Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Recommendation for an electric pump to get tubeless tyres started?
  • Bullet

My NN's go up easy with a track pump. Fitted Bonty Mud X's today – got one on but the other will not hook up and inflate – now have triceps like Scharwzenegger and one flat Mud X after marathon pumping session with the track pump! (well it's got a tube in for now but that's sacriledge on a tubeless rim ain't it?)

So, is there a high volume leccy pump that works (and isn't too expensive)?

househusband

I wouldn't recommend one at all, not for this application. For seating ghetto tubeless, tubeless, or UST tyres you need a reasonable volume of air delivered quickly – without a reservoir of air I doubt that any pump would work. CO2 cartridges work well but the CO2 can deteriorate the sealant. A proper compressor would be suitable, but I suspect more than you'd want to spend – circa £100 or so I'd guess.

Northwind

My grandad used to have a "compressor" for seating car tyres onto beads- an old truck tyre and wheel which he'd pump up to high pressure with a footpump, and a hose with a valve on either end. One end goes on pressurised tyre, the other on new tyre, open valve, pop.

Obviously, that's just a manual compressor with a reservoir, made out of what was to hand, you could do the same with your spare car tyre and a slow electric pump though. Trouble with car tyre inflators is that the actual pressure is very low (often the same with garage airlines) so it can be worse than a good track pump.

rich-6
    Free Member

You tried sticking a tube in to get one side seated, Letting the tube down popping one side of the bead off to remove the tube then lubing it up and pumping?

AirconAde
    Free Member

Aldi and Lidl do small compressors with accesory kits for around the fifty quid mark.
    I have one on my van which is dead handy.
    You just plug in to the mains to refil the 25L tank and then leave it till you need it. Has blow gun, spray gun and tyre inflator. Beats messing about with track pumps!

igm

Have you got enough rim tape in? Bit of Velox lifts the bead towards the rim and make it all a little easier. Works a treat on ghetto, and while I don't know about those expensive dedicated rims it might be worth a shot – certainly cheaper than a compressor. Or just go ghetto – it works very nicely.

igm

Helpful get int ah?

spooky_b329

Now you've had a tube in for a bit, you'll probably find it'll seat fine. I often struggle with new tyres or ones that have been rolled up for storage, from then on its plain sailing 🙂

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

The topic ‘Recommendation for an electric pump to get tubeless tyres started?’ is closed to new replies.