Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • recommendation time….. various thingies
  • alpin
    Free Member

so. getting my gear together for transalp ride in four (oh shittysticks) weeks time.

i need recommendations for the following (prob looking at ebay for most bits);

rain/wind proof jacket, Paclite? Softshell? or similar.
    skinny trousers/tights for sleeping, nopt riding because they are really silly looking.
    a headlamp for camping

biggest thing really is the jacket. hopefully won’t have to use it but best to have it there in case.

cheers

z1ppy

Well worth looking at thread about a cheap paclite jacket (if it’s still available):
    http://www.singletrackworld.com/forum/topic/psa-berghaus-paclite-jacket-for-43-great-for-biking

Paclite isn’t supposedly as ‘breathable’ as eVent jackets, but they pack down very small, so might be a better bet for you trip.

If you want a better jacket I’d recommend the DHB Wickham from Wiggle (I have the Gill branded version), bear in mind it’s almost double the price!

Stoner
    Free Member

alpkit head lamp LED for camping.

Great performer at silly low price.

thomthumb
    Free Member

would recomend compression tights for sleeping in – they will also help you feel less sore the next day – i got some cheapo ones from wiggle – and they really do work.

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

i like my RF atlas jacket, although it sits on the warm and waterporoof rather than super breathable side of the fence.

alpin
    Free Member

was going to pinch a pair of the GF’s wolly winter tights for sleeping.

re. the Berghaus Paclite offer… did have a look when the thread appeared but couldn’t work out what to do to get the discounted rate.

besides, i’m in germany. not sure how it works with extra postage costs….

cheers for the response, keep going…..

alpin
    Free Member

how do softshell jackets compare to paclite jackets?

vespa
    Free Member

I am doing this years Transalp(team DunRacin) as well and I am taking a gilet armwarmers and an emergency silver blanket. A full waterproof will be overkill but then again I am from Scotland so even if it rain it will be warmer than it is here.

Good luck with the preps see you over there. David

mrh86

Supposed to be pretty good – I have just ordered myself one: http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/Models.aspx?ModelID=29853
    Not sure whether it’s what you’re after or not though…

racing_ralph
    Free Member
    alpin
    Free Member

i’m not doing that silly race thing! more likely to be getting stoned in the evening, drinking at beer or two over a leisurely lunch and so on.

thanks for the links.

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)

The topic ‘recommendation time….. various thingies’ is closed to new replies.