Viewing 34 posts - 1 through 34 (of 34 total)
  • Recommendations for decent ¾ Bibs
  • fathomer

As above really, after a decent pair to replace some cheap DHB waist ones that are starting to show their age.

They’ll be used on both the MTB and Road for Autum/Spring (maybe warm ish Winter) rides. The only thing I’ll rule out are DHB, they have the stupid red tag that sits on the small of your back and irritates the life out of me!

Budget is about £75, but the cheaper the better.

Thanks 😀

VanMan
    Free Member

Might want to have a look at Endura FS260’s but as these are the only ones I have tried my recommendation might not mean much!

warns74
    Free Member

The “Gore Power 2.0” range of bibs is superb IMO. Bit pricey but 20% off at Evans at the moment brings it to about 75

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    lazybike
    Free Member

The only thing I’ll rule out are DHB, they have the stupid red tag that sits on the small of your back and irritates the life out of me!

Base layer or a pair of scissors…. 🙂

Phil_H

Another vote for the Endura FS260 3/4s here.

fathomer

Thanks for the suggestions so far, I’ve been eyeing the Endura MT500’s, so the FS260 recommendation bodes well.

lazybike – Member
    Base layer or a pair of scissors….

Base layer not always needed and the red tag is well and truly stitched in, so much so that I rekon I’d end up with a hole in my £60 shorts!

Gary_M
    Free Member

agree with the tag, I’ve cut mine off as close as it can go and its still annoying. Why put a tag there?

Anywat castelli are the best 3/4 bibs I’ve used, can’t remember which ones but there a million times better than the dhb ones.

portlyone
    willstaffs
    Free Member

I have normal Morvelo Bib Shorts and they are fantastic, quite fancy a pair of these:

http://www.morvelo.com/eroica-thermoactive-cycling-shorts.html

lazybike
    Free Member

These limited sizes though…

ti_pin_man
    Free Member

endura thermolites for winter here.

mooman
    Free Member

Get a pair of knee warmers. Cheaper/easier option.

messiah
    Free Member

Lusso

Cheap from Parker

Superficial
    Free Member

I’m going to have a look at my DHB ones, to see if they’ve got this irritating tag. Suffice it to say I haven’t noticed. They’re lasting well, fit is great. I’ve got a few bibs and the DHB ones are the best.

scaredypants

The ones Messiah linked are quite nice, but pretty thin – you could definitely lose your bearings in ’em if it was cold

D0NK

was going to start a very similar thread so may just hijack this one. Anyone got padless thermal 3/4 bib recommendations?

If not what’s it like wearing padded shorts and padded bibs?

I want mine for commute use so that’ll be 4 pairs of shorts and 1 set of bibs to last me a week – aint buying four sets of £60+ bibs. Currently using knee warmers but want dedicated pants for the job.

DHB seem to do every combination except 3/4 unpadded bib grrr

monkfish
    Free Member

I’ve got a pair of the Castelli Velocissimo 3/4 tights and they are excellent. The pad is much more comfortable than the dhb bib shorts I have. They do cost £85 so a bit over your Budget but IMO well worth it.

I prefer them over shorts and leg warmers

cr500dom
    Free Member

I have some Shutt VR ones and they are super comfy

gee
    Free Member

Castelli Sorpasso – lovely and warm and they fit well.

GB

velofly
    Free Member

Very impressed with the FS260s so far.

Superficial
    Free Member

If not what’s it like wearing padded shorts and padded bibs?

I sometimes do that. It’s OK. It’s not uncomfortable. Just feels kinda squishy but once you’re sat down it’s fine.

legend
    Free Member

mooman – Member
    Get a pair of knee warmers. Cheaper/easier option.
    POSTED 3 HOURS AGO # REPORT-POST

Sort of agree, good for commuting when it might be warmer later on. The issue I have is that you end up with warm legs but a cold crotch

mooman
    Free Member

You can get thicker material bib shorts. I have assos T.607 bib shorts that when worn with knee warmers or leg warmers are ok for any cold ride.

fathomer

Thanks for all the recommendations. Think I’m going to order some FS260’s and maybe some MT500’s as well to see which I prefer.

Can anyone shed some light on sizing? I’m 6′ with a 33″ ish waist. My DHB bibs shorts & tights are a large and the Endura under shorts, are a large but to big really (well the fit is generally awful).

ti_pin_man
    Free Member

I found Large generous (as about 33 inch jean waist), next time I’ll order mediums but have slimmed myself down to a 30/31 waist- yay!

adsh
    Free Member

I too am 6′ and got the large fs260. They’re ok but the legs are quite short so they pull up from the calves which means they are rather loose just below the knee. I got mine 2 years ago amd have done a lot in them. Now the stitching in the crotch has let go meaning there’s a big hole. They’re ok but I’d rather do better and knee warmers for next time.

theflatboy
    Free Member

I used to have some Endura ones that were lovely, lasted ages and super comfy. Eventually they died so I replaced them with the latest Endura ones. Absoutely atrocious, fit couldn’t be worse, horrible material and feel generally cheap and crap. I’m about to get some dhbs to replace them with now the weather’s getting colder.

mogrim

Been using some Specialized 3/4s for the last couple of years, very comfy and excellent vfm.

kcal

Have a very old pair of Endura FSs, and a newer pair – maybe couple years old. To be honest didn’t notice too much in fit difference — maybe the change came in after?

30″ waist, 5′ 9″ on a good day, size Large is good fit for me. But something warmer for autumn would be good, otherwise it’s on with the full winter bib longs with front panels..

neilm
    Free Member

I like Pearl Izumi Attack 3/4’s.

I’ve got a couple of pairs and use them mainly for road riding.

mos

I’ve just got a set of Endura Thermolite 3/4’s and i can confirm that the insert is AWFUL. its like sitting on 4 slices of bread, ok for 30 seconds then just an uncomfortable mush folded up yer jacksie & under yer baws.

kcal

Having said that, still have my MT500s shorts, going strong, padding probably ain’t up to much these days but bomb-proof material.

theflatboy
    Free Member

dhbs are in Wiggle now in double packs. Reckon that’s a bargain worth going for – decent price and stocked up for a while.

jambalaya
    Free Member

I have an old pair of Endura Thermolite tights are they are far too warm for Spring / Winter. Only use them when there is frost on the ground.

Viewing 34 posts - 1 through 34 (of 34 total)

The topic ‘Recommendations for decent ¾ Bibs’ is closed to new replies.