Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)
  • Recommendations for a post ride pub in the Surrey Hills please
  • superlightweight
    Free Member

Anyone got any recommendations for a good family friendly pub in the surrey hills? Planning a (road) ride next Sunday with mates then meeting the respective families in a pub somewhere for lunch. Somewhere with indoor/outdoor play area for the kids would be good too!

bfebikerchap
    Free Member

Adam? Gav?

superlightweight
    Free Member

Hello Matt! Did wonder if any of you were on here, its adam. Thought I’d do some research, got any recommendations 😆 😆

bfebikerchap
    Free Member

That’s funny! I thought it an unlikely coincidental question.

jambalaya
    Free Member

Outdoor play area in November 😉

Can’t help with play area as mine are very grown up

skaifan
    Free Member

Percy Arms in chilworth? They have an outdoor play area.

theotherjonv

Not a bad shout, big multi-roast carvery on sunday so busy / you’ll need to book.

There’s two in Shere, the William Bray and the White Horse, both are kid friendly but not sure on play areas (WH is a Chef and Brewer so might have). A few here rate the WB, when I went food was fabulous but service / speed was poor, maybe a factor with kids. But Shere’s a nice place and if you bring wellies you might be able to paddle in the river / feed ducks and stuff, and there’s a play area in the recreation ground a short (200m) walk from the pub.

kilo

There’s a few pubs on the main road near Gomshall, near shere, always seem to be lots of kids playing on th green / in the stream. No idea if the pubs are any good. The Stephan Langton is right in Friday street near the pond and woods but it may have gone a bit gastro since we were last there.

deadkenny
    Free Member

Gomshall Mill has outdoor garden with play area. Has a river running through it and water wheel in the building. Fancy but nice.

New owners at Royal Oak in Holmbury are aiming at post ride types apparently after their recent refurb. Not sure on play area but has a beer garden.

superlightweight
    Free Member

Thanks for all the replies, was originally thinking Shere so will investigate further the suggestions for Shere, Gomshall and Holmbury…

suburbanreuben
    Free Member

The Plough in Coldharbour has changed hands earlier in the year. The local Ales are now spot on! Chatting with the Landlord, he mentioned his dream was to run a pub that just served beer and pies! He may have white wine for the lady, but grudgingly…

bfebikerchap
    Free Member

What’s the Abinger Hatch like these days? Anyone know?

mattjg
    Free Member

> What’s the Abinger Hatch like these days? Anyone know?

Bloody good. There is a small playground opposite, to the left of the church. And a big green to wear ’em out. And the Hatch’s garden is a fair size too.

See also
    The Plough, Coldharbour
    Stephan Langton, Friday Street
    Royal Oak, Abinger Common (also recently reopened).

But if you need flat green space for the kidlings, Hatch wins.

jambalaya
    Free Member

OP William Bray is one of my favourites and village centre is pretty, Church used in Bridget Jones wedding scene and village in The Holiday. Food decent, bit more restauranty and you’ll need to book at the weekend. I didn’t recommend it as no play ground

deviant
    Free Member

There’s loads, you’re practically in London…only have to put up with the ‘Daahling’ types waffling on too loudly about whatever nonsense first world problem they’ve got…couldn’t wait to leave the area myself.

Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)

The topic ‘Recommendations for a post ride pub in the Surrey Hills please’ is closed to new replies.