Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Recommendations for wild-ish loch side camping in Trossachs/Stirling area?
  • big_scot_nanny

Hi All,

Bit of a long shot, but me and 3 old mates (in both senses of the word old) are planning a weekend away from it all (early May), camping, drinking, eating burned meat and with a bit of hiking and fishing thrown in for good measure. (Sadly they are not bikers)

We will be heading by car, then parking up, disgorging kit and hopefully a short walk to appropriate camping spot with proximity to hike-able hills and loch for fishing, likely 3-4 days.

Currently fixated on Loch Chon, but completely open to other suggestions. Any ideas from you good folks?

Ta muchly!

matt_outandabout

The semi wild site on the shore of Lubnaig – loos in daylight hours, BBQ and flat pitch….

Cost a couple of quid, but the other spots I would suggest are away from roads or likely to be a queue to use or full of crap from previous campers or sensitive enough for me not to share on the Internet…..

anagallis_arvensis

Barrisdale on Knoydart

matt_outandabout

Apologies if my reply before was somewhat arrogant.

Car camping around the Trossachs, and elsewhere, is a massive headache, as I am sure you know. It is also over popular, therefore so many hundreds of spots that were quiet and useful are now full of drunk muppets with no regard for environment or local community. Half of Glasgow, Dundee, Falkirk and Edinburgh car camp in the Trossachs this time of year onwards. Massive overcrowding.

Going on a proper walk from the car or train, or heading further north is the realistic option. As anagallis_arvensis suggests, go further north and more remote – or think laterally – such as a ferry ride or heading south.

There are also some fab ‘semi wild’ sites, that allow fires etc, and support a local business with a couple of much needed pounds.

big_scot_nanny

Great food for thought, thanks guys. Matt – no worries!

I didn’t relaise what we were planning was such a cliche 🙂

Will have a look at other locations, we are slightly time constrained as we meet in Glasgow on Thursday from different parts of UK and Europe, then all have to get home on Sunday.

If there are other suggestions I’d love to hear them, or if you’d rather email me please see my profile. Delighted with either!

Will of course report back!

Nobeerinthefridge
    Free Member

Far more remote feeling – head to the north end of Galloway forest park, the area around merrick to loch Doon. Absolutely endless fire roads to access hills and loads of Wee hill lochs reeming full of wild brownies. Email in profile if you want any more info. It’s a stunning area, very quiet and not far from (relative) civilisation.

big_scot_nanny

Folks, just as a wee update, we’re heading to Lubnaig. Many thanks for the tips.

For this trip, its jsut too far to get up north or west, but next time! (and instead of flying to glasgow I’ll fly to Inverness)

Also, for a hoot, I’m renting a packraft from Backcountrybikes – should be a (wet) laugh!

Kev

Northwind

Loch Lubnaig is pretty decent for this tbh. It’s not “wild camping” but it’s a good mix and a nice loch. I think I’d have done the south side of loch earn, somewhere between ardvorlich and st fillans where the road gets closer to the shore- it can be a little busy but it never feels crowded just because it’s lots of little beaches and spots rather than a big continuous one, and the access takes a little effort. (north side is really busy)

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

The topic ‘Recommendations for wild-ish loch side camping in Trossachs/Stirling area?’ is closed to new replies.