Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • Recommendations for Mountain Bike Holiday in the Alps
  • beinbhan

Step son (23) wants a holiday in the alps in Aug anyone recommend any companies. He has done some mountain biking in scotland but not a lot Saying that, he has hammered down the glentress red and black routes on a pretty shit trek hard tail so he can handle a bike (skateboarding background and the arrogance of youth) he would hire bike out there. Any recommendations

jambalaya
    Free Member

By 23 I’d been organising my own holidays for nearly 10 years. There must be dozens of threads on here either you or he could search.

tomhoward

At 23 I’d organised a holiday for me and 3 other adults in whistler….

You can’t really go wrong in morzine or les gets, start there.

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    foofighter
    Free Member

Check out trailaddiction in Les Arcs – just come back from popping my Alpine Cherry and it was fab

nickjb
    Free Member

2nd Morzine as a good place to start. Can’t really go wrong there.

Pawsy_Bear
    Free Member

Been with these very good

http://www.singletracksafari.com/

bobbyatwork
    Free Member

Italy was great a few weeks ago… 2 companies Molini and riviera freeride who I went with… Awesome area and fab riding… Not at all sanitised

DavidB
    Free Member

At 23 i’d mostly been c–ted on alcohol for years and done nothing.

Google the White Room Chalet

mikewsmith
    Free Member

+1 for the white room, Morzine can just be a DH nightmare if you get the wrong crowd.

Whoever you book with ask plenty of questions of the guys to see if it’s going to be right for you and who else is booked in for that week and what they have planned. White room do an alpine first timers trips also so maybe worth a look.

Vids of my trip in my profile (vimeo link)

qwackers
    Free Member

Lake Garda! I’ve done Les Gets/Morzine (MTB Blackpool), Verbier, Pila, Finale Ligure, Vipiteno, Como, Garda, one in Germany I can’t remember.

Garda wins, Verbier/Finale a close second, Pila is good.

I’m off to Garda in September with the club, some places spare

http://bit.ly/SkiuGx

Trekster

This ^^^^^^^^^
    If I had not already booked(just home)a holiday in the Alps I would have gone on this.
    Skip the French Alps, go straight to BikeVerbier.
    Although I enjoyed the holiday I have just returned from the lift assisted descents in Les Gets/Morzine/Chattel area did not float my boat. The singletrack stuff we did however was ace 😆
    The BV holiday is still the best biking holiday I have ever had 😆
    All depends what he wants to do?

mikewsmith
    Free Member

Morzine area can be a bit like Brits on Tour of you don’t get way off piste. Which also means it’s good if you don’t want to think or bother with a guide.

Did it for a few years and have now seen the light. Also the arrogance of youth and suddenly being on a bigger bike normally leads to a trip to Thonon hospital and a massive bill in Morzine.

Plenty of better singletrack in the Alps still (and within reach of Geneva)

As above Tartainese area (les arcs and all round the resort) is great but guiding (and a man with van to get to the other bits) makes all the difference.

forge197
    Free Member

Knowing the off piste and mixing it up with some of the regular trails is key to alps singletrack in the portes du soliel I have a 30ish mile loop which is a mix of on and off piste singletrack, double track two quiet dh runs but doable on 140mm bike.

Oddly over is Switzerland I overtook three dhillers as they were not running wet screams and had stalled on the gnarr muddy descent 😆

Having been here 6 times now and we have a guide for a couple days we have some pretty nice routes.

That said the advice above is sound I can imagine it would be easy to end up fully DH orientated and thrash the runs in Lets Get, the Pleny and Chatel there is more here than that, but do a search as this is asked alot this time of year, we only used an all in company our first year and since then solo with a guide for a couple of days as we see fit.

Have fun and be safe never seen so many air ambulances and riders in slings than this year….. The slippy condition last week didn’t help, and it hammered with rain last night so suspect a busy day in Thonon

Munqe-chick
    Free Member

Morzine/Les Gets is great as a starting point as a huge mix of trails, I have never been with an organised company there as if you are going with a bunch of mates, you don’t need to as it’s all mapped and easy to find.

this year went with Bike Verbier, phenomenal place, awesome riding, food divine, Lucy, Phil, Ady and Sam the guides are brilliant people. Definately worth the money.

Other companies friends have been with and would recommend are Riveria Bike and Switchbacks in Spain.

looneylunn
    Free Member

I’ve just got back from a week with The Mountain Bike Chalet in Les Arcs. I can’t Recommend them highly enough. The people are amazing and make you feel at home and they cater for all abilities. Great value to boot! It was like riding with mates in a world class place.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)

The topic ‘Recommendations for Mountain Bike Holiday in the Alps’ is closed to new replies.