Viewing 23 posts - 1 through 23 (of 23 total)
  • Recommendations for a bombproof Orrible Weather Jacket
  • Northwind

My Altura Attack Extreme has packed in- loved this jacket, I’ve lived in it for so many races. So looking for something similiar. It’s got to be durable and crashworthy, breathable, it doesn’t matter if it’s a little warm because it’ll only come out for bad weather, it can be a bit bulky too but I’m looking for a true waterproof not a softshell or dwr thing that wets out. No permanent hoods, removables are OK I guess but it means paying money for something I’ll take off and never use. Enough space in the arms for my hardshell elbow pads.

The Attack has immense vents- waterproof zips a foot long that totally open up the armpits, love these.

Oh and tbh I’d rather not spend a huge amount, just because it’s hard use kit and is entirely likely to get ripped to shreds. I appreciate top quality costs but I can’t afford to destroy a £300 jacket…

trusty

I’ve just ordered a Madison addict for the same purpose, can be had for £90 if you shop around.

limburger
    Free Member

Endura Stealth II. Had mine for three years now and is brilliant in cold weather (and totally waterproof, with lots of vents).

theboyneeds
    Free Member

MOD goretex? Gets a bit hot but it’s 30 quid ffs!

cumbrianmonkey
    Free Member

+1 for the Madison Addict

kimbers

Sombrio epic brawny dida good job at valelujah
    Bit sweaty as the backpack covers some of the rear vents, good price on crc

simonjj
    Free Member

Currently in the same position looking for a new jacket and the Gore power trail looks good and currently at 50% off at wiggle, only reservation is I’m unsure on how robust they are?
    http://www.wiggle.co.uk/gore-bike-wear-power-trail-gore-tex-active-shell-jacket-aw15/

yorkycsl
    Free Member

Recently treated me to a new Endura MT500, the new one, after years of Gore & the like I’m very impressed with it, comfortable very breathable & none of that scrunchy feel you can get from some jackets, Endura have recently upped there game to a new level with a lot of there kit & it shows.

It pissed down the first day with it on all day in the lakes & it was perfect, my lad has a Altura Attack Extreme the grey & yellowy green one & I’d easily rate the MT500 as good but slightly lighter.

Suggsey
    Free Member

Berghaus Vapour Storm.

chestercopperpot
    Free Member

Yeah that new Endura MT500 felt like a well made jacket when I got my hands on it. I’m a tight bar steward though, so not a chance!

I am used to heavy duty offshore waterproofs, obviously not practical for bike usage, so everthing else always seems like a bin bag with pound shop zips and poppers to me!

Got the Maddison Addict, IMO a fair quality/price trade off 3 layer MTB specific jacket, which fit’s me well and seems well designed for it’s purpose (the chest vents will divide opinion I’m sure). I will say the zips and poppers seem a bit flimsy (especially the hood attachment) and the shell material, unsurprisingly feels marginally thinner/less rugged than the much more expensive MT500. It’s survived one minor offage so far!

You want a 3 layer fabric, vents are a must IMO, beyond that it’s down to price, features and vent position preference.

jsync

Altura attack 360?

stevemorg2

Paramo – get a Quito or similar off the Paramo seconds store on EBay or 2nd for a lot less than the retail of @£200 – great jackets – a bit warm but I find them more comfortable than a normal shell over short sleeve tops

mcnultycop

My Mayhem has been perfect for years.

Northwind

Addict looks like a good option, cheers! Brawny looks good too. I was looking at the Altura options and didn’t see anything equivalent but actually it looks like the Mayhem has taken over the job…

That Gore one seems a bit confused, it says water resistant in one place and waterproof in another… But it looks like a pretty skinny fit.

Not keen on Endura to be honest, I can’t remember the last time I bought any Endura kit that was fit for purpose really, not keen to give them money even if these particular products are good.

@yorky, I think that’d be a 360 not an Extreme, with those colours. Not really sure what the difference is though!

somafunk

Out of your budget but what the hell – this is stw and folk never listen to max price recommendations so i’ll go ahead and say the Showers Pass Refuge Jacket is quite simply the best waterproof jacket i have used in 20+ years of searching for that #1 do it all jacket.

It is simply brilliant.

PS – it is sometimes available with a discount come holiday times etc or if you write a recommendation for previously bought showers pass goods then you get a 10% discount voucher.

zippykona

MOD goretex? Gets a bit hot but it’s 30 quid ffs!

They are truly excellent.
    Amazingly storm proof . What really surprised me is that when I wore it Christmas shopping I didn’t end up carrying it as I tend to overheat in shops.
    My one is great for walking but a bit short in the arms on the bike. They do however come in every size known to man.

pipiom
    Free Member

Madison Addict for me, as well. Go to jacket throughout this bogging winter; awesome but if kit (mines undamaged so there’s your crashproof evidence)…..just be careful if you have your phone/valuables in the chest pocket, with the vents open: the actual pocket is just near the vents,and if it rains,whatever’s in that pocket will get wet. Otherwise 10/10 for me.

highlandman
    Free Member

Keela. Bomber, very reasonably priced and made in the UK too.
    http://www.keela.co.uk/saxon-jacket.html

dreednya

Sweet Protection Delirious has been great for the last Welsh winter (read Autumn/winter/spring). Has easily outlasted and performed two pairs of Endure MT500 waterproof shorts, though they are in a high abrasion area! Thinking of getting the mud ride shorts to go with the jacket.

Tracey

Can vouch for both the Madison and the Sombrio. Both are good for us. Abigales Sombrio was great at the PMBA Day and Night Enduro and also the Tweedlove Enduro. Even the duct tape repairs are holding up. Both can be had cheap if you shop around.

yorkycsl
    Free Member

Stevemorg2 Paramo are superb & seriously impressive jackets & comes right down over your arse but …. jeez they are too warm even with massive pit zips open you cook, even in a full on lakes torrential down pour we were dry, missus & I have them & she won’t wear unless it’s freezing cold hence she got wet !!

stevemorg2

Fair enough – I’m a big fan – when it’s really hammering down I wouldn’t wear anything else – I know they are warmer but they are a lot more comfortable with a SS base layer – you don’t get the clammy feeling you get with most shells

Northwind

Hah. Well, just as I’d settled on the Madison, I remembered that I went down to a size small for this model Attack, so had a google and found one on sale. I am a cretin.

But thanks folks for all the help!

Viewing 23 posts - 1 through 23 (of 23 total)

The topic ‘Recommendations for a bombproof Orrible Weather Jacket’ is closed to new replies.