same pads.

Same factory- don’t know. Made by, is all they said. So they are

TandemJeremy – Member
    from a reputable manufacturer with a track record in disc brakes.

bm0p700f
    Free Member

What is the best pads is so subjective. I perosnlly use EBC or A2Z pads and like them. Becuase I trust them and I know what I am getting I do not buy anything else.

perthmtb
    Free Member

Thanks anyway – for a tenner I’m going to try some SS organics – if they turn out to be crap then I haven’t really lost much compared to buying shimano at £30!

You should try shopping around a bit – I just bought some genuine Shimano pads for my 2012 SLX for six quid off a German site.

mrbump
    Free Member

superstar sintered. 4 pairs for around £20.

bigjim

I’ve tried some Clarks organic pads after having superstar ones delaminate at speed. They seem fine but the metal spring was badly made, the hole for the securing pin was drilled in the wrong place so have had to use an old superstar spring. Shame as the Clarks spring was much stiffer and springier than the superstar one.

Sandwich

EBC here or manufacturers own. My mechanical skills wouldn’t be suitable for installing Superstar ones (no NVQ level 4 for instance). 8)

rootes1

i have been using the SOS ashima ones.. work well and have lasted but are noisy..

i hav ejust ordered some of the basic resin clarks pads to try out.. these are very cheap on CRC at the moment..

was tempted by the swisstops for 5x times the price, but based only on how great their road pads are..

relliott6879
    Free Member

I always replace with EBC Greenstuff when the orginals wear out, whether I’m buying for bike or car. Nice bite, good wear and they don’t seem prone to squealing. Cheaper than Shimano too, which is a nice added bonus.

Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 25 total)

The topic ‘Recommended brake pads?’ is closed to new replies.