Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • Recommendations for a lightly used second hand family car?
  • JollyGreenGiant
    Free Member

I will need to buy a newish family car in the next 2 weeks with my car allowance.

It will cover 25k miles a year,carry a family of 4,be suitable for.business.use and be decent to drive.

Budget is 10-12k.Company car allowance stipulates cars less than 4 years old and less than 100k miles.

Obviously this being STW the default Mondeo is on the list of prime contenders, but not sure I need a car that vast.

I was also considering Seat Leon,Mk3 focus,Golf ,Astra or Honda Civic.

Due to mileage I’m leaning towards diesel and I want a hatch.

I will probably only keep it for a year or so.

Thoughts from owners of any.of the above much appreciated.

plus-one

VW would get my vote(on my 2nd) out of all the Marques I’ve owned over the years the vw’s have been most reliable and servicing is reasonable too..

Seat is good buy too 🙂

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

C-max, actualy shorter than a focus estate, but with a similar sized boot.

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    monkeysfeet
    Free Member

Skoda Yeti

http://www.autotrader.co.uk/search/used/cars/skoda/yeti

Loads within budget, great family car.

cookeaa

VW Wouldn’t get my vote any more I’ve had a couple (Currently still driving a Mk4 Golf as my get about vehicle) I’ve driven some of the more recent Passats and Golfs as company rentals…

If I was Buying a VAG group car and looking for VFM I’d look at SEAT first, the newer VW models have been exercises in cost reduction, and the seating is bloody uncomfortable, don’t know why but I cannot get comfortable in a “Modern” VW, and they are not reasonable on parts pricing they are a mid-range marque with idea’s above their station…

TBH as Ubiquitous as Fords might be, they aren’t actually bad cars, and with commonality comes more competitive pricing…

Focus or C-max…

All IMO etc, etc…

JollyGreenGiant
    Free Member

I must admit it is hard to look beyond the mondeo.Loads of space,good engines,decent to drive and seems to have a good reliability record.
    I like the Focus having had a mk 1 and mk2 but they were petrol and the treports of dpf issues on the diesel are putting me off.I have read that the mk 3 uses a different type of dpf but not sure on this.
    Of course some of these aresues apply to VW as well.
    If I went for the Leon or Focus I reasoned that I might be able to get a newercar on which these issues wouldnt be so likely to concern.

br
    Free Member

It will cover 25k miles a year,carry a family of 4,be suitable for.business.use and be decent to drive.

Budget is 10-12k.Company car allowance stipulates cars less than 4 years old and less than 100k miles.

Due to mileage I’m leaning towards diesel and I want a hatch.

I will probably only keep it for a year or so.

Is that 4 y/o at purchase, or can never be more than 4 y/o?

And based on you saying you’ll be getting rid in 25k/1yr then you need to focus on the ability to sell and depreciation just as much as fuel/running costs.

tbh I’d look at spending the least amount of money, to get the features you want.

And as I like bigger cars, then Vectra/Mondeo/Passet/Avensis etc in decent diesel with a reasonable trim – plus since I drive auto, I’d buy an auto.

hebdencyclist
    Free Member

Mondeos are very good value used. And the diesels are bombproof. I have the 2.2 TDCI and it’s fast as anything and very economical. I’m going to keep mine until it falls to bits, then get another.

Netdonkey

3 year old Merc C220d estate. Prices are about to drop due to new shape, v comfortable for 25k a year. Can get 2 bikes in the boot with wheels off and still close the boot cover…

kcal

should manage a 3-4 yo Octavia TDI hatch easily.

JollyGreenGiant
    Free Member

Yes the idea will be to buy a 1-2 year old then keep it for a year or so.
    Hebden cyclist what mpg do you get from the 2.2?
    Liking the c 220d estate suggestion but not sure it will be within budget seeing as similar spec and vintage 3 series touring are at least 15k but will research.I looked at Octavias but they seem pricey and mainly 1.6s at this age.

smurf
    Free Member

I’m liking my S Max. It’s got the 2.2d engine. You can get a large bike in and have 1 of the rear seats up as well (for when baby smurf comes for a ride).

Nice to drive as well given the size of the thing.

Recommended (from a former Porsche and BMW driver)

daveh
    Free Member

I paid £13k for a 6 month old, 8k miles 2.0 tdi Mondeo. Takes some beating at that price.

JollyGreenGiant
    Free Member

Been looking at Octavias.A VRS diesel would be very tempting nut seem rare and slightly over budget for the age I want.
    Did see a nice L & K edition though……..

glasgowdan
    Free Member

1.6d skoda roomster is a great wee family car.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)

The topic ‘Recommendations for a lightly used second hand family car?’ is closed to new replies.