• This topic has 11 replies, 6 voices, and was last updated 12 years ago by fbk.
Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • Recommendations please: Campsites in Scotland/Borders, Novice Friendly
  • fbk
    Free Member

We’re off camping for a week in Mid July. We start in Innerliethen for the Gravity Enduro and finish in Fort Bill to do the 3 peaks. The original plan was to head up to the Highlands for a few days but the threat of midges is just too grim.

This is the first time my other half’s been camping in a while so I want it to be good! We’ve just got a nice big tent and I’m looking for a couple of places to stay with good walking/riding around and reasonable facilities. Great Langdale is a possibility but it seems a shame to come back so far South, only to head up again later.

Any suggestions greatly appreciated.

Trekster

Dumfries and Galloway is often ignored in favour of the Highlands, try this;
    Take in a Stane and walk the Galloway hills
    Campsites
    7Stanes, follow links to accom, camping

fbk
    Free Member

Thanks Trekster – some good links there. Have you stayed at any of the sites?

Maybe a trip to Drumlanrig would be in order – I love it there 🙂

geoffj

There’ll be midges in D&G too, but they may not be as bad as the nw coast. Loch Ken or Kippford are worth a look though.

Glenmore or Rothiemurchus could almost be on your way to Fortwilliam and would be excellent bases.

fbk
    Free Member

Geoffj – Rothiemurchus was in the original plan but surely the midges will be as bad as anywhere there?

geoffj

fbk – not as bad as the west coast ime. Glenmore is better still, as their are more open pitches, you can be further from the water and it’s a little higher (300m+) which helps a bit.

Parr
    Free Member

Whatever you do, don’t camp at Glen Nevis in Fort Bill, it’s midge heaven, as well as having a very over zealous warden, try Loch Linnie campsite, just outside Fort Bill.
    Tweedside at Inners is also quite good

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

I thought Rothimurcus was bad for midges?

fbk
    Free Member

Hmm, I guess you just need to be “lucky” with the weather etc more than actual position. Maybe I’ll stay South a bit..

Thanks for the info guys.

meribelmtb
    Free Member

Try http://www.marthrownofmabie.com/ in Mabie forest. Brilliant campsite, very, erm, rustic.

The campsite is right in the woods so sheltered from the wind. The owners are really friendly it’s got a wood powered sauna and hottub, bikewash and two minutes ride down a fireroad to the trailhead. Who could ask for more?

Trekster

fbk – Member
    Thanks Trekster – some good links there. Have you stayed at any of the sites?

Yes, Sandyhills nr Dalbeattie and not far from Mabie. Can do some pics if you like?
    Lots of people use Kipford which is the biggest site in the Dalbeattie area, again just across the road from the forest. There are 2 good pubs/restruants down the road in the village and some sailing to watch if the tide is in. Lots of walks in the area as well.
    Beeswing is smaller, possibly less well serviced but I have heardgood things from those who have stayed there.
    Marthrown of Mabie and Mabie House hotel take limited numbers of campers but not sure on the arrangement re facilities
    There are Pods at Sandyhills,Mabie and Gorsebank if the weather turns less favourable for camping;
    like this
    I live in Dumfries btw, my local area/trails.

If you do not want to travel so far west there is also;
    Beattock with lots of good walks around Moffat. Not far from Ae, Mabie and Drumlanrigg

fbk
    Free Member

Trekster – that’s great. Thanks very much for the info.

I’m still undecided whether to risk the Highlands or stay down South – I’ve been round Mabie/Dalbeatie a fair bit and, as we’ve got to get up to Fort Bill anyway, it would be nice to spend a bit of time up there. I think we’ll probably spend a couple of nights at one of the sites you’ve listed though – cheers.

meribelmtb – sounds interesting too. Hmm 🙂

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)

The topic ‘Recommendations please: Campsites in Scotland/Borders, Novice Friendly’ is closed to new replies.