Viewing 22 posts - 1 through 22 (of 22 total)
  • Recommendations for 26" rigid fork.
  • PJay
    Free Member

I’m thinking about replacing the 100mm travel sus. fork on my 26″ wheeled steel hardtail with a rigid fork and was wondering what folk would recommend. It’d need to be straight steerer and 450 a-c (maybe a bit taller).

I’ve ridden steel rigid forks in the past, so would be happy to go that route, but carbon seems to be where it’s at at the moment. In terms of carbon I’m not really sure of the pros/cons between monocoque or alloy/carbon designs.

scotroutes

Exotic do a full range and are just fine

takisawa2

Having done this years ago, a 470mm (29er) fork works really well on a 100mm forked hard tail. (Inbred in my case).
    The Exotic offering, in alloy or carbon, are really light. If you can pick up some Singular Swift rigid, they ride really well. Certainly my favourite.

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    Andy-R

I’ll second the Singular fork suggestion – that or Salsa.

Wally

I run an exotic and they are regularly in classifieds, functional and reasonable price.

benp1

I’ve got a Salsa one if you’re interested?

PJay
    Free Member

My Pipedream Sirius frame will take 100-130mm sus. forks. Most 26″ rigid forks seem at 450mm a-c seem to equate to 100mm sus. forks. Would a 29er fork (they seem to be around the 470 a-c mark) work; I wouldn’t want to overly stress the headtube?

B.A.Nana
    Free Member

I bought Salsa CroMoto 445mm and Exotic carbon (Nukeproof branded ones) 445mm. Rode them back to back on the hilly, relatively none technical trails in the Dales, swapping a few times to give them a decent try out. Preferred the carbon fork as they gave a noticeably smoother ride. It is quite alarming tho, when you look down at them on a descent, they flex quite a bit.

sv

Better sticking to the ideal a2c, Pipedream actually sold one of the best steel forks but think they sold out a good while ago.

PJay
    Free Member

I’m afraid that Pipedream are rubbish when it comes to answering emails and really make you work hard to actually buy something from them. I’ve tried to get hold of them several times over the months to see if they had any Infinity forks left (they came out in 2010) but I can’t get a peep out of them; I assume that they’re still in business?

sv

Yes they are rubbish I did eventually get an answer, sold out 🙁 should never sold that bike…

‘Think’ mpart do something similar, for skinny steel frame I think skinny steel fork looks better. Oh the other option is a genesis fortitude fork, not sure there are any left either 440a2c

pickle
    Free Member

Glad it’s not just me then regards Pipedream, was looking at buying one of their frames a few months ago but decided not to after getting zero response from them.

PJay
    Free Member

The On-One MKM35s look interesting (although currently out of stockin disc only, straight steerer guise); they also do a monocoque fork and I’m not sure whether there’d be a outright winner out of the two. I’ll have a hunt around for steel rigids too.

The M:Part one looks to be aluminium (unless there’s a steel version too).

sv

Might have just thought the MPart one was steel! How about going via Ali:

Aliexpress steel fork

PJay
    Free Member

They look interesting; does anyone have any idea about the quality? On the carbon front I do like the look of the On-Ones.

crispedwheel
    Free Member

I have a Salsa cromoto – nice fork.

sv

Salsas are nice as are those MKM on ones.

TiRed

I have a Hylix 700c disk brake cyclocross frame on my Genesis ioid. Light, stiff and didn’t change the geometry. Looks more like the niner fork.

onlysteel
    Free Member

Now Pace are back they’ve reintroduced the RC31 carbon fork – 440mm.

PJay
    Free Member

Looking at the Pipedream website, quoted geometry for the Sirius is given based on a 480mm a-c fork (I assume that this would be 130mm travel). Does that mean that a 470 29 rigid fork would work or does a rigid fork place extra stress on the frame/headtube over a sus. fork?

Prophet2
    Free Member

I have been using the Exotic carbon rigids for a few months now. No issues with them, however I haven’t used any other rigid forks so I can’t compare.

rankbadjin
    Free Member

PJay, I have some new white brothers rock solids here, 445mm a-c, email in profile if they’re of any use to you.

Viewing 22 posts - 1 through 22 (of 22 total)

The topic ‘Recommendations for 26" rigid fork.’ is closed to new replies.