• This topic has 74 replies, 40 voices, and was last updated 15 years ago by jfeb.
Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 75 total)
  • Recommendation for a watch
  • jfeb
    Free Member

My beloved Tag Heuer watch has died after 13 years of good service.

What watches should I be looking at for around £500 in a similar style to Tag’s?

Better still, something on sale!

matthewjb
    Free Member

What is your Tag like? Steel?

Any features you want on the watch? Stop watch? Water resistant?

surfer
    Free Member

I’v still got an early Tag Formula 1, a graduation present from 1991. Never misses a beat.

I have more recently got an Oris which I am very happy with.

matthewjb
    Free Member

How about this Seiko? Japanese only model. Pretty rare in the UK.

Or this Hamilton?

Two time zones. Can be had on different coloured straps.

Oris are good as well. I’m not sure what you would get for £500.

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

Seiko would get my vote at that money, but maybe not that one! Great value, great watches. If you can stump up a little more, get an understated Omega.

matthewjb
    Free Member

If you can stump up a little more, get an understated Omega.

Not sure what you would get.

How about a Quartz Seamaster for £650?

chakaping
    Free Member

I asked for watch gift advice before Xmas and was steered towards Christopher Ward.

Their watches are indeed lovely, and quite reasonably priced – and they currently have a sample sale that includes some very nice looking steel models.

Would have snapped one up for myself but think they’d be a bit chunky for my puny wrist.

surfer
    Free Member

The first Seiko looks like an Omega wannabe!

They make good watches though, if a bit boring (in the way that reliable Japanese cars are boring)
    Believe it or not I chose my Oris over a Rolex! The Rolex was over 4 times the price but I liked it better (hard to believe maybe)

richcc
    Free Member

For £500ish I’d be looking at something like the Oris Big Crown range – I like the look of those. If you can run to a bit more then Omega Seamaster’s are very nice. Also worth bearing in mind that if you have hard cash and are serious about buying then jewellers will move on the sticker price – especially in the current climate.

matthewjb
    Free Member

The first Seiko looks like an Omega wannabe!

They make good watches though, if a bit boring (in the way that reliable Japanese cars are boring)

I know what you mean. Although the limited edition Japanese market stuff is better. How about this one? Only $7,000

Believe it or not I chose my Oris over a Rolex!

I can understand that. There are very few Rolexes I’d have but Oris make some good watches.

jfeb
    Free Member

What is the quality of Christopher Ward watches like? They are pretty “inexpensive” (plus I can get a 10% discount)

And to the first questions – my Tag is steel, don’t need any features apart from waterproof, date and a face that really does show up at night (my Tag is readable all night)

Woody
    Free Member
    jfeb
    Free Member

Woody – nice but too expensive 🙁

matthewjb
    Free Member

This Omega looks like it meets all your criteria.

If your buying brand new you should get a serious discount in the current market.

brant
    Free Member

matthewjb
    Free Member

If you really want to push the boat out…….

I’d prefer something a bit more understated..

GW
    Free Member

Any £10 Casio will last way longer than 13years

TheFunkyMonkey
    Free Member

I’va had This beautyfor about 10 years now. I.m just about to send it back for its second battery and service. It goes back to the factory in Switzerland and last time it cost me £35 including having a new glass fitted!

It’s really thin and comfortable on the wrist and looks stunning even after 10 years.

I’ve got a Steel Tag and a gangster rap gold Rolex Oyster(inherited) too, but this is the one I wear mostly.

chakaping
    Free Member

Jfeb – I know next to nothing about watches, but the Christopher Ward watch I bought for my Dad (Henley Automatic) was obviously a very impressive and high-quality item.

I’m buying another model for myself from their sample sale in fact.

coffeeking
    Free Member

I Dont get watches somehow, they annoy me by being on my wrist. They get in the way. I have to take them off to work. I forget where I’ve put them and generally lose track of them, have to use my mobile which serves perfectly. £500 on a watch seems criminal to me, but each to his own I guess! My casio thermometer watch still works 15 years and two batteries on, but it has had 2 £3 straps and is now in my drawer as the last strap-caught-on-bike-while-crashing event damaged tha casing.

colnagokid

Your TAG hasnt died, it does need an overhaul!
    a good TAG dealer will be able to do it, new battery, glass, bezzle, friction-ring, seals, cleaned etc. I paid £125 to get a F1 done and that included a new strap!
    and the same to get a rolex serviced-no battery obviously, but new glass, seals etc. it came back like new, not a scratch to be seen!
    Also that panerai will cost you rather more than£500, as it says you have push the boat out!!! nice tho

colnagokid

Your TAG hasnt died, it does need an overhaul!
    a good TAG dealer will be able to do it, new battery, glass, bezzle, friction-ring, seals, cleaned etc. I paid £125 to get a F1 done and that included a new strap!
    and the same to get a rolex serviced-no battery obviously, but new glass, seals etc. it came back like new, not a scratch to be seen!
    Also that panerai will cost you rather more than£500, as it says you have push the boat out!!! nice tho

MountainMutant
    Free Member
    JonEdwards
    Free Member

I had a Christpher Ward for Christmas (C6 Kingfisher with a white/champagne face). It’s a beautiful piece of kit, and the presentation and paperwork (all hand signed and dated by CW) adds to the feeling of owing something special.

