Viewing 23 posts - 1 through 23 (of 23 total)
  • Recommendations for Lakes campsites or hostels.
  • stevenmenmuir
    Free Member

Planning a trip to the Lakes and looking for a good campsite or hostel. Would be great to have a weekends great riding on the doorstep and a good pub or two within stumbling distance.

verses

We stayed here last year; http://www.hawkshead-croft.co.uk/

My only grumble is that if you’re up and about early there’s nowhere to get breakfast.

On the plus side, it’s a 2min stumble into the village, and not that far from Grizedale.

stilltortoise
    Free Member

Ever been before? There really is no shortage of riding and accommodation, but it can get booked in the popular months. Hawkshead, Ambleside, Grasmere and Elterwater are all good bases and all will have pubs within stumbling distance. Tweedies Bar (attached to the Dale Lodge Hotel) in Grasmere does a fine selection of real ales, fantastic food and often live music at the weekend.

At the other end you can’t go wrong staying in and around Keswick. Some classic excursions literally on your doorstep and Whinlatter is not far away if you want a trail centre fix.

If you’re thinking of going at this time of year I (personally) would not camp. Treat yourself to a hostel or cheap B & B. The YHA at Hawkshead is in a lovely setting.

It’s all great 😀

jekkyl

Lanefoot Farm
    Thornthwaite
    Keswick
    Cumbria
    CA12 5RZ
    Tel: 01768 778097

It’s right at the foot of whinlatter, you can cycle there within minutes. They allow single sex groups and they positively encourage real fires as the bloke comes round selling logs to put on them. When we stayed there the place was filled with MTBers.

stevenmenmuir
    Free Member

I like the idea of real ales and music and being fairly central. I’ve been to Whinlatter before and not desperate to go back. We’ve stayed in Great Langdale before a couple of times so just looking to stay somewhere different. We are going in Easter so should be fine camping.

luddite
    Free Member

Keswick +1
    In the sumner you can’t beat the Camping & Caravan Club site for location but at this time of year the location means you’d probably need a snorkel.

Nobeerinthefridge
    Free Member

Steven, the YHA at both Ambleside and grasmere are excellent, well positioned for pubs and have heaps of riding nearby. If you don’t know the lakes too well, I’d stick to the south lakes, as there is a higher concentration of good riding.

Someone will disagree fairly shortly though!.

jekkyl

Windermere & Ambleside all very nice if you’re a granny on a day trip. The only 2 legally cycleable mountains are in the North.

Simon

Stopped at the youth hostel in Hawkshead last autumn, good riding from the door and a short stumble to the pub but they sell beer at the YHA too 🙂

ChrisI

Another vote for Lanefoot, they have underfloor heating in the showers 😀

bullroar
    Free Member

Chapel House Farm at Rosthwaite in Borrowdale. Lovely setting a bit basic but has what you need.

Conveniently located for “The Bash” and access to the high fells. Walking distance to a couple of pubs and guaranteed early morning call, they collect the rent about 8 am.

Nobeerinthefridge
    Free Member

Both Steven and myself are scots, Jekyll, so your ‘legal’ nonsense doesn’t count for us! You stick to your bridle ways… 😀

maximusmountain
    Free Member

1 vote for keswick YHA, lovely rooms, nice hostel.

I would avoid the Lanefoot farm campsite at all costs, I camped there once and at the first sight of rain we had to sleep in the car because our tent added another lake to the district, not a well draining field at all.

lowey

Lanefoot is good, but a shlep into Keswick though

Coniston Old Hall is Ace… never turn you away and 5 mins ride into Coniston with loads of Ale. Gets a bit rowdy though.

stevenmenmuir
    Free Member

I’m not fussed for getting to the top of hills if I wanted to do that I’d head north. I’ve been looking in the VP guide book and the rides that have caught my eye are more to the south of Ambleside. But if its too wet to ride and I want to grab a granny at least I know where to look.

Nobeerinthefridge
    Free Member

😀

slowoldman

Has anyone stayed at Side Farm, Patterdale? I’ve heard good things about it.

jekkyl

@nobeer gettafer ya bassar 😀 lol

stevenmenmuir
    Free Member

Have we met nobeer?

Trekster

http://www.amblesidehostel.co.uk
    The Ambleside yha is also goog, big’ busy.
    A wee visit to Biketreks for some route info 😆

Nobeerinthefridge
    Free Member

Have we met nobeer?

Don’t think so buddy, I just take a mental note of who is one of gods chosen few on here, as opposed to the other lot down there!. 😀

stevenmenmuir
    Free Member

😀

danielgroves
    Free Member

Gillside in Glenridding is a good site. Simple, but well maintained and right at the foot of Helvellyn.

Viewing 23 posts - 1 through 23 (of 23 total)

The topic ‘Recommendations for Lakes campsites or hostels.’ is closed to new replies.