Viewing 21 posts - 1 through 21 (of 21 total)
  • Recommendation for the commuters – Fibre Flare
  • richcc
    Free Member

Saw Fibre Flare on road.cc and thought it looked interesting. Saw one in Swinnertons and took the plunge and had it on the commuter this week. Really good bit of kit. Like the 360 degree coverage and the WTF is that factor that hopefully makes drivers notice it. Certainly made me a bit more confident on the section of my ride that's 3 miles of unlit dual carriageway.

No affiliation with the company – just think it's a good bit of kit. Perhaps a bit pricier than other rear lights but well worth it and substantially less than some of us spend on front lights!

rs
    Free Member

just looks like a long thing red light, am i missing something?

druidh
    Free Member

rs – you've essentially got it. The difference is the fact that it's got great all-round visibility and that it can be hung/strung from almost anywhere. This just means it's very flexible. I'd not rely on one as my only tail-light, but it's certainly useful for a bit of added "ooomph"

richcc
    Free Member

It's either a long red light or a long red bright strobe. I've not had a good look from a distance but I think it's brighter and more noticable than my Blackburn mars light

aP
    Free Member

I've been using one since the beginning of the year, in conjunction with a regular back light, just fixed to the top of my pannier rack. It doesn't seem to stop 30 something women knocking my elbow with their pretend BMW door mirrors but for mostly everyone else it seems ok. It's also handy for bus/ lorry drivers as it's visible at much greater angles than most of the current crop of led lamps.

redx

I've been using one for a couple of months and quite like it. My biggest concern on my cummute is filter lanes at traffic lights that cut the corner (for people turning left), so anything that can make me more visible from the side is welcome.

They're supposed to bringing out other colours soon, so thinking of getting a yellow one to strap to the side of the headtube….

Gary_M
    Free Member

I've been using one since last October. Thought it looked a bit flimsy when I fitted it but it's lasting well. I've fitted mine on the rhs seatstay and it's nice and bright. I presume it's doing it's job.

Would definately recommend one.

Gary_M
    Free Member

I've been using one since last October. Thought it looked a bit flimsy when I fitted it but it's lasting well. I've fitted mine on the rhs seatstay and it's nice and bright. I presume it's doing it's job.

Would definately recommend one. Will buy one of their side lights when they come out and I wish they would do a white version I could mount on my forks.

rootes1

looks like the sort of think Halfords sells so butty car owners to light up the insides of their chav mobiles

as for bike stuff, though they are naff the wheel valve LED lights are very visible

BigDummy
    Free Member

Thanks for this, I'd been wondering whether they were any good. I shall raid Wiggle forthwith. 😀

aP
    Free Member

Several of my colleagues at work have remarked on its visibility.
    Still doesn't stop the women in those stupid foxton minis from driving too close – but then they are all earning less than their company car tax bill at the moment so it would be wrong of me to expect them to take any notice of anything outide of their immediate environment

FuzzyWuzzy

Yeah quite impressed by mine to, I liked the way the instructions inside and the wording on the box contradicted to. One says not to bend at all and not to attach to clothes and the other says can bend something like 60-90 degrees and has a picture of it attached to a jacket.

Hairychested
    Free Member

I prefer this Polaris top.

crazy-legs

I might try one of those.

I've been using a Knog Skink mounted to the rear stay but I knackered the first one within the space of a few weeks and the second one I got as a warranty replacement has just died after maybe 3 months. Not impressed.

I've got a couple of other lights as well but something on the RH seatstay is very useful, even more so if it's got side visibility (something that the Knog doesn't).

MrAgreeable

I've not seen one in the flesh, but it doesn't really look "punchy" enough for crap weather conditions like rain and fog. It sort of looks like a glow stick. 🙂

redx

Sealing on them is pretty good. Mine's been through most of the winter so far and held up well. I have mine down the back of the seat tube and bending down onto the seat stay, so probably a bend of 25deg or so.

The clips are fairly simple, but you'll probably need to cut them a bit if you're using the seatstays to stop the excess flapping around too much.

The on/off button can be quite hard to find in the dark as it's not distinct, but if you remember which end it's at generally you get it first time.

scruff
    Free Member

richcc, Fenton Swinnos or the one on the Chase?

miketually
    Free Member

I like the video that shows a rider on an illegal bike with no front light: http://fibreflare.com/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=6

Gary_M
    Free Member

but you'll probably need to cut them a bit if you're using the seatstays to stop the excess flapping around too much

The excess flappage tucks in nicely under the 'clips'.

redx

Gary_M – good point. Cheers.

richcc
    Free Member

Scruff – Chase Swinnos is where I got mine £30ish with 10% off in their sale

Viewing 21 posts - 1 through 21 (of 21 total)

The topic ‘Recommendation for the commuters – Fibre Flare’ is closed to new replies.