As above though – what about getting the TAG serviced? Any watch of that kind of calibre should last for a LOT longer than 13 years. Hell, I got 10 out of a cheapo Animal one.

bonzodog
    Free Member

I cant believe anyone would really pay £500 for a watch. 😀

surfer
    Free Member

I’m not a materialistic person but its not difficult to understand.
    A good one will not depreciate and may gain value. They can look great and will often last for many years and during its life has a hugely useful purpose.

RudeBoy
    Free Member

I like nice watches (hardly any of the above are nice; all ugly bulky things), but for day to day use, a cheap Casio is surely a far better bet? This ‘you get what you pay for’ thing is bullsh1t. I’ve seen things like Sekondas last longer than expensive stuff. And the most accurate timepiece I’ve ever owned was a £20 Swatch. Lost about a second every 2 months. The casing eventually disintegrated, sadly.

I like the idea of something being serviceable, rather than disposable. So I’m not totally against a watch costing a lot of money. But a lot of it is just hype. Modern quartz watches are going to be more reliable than any mechanical thing, over time, and are less affected by heat, humidity and magnetic forces.

Spending a lot of mone on a piece of jewllery is a bit different. Because that’s all expensive watches are; jewellery, and status symbols. Go ahead, spend what you want, but don’t buy into the marketing crap.

You want accuracy? Get a radio signal watch. From about £50 or so.

pantsonfire
    Free Member

My Sewills automatic cost me £150 15 years ago still keeps good time bargain in my opinion

sq225917
    Free Member

Still digging this 3 years after i bought it.

surfer
    Free Member

Vive la difference!

You enjoy your cheap tat and leave us alone to admire quality timepieces.

RudeBoy
    Free Member

No, don’t get me wrong, I like nice watches! But I appreciate them for what they are; jewelry. Functional jewelry, but jewelry nonetheless. I have a nice little Seiko, actually. Stylish and understated. My uncle has a lovely old Omega, that he has cleaned and serviced periodically. I can see the appeal of something that will last.

As for cheap tat, most of the stuff above looks like that vulgar junk you pick up in far-eastern flea markets. 😉

pantsonfire’s watch is very ice, though. I like that.

What I would like, is an old-school LED digital watch, like the first digital watches. Before LCDs became popular. Anyone know of such a thing?

jfeb
    Free Member

Fair point about my TAG having not died – I haven’t checked with a jeweller yet. It is started stopping randomly and then starting again. The battery should be fine (it hasn’t started jumping 2 seconds at a time) and I can’t find any pattern to the stopping and starting. I am loathe to spend £100 having it sent away and investigated only for them to tell me it can’t be fixed or will cost me another £100 to fix.

I do need to speak to a TAG dealer to find out the costs of having it looked at/serviced though.

(It was serviced about 4 yrs ago when a new face was fitted)

trevorx
    Free Member

You want a Tissot T-touch Touch.

Get a few good functions too and the oh so sexy touch sensitive screen.

dooosuk
    Free Member

jfeb – have a look at this link:

http://www.chealwatch.com

Someone from this forum recommended them before Christmas on the old forum. Prices look very good.

matthewjb
    Free Member

I don’t think anyone buys an expensive mechanical watch because it’s more accurate. Of course a quartz will keep time as well but I like my watch that will run forever just powered by the movement of my arm.

It’s a bit like paying £4000 for a push bike. It doesn’t get you to your destination 10 times faster than a £400 bike. But the journey may be more enjoyable.

DezB
    Free Member

Can those £500+ watches take a beating? Or do you have to be careful with them?

colnagokid

jfeb, I dont think youll be charged for them to have a look at it, just to service.
    some dealers do it instore so they dont send them away, Berry’s for example, dont know if you have one near you, worth a trip though just to fantasize.
    Ive got a cheap casio that cost £10 12years ago-I bought it for the stop watch- still going strong, never had a battery, and I was offered the chance to insure it for £1 extra!!!

gixer.john
    Free Member

My Tag is better at keeping accurate time than my Oris. Took the Oris back to the shop last week to tell them it was running too fast. Watch is now back in Switzerland being re-calibrated.
    I tend to buy watches in the January sales when they are about half price. Don’t like anything with loads of dials that i never use and can’t read. Just time, seconds, day and date will do.
    Do like the Bell&Ross models.

thewombles
    Free Member

boys and girls…….nothing beats this monster….trust me this is the Large hadron Collider of the Wristwatch world : )

happy timekeeping ; )

surfer
    Free Member

Gixer.john

Interesting you say that my mate has a Rolex and he always checks the time with me on my Oris!
    Bit of a standing joke…….. I suppose you have to be there!

Anyway nothing keeps time like my original Formula 1. Cant kill it with a stick!

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 75 total)

The topic ‘Recommendation for a watch’ is closed to new replies.